PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying Ubuntu on top of XP, Credant doesn't allow it to work

speedgator
May 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Credant Mobile Guardian - app that encrypts files on your drive.
I tried Ubuntu install with wubi 3 times before realizing that it was dying at the grub screen most likely due to this app not allowing Ubuntu access to the drive. Anyone encounter this? Work around? Trying to get Credant removed but corp policy and all...

I get code end: 0x412E0
and then just the grub> prompt :(
I googled the code and got nothing at all.

After no luck with that (still trying other venues to get Credant safely off) I then revived a IBM X22 laptop I had, PIII 800MHz with 384MB RAM, not fancy but I thought it should do the trick. Seems I have it running there, though slowly, but here I go into the Ubuntu world :D

Any advice, tips, suggestions, etc greatly appreciated.

Pumalite
May 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
If you want something faster, you could try Xubuntu. It's a lighter Desktop.

speedgator
May 9th, 2008, 09:43 PM
How can you point ubuntu to install where you want it to? Instead of the default c:\ubuntu within *******?
i tried running wubi and don't see an option to change that.

TIA

Pumalite
May 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Sorry; don't know anything about wubi.

user_linux08
May 9th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I run in the same problem with my brand new Dell Vostros 1400 w/ Windows XP. Tried to partitioned the HD with no luck. After which I ended complying with the default setup. Now I have no idea what is stored where.

Just the thought of working with ubuntu under the shadow of windows makes me leery. (What happens if the windows partition gets corrupted, and needs to be re-formatted and reloaded.?)

What I prefer is to partition the HD as follow:
Windows (only) OS: ± 20GB (to type this ±, alt-241)
Ubuntu (only OS: ± 10GB
Home & My Documents: the rest of the HD to be accessible by both OSs.

I appreciate ant advise on this issue.