PDA

View Full Version : Show Ubuntu to the world

Gwijde
May 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Hi all,

I've noticed that around here (Hungary, just to clarify), all the computers advertised as having Linux installed, have Knoppix on them, which doesn't really reflect what Linux is capable of, believe me, it looks terrible on certain machines...

So now I was thinking, wouldn't it be great if all these pc's had Ubuntu instead of Knoppix? I know that in the US, Wal-Mart has notebooks with gOS, which is really great, cuz it looks ok, but Knoppix just doesn't show all of Linux's strengths. Do you think it is advisable to approach the store, and tell them about Ubuntu? Or how should I go about letting the world know about its existence?

--Gwijde

CSMatt
May 9th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Not sure how it works in Hungary, but in the US most stores are just resellers and usually have little to nothing to do with the software on the computers they sell. You're probably better off just contacting the OEM.

smartboyathome
May 9th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I think that since they sell them with Knoppix, they know about Ubuntu. You can suggest it to them, but they might not want to do that.

SuperSon!c
May 9th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hi all,

I've noticed that around here (Hungary, just to clarify), all the computers advertised as having Linux installed, have Knoppix on them, which doesn't really reflect what Linux is capable of, believe me, it looks terrible on certain machines...

So now I was thinking, wouldn't it be great if all these pc's had Ubuntu instead of Knoppix? I know that in the US, Wal-Mart has notebooks with gOS, which is really great, cuz it looks ok, but Knoppix just doesn't show all of Linux's strengths. Do you think it is advisable to approach the store, and tell them about Ubuntu? Or how should I go about letting the world know about its existence?

--Gwijde

wow, talk about a weird choice for an install... knoppix is the king of live cd's imo, but as a desktop? rofl.

aaaantoine
May 9th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Knoppix? I didn't even know it had an install version. I thought it was Live CD only.

FuturePilot
May 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Knoppix installed on PCs? Lol
Yes, it can be installed. I've done it before. There's an installer on the live CD. But that seems like the worst distro to sell with a PC. It's best as a live CD.

Gwijde
May 9th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I am happy to see you all agree about Knoppix being the worst distro to provide beginning Linuxers with.

@ CSMatt: the computers come empty, they just give you the cd with it, and you have to install it yourself.

So do you think it would be a good idea to give them a few Ubuntu Live CD's, and tell them that that's better than their current distro? Probably demonstrate it to them? Or do you think it's no use trying?

madjr
May 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I am happy to see you all agree about Knoppix being the worst distro to provide beginning Linuxers with.

@ CSMatt: the computers come empty, they just give you the cd with it, and you have to install it yourself.

So do you think it would be a good idea to give them a few Ubuntu Live CD's, and tell them that that's better than their current distro? Probably demonstrate it to them? Or do you think it's no use trying?

go for it :D

i would recommend ubuntu and it's derivatives only.

but you may want to bring along linuxmint (version 5 is almost out) also in case you want to show video and mp3 playback right in the live-cd.

else if you want bling bling i would go with gOS space
http://www.thinkgos.com/

illu45
May 10th, 2008, 12:12 AM
go for it :D

i would recommend ubuntu and it's derivatives only.

but you may want to bring along linuxmint (version 5 is almost out) also in case you want to show video and mp3 playback right in the live-cd.

else if you want bling bling i would go with gOS space
http://www.thinkgos.com/

I do not know about the laws in Hungary, but the store may not want to sell Linux Mint pre-installed, as it has proprietary codecs pre-installed, afaik (if I am wrong on this, feel free to correct me), which may lead to legal trouble down the road.

Aside from that, I would definitely drop off a few LiveCDs and offer to give them a demo if they're interested. Since they are selling Linux pre-installed on their machines, they are more likely to be open-minded than Windows or Apple resellers. I've never tried to install Knoppix, but, as it is primarily a LiveCD distribution, I cannot imagine that it would be a particularly good primary distro.

madjr
May 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I do not know about the laws in Hungary, but the store may not want to sell Linux Mint pre-installed, as it has proprietary codecs pre-installed, afaik (if I am wrong on this, feel free to correct me), which may lead to legal trouble down the road.

Aside from that, I would definitely drop off a few LiveCDs and offer to give them a demo if they're interested. Since they are selling Linux pre-installed on their machines, they are more likely to be open-minded than Windows or Apple resellers. I've never tried to install Knoppix, but, as it is primarily a LiveCD distribution, I cannot imagine that it would be a particularly good primary distro.

those laws mostly apply only to the U.S. and to the CD thing

but even there gPC sells with everything pre-installed including codecs, dvd playback, java, flash, etc..

Gwijde
May 10th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Do you think Canonical would approve of this though? I mean, should I ask for their consent or is that unnecessary?

atomkarinca
May 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Do you think Canonical would approve of this though? I mean, should I ask for their consent or is that unnecessary?

I think you should first check out the hardware on those machines. If they are perfectly compatible with Ubuntu then you can even request free cd's from ShipIt (https://shipit.ubuntu.com/).

Gwijde
May 13th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Hi again,

I'd previously ordered two Ubuntu 8.04 cd's (for me and a "converted" friend of mine), and I'm planning to use them to check hardware compatibility. I went to the shop I'm planning to talk to, it's Mediamarkt if you're interested, and as it turns out, I can just try them out by inserting the disk. I can't believe that some of them were being shown with a "Operating System Missing" message!

Anyhow, I've got exams in the near future (tomorrow), but after that, my friend and I will have our chance. Thanks for the help, guys!