PDA

View Full Version : My first site (quanta +) feedback

anfractuosities
May 10th, 2008, 02:03 AM
this is my first site I have made since learning html and css. I programmed it using Quanta+ and Flash for the music player. If you have a minute let me know what you think.

http://uhlan.ca

Thanks for everyone's help with my programming questions too!!

Victormd
May 10th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Hey, the site looks really nice and the music pretty cool!
obs/tip/opinion:
Usually, sites look better when made to be viewed on 800x600, eventhough most screens use much higher resolution. The reason is that, when not using full screen, the site will still look and feel like you intended. What I noticed is that when I clicked on a link (not in full screen), the output would partially cover the link list and in some cases (music box and photoalbum), some links would become unaccessable so I would need to go to full screen to select something else. You might want to rethink the position of your site elements.

Other than that, I really liked the site, clean, simple and functional!
The "Uhlan kid" looks really neat and loved the music player concept!
Good job!

Kadrus
May 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM
ok..the site looks nice..but there are some things you can fix..when you go to the music link (http://uhlan.ca/music.html) the other links get covered..i suggest fixing that..and when you put about Uhlan...uhlanmusic@gmail.com is too close to the bio link (http://uhlan.ca/bio.html)..so i suggest fixing those things..besides that..the sites looks neat..keep it up ^_^

ashdezign
May 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Nice Design, but there are a few things you could improve to give the site visitor a better experience.

As Victormd said sites usually look better when the layout has a max width between 800 and 1000 pixels.

One other suggestion I would make is to set the music player to require the viewer to hit play rather than start playing as soon as the page loads. I cannot begin to count the number of times I followed a link and had a heart attack from the sudden loud music that started playing I was unprepared for. Followed by a mad scramble to kill the volume on my speakers while I try to figure out which of the tabs I loaded in Firefox is responsible.

Sometimes your viewers will be in an office environment, sometimes they may have music already playing. Giving them control of when and if the music plays ensures that when they listen it is willfully and with full attention.

Remember, once your site is live visitors may enter your site through any one of your pages. As people link to your site and search engines index your site your visitors may not always enter through your homepage. So they may not always be expecting music on the other side of the link.

smartbei
May 10th, 2008, 10:44 AM
What kadrus is reporting is due to using a smaller than 1024x768 resolution. A website today should support resolutions down to 800x600, so this should probably be fixed. There are similar problems with the images (if you open one of them it covers the rightmost thumbnail).

anfractuosities
May 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM
made some heavy modifications to the fluid layout, and photo gallery support for ie's silly ignorance of :hover

Please take another look and let me know what you think....

p.s. its funny that these forums are the only ones I receive replies about my coding in, even though it is an ubuntu forum. It is such a great community

THANKS to EVERYONE!

anfractuosities
May 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
is there anybody out there?

Can+~
May 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM
You should try on the Art and design section if you're looking for comments on the layout.

It's nice, but I don't like how some of the trees lower are blurry, and other are pixelated.