PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade failed! Help!

mppreece
May 9th, 2008, 06:37 PM
First post, but I need help! I have just upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04 using the internal upgrade manager.

Sadly, it didn't go as well as hoped, and now after entering my password I receive a beige-brown blank screen.

I'm having to use Xp and IE for the first time in months, so a swift response would be gratefully received!

dstew
May 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Boot in recovery mode, and do the xfix command to reconfigure your display. That should help you get a useable desktop.

Rodney2
May 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I have the same problem, after the update I just get a solid brown screen with the cursor (I can move the cursur okay but nothing else). Also, if I hit "PrtScrn" it does ask if I want to print the screen. If I hit cancel that dissappears from the screen. What can I do to get back to the operating screen?

dstew
May 15th, 2008, 04:40 PM
See above. Use xfix.

Rodney2
July 19th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I just gave up and did not do anything for a few weeks. However, I decided to give 8.04 one more chance so started the install all over again from scratch. Set the computer to boot off the CD drive, inserted the 8.04 disk and everything now installed fine. It took just a half hour for the installation to be completed but then it took about another hour to install the 256 updates that were available. So far, I'm very pleased with the results and everything I've tried so far (have not tried the E-mail functions yet) has worked fine including the installation of an old HP722C printer. I can not explain why my first two attempts to install Hardy Heron failed but sure am glad I tried for that third time. Thanks for the many suggestions that I received in the meantime. Rodney

gb5uqx
July 21st, 2008, 06:39 PM
First post, but I need help! I have just upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04 using the internal upgrade manager.

Sadly, it didn't go as well as hoped, and now after entering my password I receive a beige-brown blank screen.

I'm having to use Xp and IE for the first time in months, so a swift response would be gratefully received!

Your lucky.

I upgraded after much thought and turns out I should have listened to my own doubts. My system is completely borked. This has not been a pleasant or encouraging Linux experience. I don't go in for distro bashing but Ubuntu has been by far the worst, most buggy, unreliable, unpredictable, unstable and unfriendly one I have ever tried.

Really really sad day today were it not for the end of months of frustration....