PDA

View Full Version : Which Bittorrent app do you use?

Jonathan2007
October 19th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Ok. Here it is, please state your favorite Linux Bittorrent app.

Personally I am still looking. Azureus is a resource hog and Ktorrent seems to download really slowly for me. I have been trying to get Rufus installed but to no avail.

P.S. If a mod wants to edit this and add a poll that is fine with me and I would actually appreciate it. I just don't know what all options there are and what are the more popular ones.

Thanks.

bored2k
October 19th, 2005, 04:14 AM
1. BitTorrent 4 Official
Great interface, specially for queues.
DHT tracker support (decentralized)

2. BitTornado 0.3.13
Not so good interface.
Lets you select what to download within the torrent file.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/530/b3vo.jpg

A-star
October 19th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Azureus is still my favorite

Lord Illidan
October 19th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I use GNOME Bit-Torrent, it is more than adequate for my needs!

Lovechild
October 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM
BitTorrent 4 Official GUI since the epiphany downloader doesn't support bittorrent downloads yet.

Jonathan2007
October 19th, 2005, 01:28 PM
BT Official 4 GUI looks really really nice. Is there a deb available or will I have to compile it by source?

And has anyone tried ABC? I would but the Linux version stoped at 2.4.3 I believe and the Windows is at like 3.0.

cbudden
October 19th, 2005, 01:50 PM
http://www.bittorrent.com/ Link page

Orunitia
October 19th, 2005, 02:06 PM
The one that comes with Ubuntu. It's all I really need, since I rarely download torrents, and it's not a hog like azureus.

pinoyskull
October 19th, 2005, 02:42 PM
i use Azureus with Safepeer plugin, although its a resource hog, im fine with it as long as im protected :)

crypto178
October 19th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I'm using Rufus, it's really great, see the backports forum for more info and a .deb.

BWF89
October 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I use BitTornado.

I like how each client has it's own window that I can minimize into the taskbar buttons.

poptones
October 19th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I just use the one included with hoary, but I don't use the GUI. I don't know how that gui is written, but eats a ridiculous amount of resources. When I have two files going with the GUI about 70% of my CPU is tied up just in thos elittle windows. When I have two running via the cli bittorent.downloadmany or whatever it's called, it hardly registers in top or the desktop meter.

I have the torrents going to a common folder and just drag the trackers in an out of the folder to pause or restart. The daemon is constantly running from the minute I log in, soon as a tracker shows up in the "downloads" folder it starts looking.

stimpack
October 19th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Azereus, horrible resource hog, but very seed friendly, like the complete history so you can go back and reseed struggling torrents.

silentbob
October 19th, 2005, 05:08 PM
mldonkey does the business for me, although I mainly use it for the eDonkey network when I need to get a torrent it works nicely (got my Ubuntu via torrent).

sudo apt-get install mldonkey-server

bored2k
October 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM
BT Official 4 GUI looks really really nice. Is there a deb available or will I have to compile it by source?

And has anyone tried ABC? I would but the Linux version stoped at 2.4.3 I believe and the Windows is at like 3.0.
You just download .tar.gz, install wxgtk and let it rip.

bored2k
October 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM
BitTorrent 4 Official GUI since the epiphany downloader doesn't support bittorrent downloads yet.
I wouldn't want my browser to be my BT client AT ALL. Most likely never.

bored2k
October 19th, 2005, 05:23 PM

If you like ABC you might want to try Rufus. It's WAY more updated than ABC for linux.

bored2k
October 19th, 2005, 05:24 PM
i use Azureus with Safepeer plugin, although its a resource hog, im fine with it as long as im protected :)
Protected from whom? That stuff is pretty much useless IMO. Did I hear ram hog?

asimon
October 19th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Most of the time I use the official btdownloadcurses from the command line. I need no fancy dancing progress bars or gaudy peer network graphs. I just start it and forget about it. It does all I want it do to.

poofyhairguy
October 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM
bit tornado

poptones
October 19th, 2005, 06:48 PM
I just start it and forget about it. It does all I want it do to.

Exactly. Waiting for a 350MB video to arrive via dialup takes days for me. last thing I want is a gui stuck on my desktop all that time to remind me how slow my connection is :)

angkor
October 19th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Azureus is a resource hog

Azureus. I've got plenty of resources. ;)

skoal
October 19th, 2005, 08:14 PM
btdownloadcurses. Elegance through it's purity. Anything else like a GUI is just spackling on more makeup...

