PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Finding required drivers supporting Ubuntu?

Zyndrof
May 9th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi!

I am planning on installing Ubuntu on both my own computer and my friend's. I have little experience in installing Windows but have never before installed Linux. I don't believe it will be a problem, but what seems to be a problem is locating drivers.

First, I use to have a hard time finding the correct drivers, I did find drivers after some search though on the manufacturer's (of the computer, not the parts themselves) website. The problem seems to be that it does only support Windows 98, XP Home and XP Pro.

How do I find drivers supported by Ubuntu? And which drivers am I most likely to need?

Thank you in advance!
Zyndrof

Pumalite
May 9th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Ubuntu comes with all the drivers that it needs for an installation. If you require some esoteric driver for some rare hardware; that's a different matter.

kellemes
May 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Hi!

I am planning on installing Ubuntu on both my own computer and my friend's. I have little experience in installing Windows but have never before installed Linux. I don't believe it will be a problem, but what seems to be a problem is locating drivers.

First, I use to have a hard time finding the correct drivers, I did find drivers after some search though on the manufacturer's (of the computer, not the parts themselves) website. The problem seems to be that it does only support Windows 98, XP Home and XP Pro.

How do I find drivers supported by Ubuntu? And which drivers am I most likely to need?

Thank you in advance!
Zyndrof

Indeed most drivers are available when booting your brand new GNU/Linux install.
If not.. the Ubuntu documentation/wiki/forums do offer a lot of info on getting your devices running.