PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wow, how reliable.

Aesir09
May 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM
So i thought it would be cool to do my demonstration speech in speech class on How to use and install Ubuntu Linux.

it was today and everything was going well and i go to plug my laptop into the projector and my teachers projector starts going haywire and there is no sign of my laptop being detected.

why doesn't it just recognize it like windows does?

0/150 on my speech. sweet.

SynthesizersFTW
May 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Sorry to hear it.

Always, ALWAYS take your stuff to where you are going to be and do a dry run ahead of time. Multi-monitor support is not trivial to get going (as you had the misfortune of finding out). There are folks who are really knowledgeable in the configuration of Xorg in the forums, ask around in the Hardware & Laptops section and they can tell you how to hack your Xorg.conf to mirror your primary display.

Good luck, hopefully you can get a reprieve on your grade!

warbread
May 10th, 2008, 01:04 PM
My VGA output works out of the box on my laptop. Is there any difference between LCD monitors and projectors as far as Xorg is concerned?

kayosiii
May 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
make sure you are trying to output to a resolution that the projector can handle....
Typically this is less than what a screen can handle - you will need to set your screen to that resolution before connecting to the projector.

This is true for non ubuntu systems too. Have had plenty of fun getting windows systems to talk nicely to projectors in past.

Stochastic
May 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
With my ATI card, when I was using a dual monitor setup, it worked fine without compositing but with any compositing things got really screwy really quick (ATI's fault from what I read). And I remember needing to have the second monitor plugged in when X started under one of my working configurations. This was of course back in the days of Feisty, so I'd imagine things have changed a bit.

And yeah, if a dry-run isn't feasible, you should at least look up what you're wanting to do, on the net, and assess if any special workarounds are common fixes. In this case I would have checked on the forums for your video card and a keyword such as dual or second.

Edit: Also, if you really wanted to still get marks on your speech, you should have admitted the technical issue and asked people to gather around your computer screen; then went on with the speech. The 0 is kinda your fault.

vexorian
May 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM
You kind of deserve the 0 though, sure it is ubuntu's fault in some way, but I really think this should teach you to test things before trying, specially when messing with projectors - those demon spawns always cause you problems if you didn't prepare...

Though I've seen ubuntu in demonstrations with projectors a lot of times, I think it requires/depends on something about the graphics driver.

robeast
May 11th, 2008, 05:27 AM
harsh