PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] SP3 causing havoc...

Kevbert
May 9th, 2008, 07:23 PM
It's not only Ubuntu that occasionally has problems:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207600950

fatality_uk
May 9th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I can't wait for SP4 to pop up :D

Wanna bet they wont release one? ;)

regomodo
May 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM
i couldn't get windows update to install it, so i used the direct download link. Installed, worked as normal afterwards. [nobody make jokes about the meaning of "normal"]

amar
May 9th, 2008, 07:29 PM
It just 'failed' when I tried to run it earlier today. I shrugged and restarted back to Ubuntu. Will try again next time I boot into XP (Some point next week)

insane_alien
May 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
you would think one of the worlds largest corporations would at least check is products before releasing them. you don't see ford releasing a car that literally falls apart after a few months. or fails when you bolt on a spoiler to it(if your into that kind of gash)

HangukMiguk
May 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Among them: A feature called Network Access Protection that's borrowed from the newer Windows Vista operating system. NAP automatically validates a computer's health, ensuring that it's free of bugs and viruses before allowing it access to a network.

Well, that'll probably kick the whole world into a dark age.

SuperSon!c
May 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM
*yawn*

keykero
May 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I've updated 3 XP machines with no problems whatsoever, including one computer from 2003. But you see, the problem for Microsoft is that out of millions and millions of installs that will go without incident, the relatively few that have problems will make headline news and subsequently become fodder for the "zomg use linux m$ sucks!!!1" crowd. Windows XP supports an incalculable number of hardware combinations, yet on par it still works very well and will continue to do so for most of the world.

Npl
May 9th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Hmm, I bet most of the people having problems did "pimp" Windows with some shoddy tools, and SP3 did break them. Installed SP3 on 4 Computers and had zero troubles.

CSMatt
May 9th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Given the problems that SP2 is reported to have caused, I'm honestly not surprised.

fatality_uk
May 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Hmm, I bet most of the people having problems did "pimp" Windows with some shoddy tools, and SP3 did break them. Installed SP3 on 4 Computers and had zero troubles.

I can't remember where I read it, proably el reg, but SP3 was delayed due to it busting Microsoft's OWN ERP system into bits. So not just "pimped" machines!

Kevbert
May 10th, 2008, 07:50 AM
SP3 was actually delayed twice. With SP2 I had problems with my wireless and bluetooth on my laptop (sounds familiar). At least it means more people will start looking at Linux (and hopefully Ubuntu in particular).

jespdj
May 10th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I've updated 3 XP machines with no problems whatsoever, including one computer from 2003.
Do any of those machines have an AMD processor? I've read that the problem only happens on machines with an AMD processor.

Tundro Walker
May 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I can't wait for SP4 to pop up :D

Wanna bet they wont release one? ;)

It's called Win7, and it'll cost you another $200

Paqman
May 10th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I tried to install the SP3 RC a few weeks back and it crashed, taking down my whole Windows install with it. Had to reinstall completely, which is an experience that always reminds me how much quicker it is to reinstall a Linux distro.

Got the final version through Windows Update the other day. Happy to say this time it went seamlessly.

dotancohen
May 10th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I just installed Ubuntu on a machine that the user installed SP3 on. His machine would not complete the boot process after installing SP3. To tell the truth, I think that his Windows version was pirated but I'm not sure. I installed Ubuntu 8.04, and didn't even tell him it's not Windows. It's been a full day now, and so far no complaints. He was already using Firefox but I was expecting to hear complaints about Open Office. No complaints yet, but it is still early.

SuperSon!c
May 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM
yep, i imagine alot of issues are with pirated copies. boo hoo.

Twitch6000
May 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
yep, i imagine alot of issues are with pirated copies. boo hoo.

You think I want to pay for it when it wants to kill my computer :p.
I have had to reformat lets see....6 or 7 times thanks to windows lol.Well one time due to me and arch =[.

Really though I will stick with sp2 so when I am on windows at least it will look nice with style xp working..

SuperSon!c
May 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
You think I want to pay for it when it wants to kill my computer :p.
I have had to reformat lets see....6 or 7 times thanks to windows lol.Well one time due to me and arch =[.

Really though I will stick with sp2 so when I am on windows at least it will look nice with style xp working..

i've only EVER reinstalled and reformatted because that's what i do with ALL of my OS's after about 6 months. you people blow it WAY out of proportion. either that, or you have no clue what you're doing.

Tundro Walker
May 10th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Windows XP supports an incalculable number of hardware combinations, yet on par it still works very well and will continue to do so for most of the world.

I'm curious why Microsoft, as it got bigger, didn't start cracking down on hardware vendors, forcing them to make things a bit more standardized. I know now in Vista, you get pretty much get the latest drivers for your gfx card, etc through the Windows Update utility. I'm just wondering why it took so freaking long for them to leverage their weight as the "OS of choice" to pull an Apple and tell vendors to straighten up or they won't get supported.

Naturally, I guess this has to do with the vendors offering their own drivers. But, Microsoft still has to take all that crap into account when doing updates or new versions. Must be a headache.