PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sp3

BomanAJeff
May 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I dual boot, XP and Ubuntu.

I just downloaded the XP SP3, but I haven't installed it yet. I first want to make sure it won't trash grub. I don't have space for a separate /home partition, so I don't want to lose what I have.

Would I be OK, or would there be a problem?

Em-Buntu
May 9th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I've heard that sp3 will hose your system if you are running an AMD processor. It should be ok if you have Intel.

Bakker
May 9th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I can confirm that it does not mess with the MBR. Just installed it fine on my laptop.

jbr6700
May 10th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I've heard that sp3 will hose your system if you are running an AMD processor. It should be ok if you have Intel.

I just installed SP3 on one of the boxes here with no issues. Add in that it is one of the AMD based system's that everyone is jabbering about (read Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe) having issues with SP3, I am pretty pleased so far with it. From some of the post I read SP3 has particular issues on that model with a single hard drive installed. Plugging a USB drive prior to boot seems to take care of it. I do have a second internal hard drive installed outside of the RAID array on which might account for my good fortunes on that unit. Make sure you shut down all other apps and unecessary processes before trying to load SP3.