PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Something so simple, yet so frustrating, please help.

pwharity
May 9th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Hello. Downloaded new Audacious Skins to my desktop. Extracted them to a NEW FOLDER I created. Unable to drag that folder to usr/share/audacious/skins as I get, Error moving file: Permission denied. When I try to grant permission to the folder "Skins" I get,"net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Permission denied You do not have permission to create a usershare. Ask your administrator to grant you permissions to create a share."

First Question: What changed since 7.10 and why do I need this SAMBA thingie if I am moving from one folder to another on my own computer, not sharing to another user or computer over network? Someone please explain this to me. I have perused the forum and there is mention of a BUG?

tamoneya
May 9th, 2008, 07:54 AM
you need to have root permissions to do this. Hit Alt-F@ and type
gksudo nautilusThis will launch the file browser and you should do all the file copying within that.

lgastmans
May 9th, 2008, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE=pwharity;4916525]Hello. Downloaded new Audacious Skins to my desktop. Extracted them to a NEW FOLDER I created. Unable to drag that folder to usr/share/audacious/skins as I get, Error moving file: Permission denied. When I try to grant permission to the folder "Skins" I get,"net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Permission denied You do not have permission to create a usershare. Ask your administrator to grant you permissions to create a share."

Try the following, something I do once in a while when I get the same permission denied:
Open up a terminal
type cd /usr/share/audacious/
type sudo chmod -R 777 skins (this will set all permissions for the folder skins)
then try to drag the folder and see.

hyper_ch
May 9th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Try the following, something I do once in a while when I get the same permission denied:
Open up a terminal
type cd /usr/share/audacious/
type sudo chmod -R 777 skins (this will set all permissions for the folder skins)
then try to drag the folder and see.

DO NOT DO THAT! It is very bad advice circumventing the security precautions on the system by just randomly chmod anything to 0777!

malathion
May 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
DO NOT DO THAT! It is very bad advice circumventing the security precautions on the system by just randomly chmod anything to 0777!

I agree. Please follow tamoneya's advice.

lgastmans
May 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
ok guys, i agree, but on your own machine?
he could always learn up the different options for chmod and give himself the rights
right? or wrong?

Wim Sturkenboom
May 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM
ok guys, i agree, but on your own machine?

You teach yourself bad habits. One day you are appointed as e.g. a sysadmin in a *nix environment and you do the same.

hyper_ch
May 9th, 2008, 11:09 AM
even on your own machine it's bad.

lgastmans
May 9th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Ok, will try to kick the bad habit :)

But we are talking only about the fact that I said 777 right? A more discreet approach as in using chmod u+x would be permissible right?

hyper_ch
May 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
giving rwx permission to the world on any system folder is not a good habit...

malathion
May 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Ok, will try to kick the bad habit :)

But we are talking only about the fact that I said 777 right? A more discreet approach as in using chmod u+x would be permissible right?

Really, there is never a reason to change permissions on a system folder. If you want to interact with it, use sudo. :)

lgastmans
May 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys, lesson learnt.

But one last question, though: the person who originally posted this thread, in case it is someone who has no knowledge of using a terminal, how does he copy his files to that "skins" system folder? I mean, apart from using "sudo nautilus" or "sudo krusader" or "sudo cp...".

Just wondering

malathion
May 11th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks guys, lesson learnt.

But one last question, though: the person who originally posted this thread, in case it is someone who has no knowledge of using a terminal, how does he copy his files to that "skins" system folder? I mean, apart from using "sudo nautilus" or "sudo krusader" or "sudo cp...".

Just wondering

Well, if you eliminate all the ways of doing it, then he doesn't. Keep in mind that your proposed solution requires familiarity with the terminal as well.

ikt
May 12th, 2008, 12:03 AM
you need to have root permissions to do this. Hit Alt-F@ and type
gksudo nautilusThis will launch the file browser and you should do all the file copying within that.

and why again does a person need to launch a file manager from terminal to install a media player skin?

as opposed to winamp where you double click on a skin and it installs automatically..

somethings not right..

Drakkor
May 12th, 2008, 12:21 AM
gksudo nautilus is for Kubuntu

sudo nautilus is for Ubuntu

inportb
May 12th, 2008, 12:25 AM
gksudo nautilus is for Kubuntu

sudo nautilus is for Ubuntu

To the contrary. gksudo is for Ubuntu/GNOME. kdesu is for Kubuntu/KDE. and sudo is for terminal.

Drakkor
May 12th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Hmmmmmm. I just always use sudo nautilus :)

inportb
May 12th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hmmmmmm. I just always use sudo nautilus :)

And I always use sudo kate. :)

I haven't run into this problem before, but some people have pwned their .ICEauthority files by using sudo on some graphical apps (the file became root-owned, and had to be fixed).

lgastmans
May 12th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Well, if you eliminate all the ways of doing it, then he doesn't. Keep in mind that your proposed solution requires familiarity with the terminal as well.
right you are, malathion

malathion
May 12th, 2008, 08:11 AM
and why again does a person need to launch a file manager from terminal to install a media player skin?

as opposed to winamp where you double click on a skin and it installs automatically..

somethings not right..

In a word, security. Running everything as Administrator on a windows system gets you around lots of these security "hassles." And it also makes it very easy for adware to destroy your system.

Ideally, the application would have a script that would try to install the script as root, thus prompting the user for their password. But that is not something that can be enforced by the system; the author of the software must implement it.