PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 6.06 to 8.04 Failing from console

pdragon04
May 10th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Decided to try and upgrade my 6.06 server to 8.04 today and haven't had any luck. It's giving me the following error:

root@server:~# do-release-upgrade -d
Checking for a new ubuntu release
Done Upgrade tool signature
Done Upgrade tool
Done downloading
extracting 'hardy.tar.gz'
authenticate 'hardy.tar.gz' against 'hardy.tar.gz.gpg'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade", line 56, in ?
fetcher.run()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/UpdateManagerCore/DistUpgradeFetcherCore.py", line 183, in run
self.runDistUpgrader()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/UpdateManagerCore/DistUpgradeFetcherCore.py", line 148, in runDistUpgrader
os.execv(self.script,args)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

I've run "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" and everything is up to date. The server has run absolutely fine for several years now, so not sure what's wrong. Anyone have any ideas? Tried asking in #ubuntu-server, but had them stumped there. Really trying to avoid a reload from scratch.

Pumalite
May 10th, 2008, 12:19 AM
You might want to try this:

sudo sed -i 's/dapper/hardy/' /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I haven't tried it myself, but it should work

pdragon04
May 10th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I really do appreciate the help, but if anyone could confirm this is works, and why I'm getting the error I am, I'd appreciate it. This is a live server I'm upgrading. I've got everything backed up of course and could recover with a clean install. Would just MUCH longer than upgrading and waste a lot of time.

pdragon04
May 10th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Someone else in IRC was having similar upgrade problems, but with different errors. Bug was reported.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager-core/+bug/228849