PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thanks Ubuntu

Superevil
May 9th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Yesterday I was moving all my pictures from my /pictures folder onto my external hard drive pictures folder and it just so happened I had a jpg file (which ubuntu didn't have the .jpg extension attached) with the exact same name as a directory in the main pictures folder on the external HD and as I was moving the files I was typing something and the skip/replace dialog popped up for a split second so now I've lost that entire folder with irreplaceable pictures because I guess Ubuntu can't tell the difference between a file without an extension and a directory of the same name. Oh and having the REPLACE button selected by default? Stupid idea. I've had no other complaints with Ubuntu other than now.

tdrusk
May 9th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Yesterday I was moving all my pictures from my /pictures folder onto my external hard drive pictures folder and it just so happened I had a jpg file (which ubuntu didn't have the .jpg extension attached) with the exact same name as a directory in the main pictures folder on the external HD and as I was moving the files I was typing something and the skip/replace dialog popped up for a split second so now I've lost that entire folder with irreplaceable pictures because I guess Ubuntu can't tell the difference between a file without an extension and a directory of the same name. Oh and having the REPLACE button selected by default? Stupid idea. I've had no other complaints with Ubuntu other than now.

You are complaining about a mistake you made.

I think mac and windows both make replace the default.

Zorael
May 9th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Wow, damn. I'd demand a refund if I were you.

tacutu
May 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM
no, he has a good point. If you're typing and just pressing "enter" when the dialog pops up, the keyboard event (i.e. the "enter" key) will be received -- accidentaly -- by the dialog window.

I feel for you, Superevil, what happened is really nasty.

Zorael
May 9th, 2008, 06:14 PM
And this is not the standard for other operating systems, as well? Keystrokes will traditionally be sent to whichever window has focus, and in the case of popups, them getting focus and being on top of everything is sort of their point.

I'm sorry for the loss of your data, but "Thanks Ubuntu" is projecting.

tacutu
May 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM
if feature X is the default for OSX or Win, it doesn't mean that it is inherently a good feature. Linux doesn't necessarily have to be like the rest. It can be better, you know!

personally, i prefer the dialog windows not to capture focus and jump on top of all other windows but rather notify me in the taskbar area (some programs do this, some don't)

Zorael
May 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM
if feature X is the default for OSX or Win, it doesn't mean that it is inherently a good feature. Linux doesn't necessarily have to be like the rest. It can be better, you know!
This is, of course, true. Ideas can be posted on http://launchpad.net/ubuntu, as suggestions.

tacutu
May 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
perhaps this could be taken to gnome developers, as it is a larger UI design issue.

Re: your sig, can I get a kookie?

Superevil
May 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM
You are complaining about a mistake you made.

I think mac and windows both make replace the default.

I didn't blame the loss of my data on the OS smart guy. My main complaint is when you're gonna have a Skip/Replace dialog maybe its a better idea to have SKIP selected by default instead on REPLACE.

kellemes
May 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I didn't blame the loss of my data on the OS smart guy. My main complaint is when you're gonna have a Skip/Replace dialog maybe its a better idea to have SKIP selected by default instead on REPLACE.

Good point indeed, I agree totally.
Still.. the title is rather suggestive I guess..

tszanon
May 9th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Create backup copies often, and hope you never need them.

prshah
May 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I've lost that entire folder with irreplaceable pictures because I guess Ubuntu can't tell the difference between a file without an extension and a directory of the same name.

Getting back to the topic at hand; if indeed the directory has been replaced, then the files exist, just the entry point is lost. Reboot into recovery mode, run fsck, then check under the /lost+found directory.. are your irreplaceable pictures there?

EDIT: I just tried to reproduce what OP did, and I have to agree with him; this behavior is not correct. He _should_ file a bug report. Though the wording of the dialog is very clear, in this case, replace should _not_ be the default choice. On my next reboot, I will try an fsck to see if the files can be recovered.

Therion
May 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM
A little too late for a Ctrl+Z at this point, I'm guessing...

gottabeandrew
May 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
It happens to me in ubuntu and windows. I hate it. I'm typing something on msn, i press the space bar or enter key and just as i press it, something pops up and is gone before i can see what it was.