PDA

View Full Version : [edubuntu] [SOLVED] Want to Install Ubuntu on Donated Computer, but BIOS is Password Protected

tuebinger
May 9th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Our classroom received a donated computer today. I want to put Educbuntu on it, but when I try to enter the BIOS setup to change the boot sequence (so I can boot Edubuntu from the CD-ROM) it asks for a password. No one knows what the password is. Does anyone know if there is a way around this?

rickh57
May 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM
There is usually a way to get past that by changing a jumper inside the computer, but that depends upon the BIOS being used.

Steveway
May 9th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Reset your BIOS.
You could do this by either taking out the BIOS-battery for some time or many mainboards have extra jumpers that you can set to reset the BIOS.

imT
May 9th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Reset your BIOS.
You could do this by either taking out the BIOS-battery for some time or many mainboards have extra jumpers that you can set to reset the BIOS.

+1 i once had a similar problem, in my case i forgot my own pass(was too big and wasn't recognised after) :lolflag:, anyhow the thing with the BIOS battery is worked for me.

tuebinger
May 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try following your suggestions. Thanks again!

UPDATE: Taking out the battery worked and was very easy! We recently got another BIOS protected computer and I was able to reset it no problem. My co-worker thinks I'm a computer genius, however I did give credit where credit is due and told him I got the idea from this bulletin board. Thank you, thank you, thank you.