\\//_

majikstreet
October 19th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I'm still really deciding what I want to use-- I got azureus not to be such a resource hog (You need to download the CVS version!), but it still is slow-ish but not as slow.

gnome-btdownload isn't bad though....

Jonathan2007
October 19th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't want my browser to be my BT client AT ALL. Most likely never.
I most definitely agree. It is just like anything else. Most programs/things do one thing well. It reminds me of guitar pedals (since I play guitar). You can get multi effect pedals but they usually don't do distortion or a wah as good as a pedal specifically designed to do distortion or wah.

If you like ABC you might want to try Rufus. It's WAY more updated than ABC for linux.
I never used ABC when I was on Windows (I used Bittornado at first and then later BitComet) but the GUI looked nice (imo) from the screenshots.

The problem I have is that I cannot get Rufus installed. I have not tried compiling it from source because strikeforce had made a .deb and I tried the Hoary one when I was on Hoary and it didn't work. I have been trying the Breezy one for quite some time and it doesn't work either. I have posted back and forth quite a bit with Strikeforce and even posted to the official Rufus forums but haven't gotten a response from over there.

I think I am going to try installing BT 4 Official GUI and see how I like it.

graabein
October 19th, 2005, 10:52 PM
http://www.bittorrent.com/ Link page

I can only find i686 deb... I'm a bit of a newbie. Can I run that on i386 kernel? I have a pentium 4.

bored2k
October 20th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Use the .tar.gz. And in that case, yes you can.

Jonathan2007
October 20th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Well I installed the latest beta version of the official BT 4 client and i can't seem to find it on my Kmenu (using Kubuntu). I used the deb for python 2.4. Most other software comes up on my list. Maybe I just need to reboot or if someone could tell me a command to try running I would appreciate it.

bored2k
October 20th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Download and extract the .tar.gz. Using Kmenu, create a menu entry pointing to bittorrent.py. The other method is to type python bittorrent.py from a terminal. Since those debian packages were NOT made for Ubuntu, you have no proof that they will add menu entries or heck.. even work at all!

** I prefer the .tar.gz because It allowes me to use newer python versions (I hate installing old libraries with a real necessity). Also, since I like to have the LATEST client, they don't update the .deb files as often (And even if they do, I'm just used to using the non deb/rpm package).

xmastree
October 20th, 2005, 05:13 AM
I use GNOME Bit-Torrent, it is more than adequate for my needs!That's what I've been using. It does the job, but your screen gets rather messy if you have a few running. Especially if the torrent file has a long name.
I'm looking for something nicer.

Sykil
October 20th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Azureus. I've got plenty of resources. ;)
Same. :) Nothing beats it.

bored2k
October 20th, 2005, 05:18 AM
That's what I've been using. It does the job, but your screen gets rather messy if you have a few running. Especially if the torrent file has a long name.
I'm looking for something nicer.
BitTorrent official. It's queue window is gorgeous.
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9744/screenshotbittorrentstopped6qd.th.png (http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotbittorrentstopped6qd.png)

Sykil
October 20th, 2005, 05:24 AM
It's nicer than I remember; though, I still like the control over my torrents that Azureus gives me. :)

benplaut
October 20th, 2005, 05:33 AM
i'm still looking for a good one.. i b0rked azureus (and it's really slow), and bittornado is confusing me :confused:

the official client looks awesome... trying it right now :)

xmastree
October 20th, 2005, 05:38 AM
BitTorrent official. It's queue window is gorgeous.
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9744/screenshotbittorrentstopped6qd.th.png (http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotbittorrentstopped6qd.png)

Ok, Ok, How TF do I get this?

