PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 8.04 using image mounter

RyuHendrabusa
May 9th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Hello all!

This is my first post here and I was wondering if it is possible to install Ubuntu using WUBI (install alongside WinXP) through an image mounter like Power ISO or Alcohol 120%.

I tried this a few times but after I rebooted my machine and logged on to Ubuntu from the OS selection screen, a progress bar tells me it is installing the system and at halfway, it fails.

Few weeks ago, I dropped my laptop and the CD drive is not working properly, so I can't use the LiveCD to install Ubuntu.

Thanks for your help!:)

MusicMastaMike
May 9th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Apparently you should be able to install by mounting the .iso. Check this out:
http://www.thetechjuice.com/2008/03/install-ubuntu-hardy-heron-with-wubi.html

RyuHendrabusa
May 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for confirming!

The thing is, although it tells me that the installation has failed, Ubuntu loads up after the error message and I can use it. However, the top panel tells me I am running as a Live session user and I don't know what this means. Does it mean that the system thinks I am running from LiveCD?

Here's a screenshot of the installation error that I've got.

http://images.ryuhendrabusa.multiply.com/image/2/photos/51/500x500/1/DSC00269.JPG?et=pMaR937v6Sc5S%2CnBdplu4w&nmid=95246430

MusicMastaMike
May 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Yes, that means it's running as a LiveCD. When you boot up Ubuntu, is there an "Install" icon on the Desktop? If so, I would try that. I haven't used wubi personally, but I'm guessing that maybe it installs some essential files to the hard drive, or copies over the iso in order to let you install from the hard drive.

RyuHendrabusa
May 9th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah, there is the install icon there. I'll give that a shot!

MusicMastaMike
May 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Awesome, let me know how it goes!

RyuHendrabusa
May 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
After the installation failed, I ran as Live session user from the ISO file. I tried running the install icon as suggested above but it wouldn't let me install because there are already files in C:/ubuntu/disks/boot

I tried this over 5 times, I think. (LOL)
It just won't install successfully.

Help! :)

MusicMastaMike
May 10th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I would try one of the methods listed on this page if I were you:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#head-ca8e337bdfab6bfa1d064371898775fe1e9e22fd

Best of luck!

RyuHendrabusa
May 11th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks!:)

Hmm, I tried using Unetbootin. Everything seems smooth until I reached the partitioning part. I selected the first option which allows me to keep my WinXP and installs Ubuntu on the other partition.

The partitioning process failed, it tells me that the hard drive hasn't been modified and when I boot into WinXP, my C: drive icon is missing, replaced by the standard 'unknown file' icon. Thankfully, my C: drive is still accessible from 'My Computer'.

Anyone has any suggestions? I really want Ubuntu on my laptop~
The installation through Wubi was very successful on my desktop computer though.

RyuHendrabusa
May 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I finally got Heron installed on my laptop!
The previous times failed because the ISO was faulty and I didn't do MD5SUM on them. :lolflag: (Mark of a noobie)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help ,MusicMastaMike!

Cheers~:)

producer
May 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I'm trying to find the md5 checksum on this .iso, but I can't find it on the site. Where did they put it please?

zvacet
May 16th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Here (http://hr.releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/MD5SUMS)

producer
May 17th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Thanks. Much appreciated, Where are they kept, (so I don't have to bother you next update).

zvacet
May 17th, 2008, 01:29 AM
When you choose where you want to download from you will see MDSUMS.Basicly you can find them on every download page(mirror).

producer
May 17th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Ah. I saw it there but didn't write it down. It was a few days before I was ready to burn the disc. Then I didn't go back to the download page because I didn't want to start another download and I thought it would. Anyway they do match and the disc is burned. All is well in this project. Thanks again.