PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones...

philliptweedie
May 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Mine has just died. In an interesting way. The display turned a nice purpley green for a while, then upside down for a while, now the whole things entirely dead. I'm nearly through my contract anyway so no big deal.

Anyone have any recommendations on what to get next? Or should I just get something cheap to tide me over until Android or Neo arrives?

My wants are as follows:

The basics. Phone calls, text messages.
MP3 support. It would hopefully replace my ipod.
Ubuntu support. Playing nice with Ubuntu is a must.

All ideas appreciated.

madjr
May 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Motorola rockr , ming , etc.

there are nice Motorola tools in linux + they use linux as their mobile OS.

Lord DarkPat
May 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM
you can get those slider nokia xpressmusics. They come for $60 unlocked nowadays

madjr
May 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
you can get those slider nokia xpressmusics. They come for $60 unlocked nowadays

where could i get 1 of those online?

what model u recommend?

John T. Monkey
May 10th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I have a Sony Ericson K800i, and it is by far the best phone I have ever had. Also, there are most likely newer ones out now, but this one seems to meet all the requirements you set out.

Basics are all there

It does play mp3's. I have 2 1gb memory cards for it, so it doesn't hold as much as my 40gb Creative Zen, but its enough for most things

It could not possibly play any nicer with Linux: you plug the usb cable in to the computer, the phone does things and then a menu flashes up giving the option to transfer files, printer use mobile internet. Once you've chosen the transfer files option on the phone, the computer mounts 2 usb storage devices, 1 is the phone and the other is the memory card. Then a case of copying your files and unmounting. No additional software, drivers or tinkering needed.

It also came with the usb cable and hands free... my previous phones were nokias and they didn't have the usb cable, so I was impressed with this.

Also the caera s the same quality as my digital camera, it plays nicer with Linu than my camera, and it has more memory: my digital camera has been gathering dust since I got this phone. Perfect replacement.

*Whew, that was quite a rant...