I went to bittorrent.com (""http://www.bittorrent.com/index.html) and downloaded
http://www.bittorrent.com/dl/bittorrent-4.0.4.linux_i686-2_all.deb
Installed it with dpkg-i but I couldn't fathom out how to actually run it. So... I looked at it with Synaptic to see where its files were. I found btdownloadgui so I tried
btdownloadgui <filename.torrent>but the ugly version already on my system opened up.
:confused:
So, what's the trick?

bored2k
October 20th, 2005, 05:53 AM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=427989&postcount=29
( Instead of kmenu, it would be smeg for us Gnome users)
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bittorrent/BitTorrent-4.1.6.tar.gz?download

If you extract it and it doesn't load, make sure you have python and stuff installed (running it via terminal will tell you what would be needed).

bored2k
October 20th, 2005, 05:54 AM
By the way, the right command now is NO longer btdownloadgui, its bittorrent.py ;)

fredricsolstad
October 20th, 2005, 06:22 AM
I'm using Azureus.. Used the Gnome one for a bit but got bored with all the "Time out" windows..

xmastree
October 20th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Used the Gnome one for a bit but got bored with all the "Time out" windows..Go to the Events tab and remove the check from Display Error Dialogs.

darkoptix
October 20th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Alright, for linux, I have not used anything else besides the gnome bittorrent, ubuntu comes with. Now, for windows, this is the best http://www.utorrent.com/
and I wish it was for linux.

bored2k
October 20th, 2005, 06:59 AM
You could probably get that running under Wine/Xover. 4MB.. interesting.

bored2k
October 20th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Correction: I got it working with Cedega (Even with that!):
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6493/screenshot0al.th.png (http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0al.png)
Even the tray icon works.

I'll give this one a shot on Windows. I'm not interesting in emulating anything, specially when the native clients work.

wellery
October 20th, 2005, 07:05 AM
I use the command line and use btdownloadheadless. I am looking for one with a GUI but I haven't found a good one on linux that doesn't hog resources and does what I need it to do.

bored2k
October 20th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Ok this is the last time I say this, BitTorrent official. Scroll a page back here.

xmastree
October 20th, 2005, 07:12 AM
By the way, the right command now is NO longer btdownloadgui, its bittorrent.py ;)Ok, got it now. Thanks.
The thing I don't like about gnome bt is that you can't have it resume automatically on login. If you logout and save the session, it still asks you for the torrent file when you log in.

pinoyskull
October 20th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Protected from whom? That stuff is pretty much useless IMO. Did I hear ram hog?
protected from anti-p2p, and i dont mind if its resource/ram hog, i only use it when im not working :)

bored2k
October 20th, 2005, 07:38 AM
protected from anti-p2p, and i dont mind if its resource/ram hog, i only use it when im not working :)
To each its own eh Gaara of the Sand? ;).

bored2k
October 20th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Ok, got it now. Thanks.
The thing I don't like about gnome bt is that you can't have it resume automatically on login. If you logout and save the session, it still asks you for the torrent file when you log in.
I do not like gnome-bt at all. It does not even make me feel comfortable (I do a LOT of BitTorrent.. I need to feel sure of what I'm doing).

xmastree
October 21st, 2005, 10:03 AM
So, I got BT running, but I seemed to be having problems with my connection. Also, the 4.3GB I've been downloading with gnomeBT could no longer connect, and I've only got 200MB left to get.

Vey frustrating, I kept having to reset the wi fi modem thing (whatever it's called) then deactivate and reactivate the network again. I was sure the thing was developing a problem.

Then, for a while I had to use Windows. I ended up spending a while in there (google earth...) and the net was fine. That got me thinking...

Since I booted back into linux, but didn't start bittorrent, it's been fine. And my 4.3GB has also resumed. :)

So basically, it appears that Bittorent was screwing my connection. :(

bete
October 21st, 2005, 01:22 PM
Just wondering, i am a long time windows user, and when i download something they often come in .rar packs (like 700megabytes divivided into alot of 15Megabyte rar files).

How do you unzip all of these in ubuntu?

Jonathan2007
October 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM
Get an gui archiving tool like Ark (for KDE). You will also need unzip I believe and maybe some other packages. Just search for zip or unzip in Synaptic and you should be able to find what you need.

xmastree
October 21st, 2005, 01:57 PM
they often come in .rar packs Open up synaptic and search for unrar, then install the nonfree version. I've found it works better than the other version.
Just run it from a terminal:
unrar e filename.rar

DimaIL
October 21st, 2005, 03:04 PM
Azureus !

Dima

-Rick-
October 21st, 2005, 03:25 PM
btdownloadcurses
So I can easily resume downloads on different *NIX'es.

jeffreyvergara.NET
October 21st, 2005, 03:48 PM
Bittorrent here.. (ubuntu's default torrent client) I only download anime release once a week, and I don't have a fast internet connection to have multiple torrents running.

bored2k
October 21st, 2005, 05:49 PM
That is not BitTorrent. That is gnome-bt.

xequence
October 21st, 2005, 10:27 PM
Azureus. Even though its java, it is still the best.

