PDA

View Full Version : Spacial or Browser??

Qrk
October 19th, 2005, 05:00 AM
I was wondering if spacial nautilus or the browser mode were more popular.

PatrickMay16
October 19th, 2005, 05:14 AM
For me, it's the browser mode. Since I just came in from Windows 2000, I'm very much used to the Windows Explorer, so this is the most familiar to me.
Plus, I hate the way the windows seem to jump around on the screen if you use spatial mode.

Goober
October 19th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Browser. I find it the most convenient.

websavages
October 19th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Too many windows with spatial. One window for web browsing, one window for file browsing, etc

Cheers ws

poptones
October 19th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Both?

It's a non-issue.

bored2k
October 19th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Browser.

GeneralZod
October 19th, 2005, 08:17 AM
[Konqueror user here :)]

Browser - I have things organised into some deeply-nested folders (which would equate to tons of windows on screen), and I find that the combination of tree-view panel and split-screen mode is more than adequate for moving things around.

Edit:

The poll results are actually pretty surprising, there. Wow.

poofyhairguy
October 19th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Spacial used to be the first thing I turned off when I installed Ubuntu. I do not like at all.

bored2k
October 19th, 2005, 08:32 AM
It's been Gnome's Achilles heel since 2.6 :-s.

Jonne
October 19th, 2005, 08:39 AM
I'm not sure. I just upgraded to breezy, and I really like the mixed tree view/list view thing it has going on. I have no clue whether it's called spatial or browser mode, but it rules. It's way better than the windows that jumped around all the time in Hoary.

BTW: is there a way to activate some sort of address bar in there? It seems like there's no easy way to copy the current location or enter a new one in Nautilus...

manicka
October 19th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Spatial was the first thing I researched to get rid of when I installed Ubuntu in hoary. I dislike it.

doclivingston
October 19th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Spatial for me - most of the time when I'm opening a directory I want the old one too.

asimon
October 19th, 2005, 10:25 AM
If this poll is representative -- which it is probably not -- than Ubuntu has a wrong default.

manicka
October 19th, 2005, 10:41 AM
If this poll is representative -- which it is probably not -- than Ubuntu has a wrong default.
Browser is the default in breezy

asimon
October 19th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Browser is the default in breezy
Oops, when I use Gnome next time I should remember to try out the default settings. ;-)

Lord Illidan
October 19th, 2005, 11:21 AM
You spell it spatial... And no, I hate it..
Browser mode is excellent, you get tree view, more info in a side pane, etc.. And honestly, when you have tabs, who needs spatial mode? It's like opening every link in firefox in a new window!!!

drummer
October 19th, 2005, 11:34 AM
You spell it spatial... And no, I hate it..
Browser mode is excellent, you get tree view, more info in a side pane, etc.. And honestly, when you have tabs, who needs spatial mode? It's like opening every link in firefox in a new window!!!
Tabs?? where are the tabs in nautilus?
I use browser, but without the panel on the left (tree view/info/etc.), spatial gets me confused when different folders open at different places on the screen. I also came from Win2k and other Windows'... maybe that has something to do with it.

manicka
October 19th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Tabs?? where are the tabs in nautilus?

Where the location bar used to be

Lovechild
October 19th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Since the malformed uri bug was finally fixed, Browser mode with treeview - but spatial is excellent as well.

Lord Illidan
October 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Sorry about the tabs, musta confused it with Konqueror...
But I use Nautilus in browser mode.

Er, so we can use tabs in Nautilus?

drummer
October 19th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Where the location bar used to be
Is that in Breezy? I haven't upgraded yet, still have my Location bar... one more reason to upgrade soon :P

manicka
October 19th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Is that in Breezy? P
that's right

gray-squirrel
October 19th, 2005, 05:41 PM
I first tried spatial mode when I started working in Gnome, but I only have a 15" screen, so valuable real estate is quickly taken up with these windows (and I don't remember there being a taskbar like in KDE or Windows when I was using Gnome). I quickly switched it off.

I don't miss it either - on the rare instance that I need to copy or move files between folders and like to have peace of mind, I just open up another "file manager" window. . . or now that I have KDE, detach a tab and make it a separate window. Then the extra window gets closed afterwards.

qalimas
October 19th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Browser.

Two things I dislike about Nautilus though, the new one doesn't have an address bar (that I can tell), and it doesnt have tabs like Konq does. I use it anyway because it's the overall best ^^

Stormy Eyes
October 19th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I was wondering if spacial nautilus or the browser mode were more popular.

Browser. If I wanted 69 of the same kind of window cluttering my screen, they'd be terminals.

poofyhairguy
October 19th, 2005, 06:11 PM
You spell it spatial...

Its hard to use, its hard to spell.

Spatial is the best metaphor that not many people get.

Qrk
October 19th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Sorry. I remember reading a thread where it was spacial, then another one where it was spatial... I couldn't remember which one was wrong.

I use browser mode, but I took out all of the clutter. I don't use the side panel or the location bar, and I made the main toolbar smaller than default.

Lovechild
October 19th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I'm a big spatial proponent, in that I think every window should remember it's state (just look at Rhythmbox returning from tray or minimized.. not the same state. But for the filebrowser, unless you don't have deeply nested structures it tends to clutter up a bit. Right now with the locator buttons and the tree sideview, the browser view is the best possible mix I think.

Wolki
October 19th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Spatial. It's the reason I started to use gnome (beside the great panel) and it's what keeps me there. Windows remember things. Windows don't open twice, so i don't end up having 7 browser windows open showing the same folder. It rewards organizing your stuff. No need to micromanage a stupid tree view. Keeps it simple. I love it.