PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Backport Repo + New Kernel Header = OMFG!! WOW!!!

Therion
May 9th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I know the backport repo's and what not are "risky", but a couple nights ago I enabled all the additional repos under the "Updates" tab for Hardy... Once I did, I got a big bunch of updates (not surprising) including a kernel header update (ending in -17 if memory serves).

Having had a couple days now to determine it's NOT just some kind of placebo effect, I'm shocked at how fast my PC is running Hardy. I mean... WOW! Has anyone else installed this Kernel update? There's a bit of a buzz starting on another 'buntu forum I'm on about this with a few people reporting long standing errors being corrected and significant speed increases. Firefox is probably the most noticeable, page loads are like changing channels on my TV, but everything, across the board just has more "SNAP"...

All I can say is WOW!!! Wow, wow, wow...

Pumalite
May 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I have it at least 3 weeks.

agibby5
May 9th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I have had this enabled, but I am still on the -16 kernel. I'd like to update this. When I run 'apt-get update' and then apt-get upgrade' no updates are presented... What can I do to upgrade to this kernel? I'm really trying to avoid compiling my own, for the time being.

Pumalite
May 9th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Go to System>Administration>Software Sources and enable all your repos, especially backports and updates.

agibby5
May 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Go to System>Administration>Software Sources and enable all your repos, especially backports and updates.

I have had this enabled, but I am still on the -16 kernel.

Note my response above, I already have those options enabled.

agibby5
May 12th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Looks like the -17 kernel can be found under the hardy-proposed repositories.