Lovechild
October 21st, 2005, 10:32 PM
Just wondering, i am a long time windows user, and when i download something they often come in .rar packs (like 700megabytes divivided into alot of 15Megabyte rar files).

How do you unzip all of these in ubuntu?

That's a strange way of distributing Linux distros... Because I assume you're not in the progress of violating copyrights or anything like that :)

rarsoft.com has the lastest rar program for Linux, it's payware and closed - there's also an older package in multiverse, likewise there's a free unrar tool but that one doesn't handle all rar archives.

bored2k
October 21st, 2005, 10:38 PM
<mod>Let's try to keep this thread on topic please ;).</mod>

dezier
November 25th, 2005, 05:05 PM
I have a question about choosing bittorrent client. I would like my client to resume automatically when I open it (and be able to handle multiple torrents). I have tried Azureus, but i don't like it with many of the reasons already mention in the thread (a hog, takes a lot of resources, buggy). I often have many torrents going, but sometimes I stop some of them, and let others go first, just to start them later (as in days). You can say I would like to have the ability to freely manage my torrents. Would Bittorrent Official do the trick? Or what are the alternatives?

jdong
November 25th, 2005, 07:17 PM
2. BitTornado 0.3.13

Huh? Really?

migo
November 26th, 2005, 01:10 AM
None, It'd be nice if someone ported µTorrent.

sapo
November 26th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Azureus 2.2 4eva! :D

ubuntu27
November 26th, 2005, 04:58 AM
I use Gnome Bitttorent. It dosn't satisfy me, but at least works the way I need.

By the way, does the OFFICIAL Bittorrent, does multipple downloading at the same time? or if there are more than two torrents running it changes to "queque?

müller
January 31st, 2006, 12:35 AM
official bittorent does multiple downloading.
Right press on the queed torrent and select download now.

xequence
January 31st, 2006, 12:58 AM
Linux is lacking in the bittorent client area...

Why? No uTorrent!

Id die if I couldent click the little green button in my system tray every minute to check my download and upload speed.

Though you might get uTorrent working in wine...

buildid
February 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM
mldonkey 2.7.3 cvs

Stormy Eyes
February 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I use btdownloadcurses inside GNU screen, so I can let the torrent download and seed in the background even if I've logged out.

imagine
February 13th, 2006, 08:21 PM
MLDonkey all the way.
But not the version from the Ubuntu repositories, because I think the Debian maintainter of the package doesn't really know what he's doing : )

Mathias-K
February 13th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Azureus is beautiful and working just fine for me, except that "too many files" error :S :)

rado_london
February 14th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I use Azureus becaus eit gives me incredible options. Its version is 2.4.0.0

Cesium
February 14th, 2006, 01:23 AM
I use Azureus. It's nice so far. I used to use ABC in Windows and I prefer the "lightfulness" of that...but Azureus has some better features.

nedkelly
February 17th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I think the one thing that linux is missing the most is a feature rich torrent client with low memory use.

Because of this I have used alot of different clients, Azureus, rufus, freeloader and gnome-bitttorrent. I can not say which one is best since I think that one is just as good (bad) as the next one

But there might be a little light at the end of the tunnel, there is macOS X client/*nix client called Transmission (http://transmission.m0k.org/), it is not so developed yet, but there seems to be a seriuse development going on, so I can only urge people to go to there forum and request the features the need in a torrent client.

I also think that Ktorrent (http://ktorrent.org/) is going to be a good client, when they get DHT implementated

Deaf_Head
February 17th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I use Azureus. It's nice so far. I used to use ABC in Windows and I prefer the "lightfulness" of that...but Azureus has some better features.

Yeah I agree, and Shadow of the Colossus is awesome.

Alpha_toxic
February 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I'd say at the moment Linux lacks an eficient samll but fullfeatured BT client. I hear µTorrent's developer Ludde is working on porting it for Linux, but this won't happen very soon. Also Opera 9 might have built-in support for torrents, so we'll just have to wait and see...

CospeFogo
February 17th, 2006, 01:30 PM
btdownloadcurses.py