PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] blocking sites

Dude Guadalupe
May 9th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I work at a hotel, and against my will, have been put in charge of keeping up with the guest computer. It is curently running XP and is loaded with viruses and spyware everytime time I come back from my two days off.

My boss has given me permission to use Linux, but I need to know if there is anyway to block certain sites since this is a public computer and kids are ussually around.

Is there a program, or is there a fuction already in OS?

cdenley
May 9th, 2008, 08:52 PM
If you have certain domains in mind, the easy solution would be to add entries to your hosts file.

127.0.0.1 www.bad-domain.com

Anyone looking up www.bad-domain.com would be connecting to the local webserver, or get a "Failed To Connect" error if you're not running one. This solution would work on Linux, Windows, or Mac.

The hosts file is located at:
/etc/hosts

or for windows:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Dude Guadalupe
May 9th, 2008, 08:59 PM
The thing is, so many people use this machine at many different times for many different things. It would take forever to track down all the different sites. Is there anything that can cover most of it for me and I could pick up the rest myself?

hsweet
May 9th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks.. I'm going to use the last suggestion on my students..:) Monday.

Another thing you can do is set up a white or black list fire-wall wise. Firestarter makes that pretty simple.
sudo apt-get install firestarter

You might also check out opendns.com You can quickly set up a proxy server and block categories.

Dude Guadalupe
May 9th, 2008, 09:06 PM
These look like good places to start. I think I'm going to try each one to see what happens.

brian_p
May 9th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I work at a hotel, and against my will, have been put in charge of keeping up with the guest computer. It is curently running XP and is loaded with viruses and spyware everytime time I come back from my two days off.

My boss has given me permission to use Linux, but I need to know if there is anyway to block certain sites since this is a public computer and kids are ussually around.

Is there a program, or is there a fuction already in OS?

I've never used dansguardian but it is the package which always seems to be recommended for this sort task.

Monicker
May 10th, 2008, 05:37 AM
I've never used dansguardian but it is the package which always seems to be recommended for this sort task.

Yes, dansguardian would work well. There are several free blacklists which can be loaded into it; they had links to them at the dansguardian web site the last time I checked. Dansguardian can also filter based on keywords in the content of the page itself, and then block when a certain threshold of unwanted keywords is reached. It has several predefined categories - violence, sex, drugs, etc. Of course, you can also tweak those yourself, or create your own categories. This give you the ability block unwanted sites even if the domain is not specifically blacklisted.