PDA

View Full Version : What is the best pdf reader you are using?

jskasia
May 9th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Hi there,

Do you know if there is any better PDF reader program than Evince, please share your favorite PDF reader or more.

inportb
May 9th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Yep. Okular is just awesome.

offtopic: w00t 100 posts?

jskasia
May 9th, 2008, 06:20 AM
BTW Okular is based on KDE i have to install 170 MB of some extras packages

DoktorSeven
May 9th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I love xpdf. It's wondefully minimal (and might look ugly to some) but it works brilliantly for my purposes.

Trail
May 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM
My favourite is kpdf...

Steveway
May 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I use epdfview. It's as fast as xpdf but it has a nice looking interface.

peterbrewer
May 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm voting for okular, while it may be qt rather that gtk (I use kubuntu so not a problem for me) it has some really nice features.

Really depends what you need it for.

Wobedraggled
May 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Default viewer (Envice), just works. I've also used foxit.

Canis familiaris
May 9th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I use mainly Evince.

regomodo
May 9th, 2008, 01:54 PM
kpdf

HermanAB
May 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
PDF viewers were problematic many years ago, but at present, all seem to be pretty good. So I don't care anymore. I just go cliecketyclick and whatever happens to open the file is good enough.

SuperSon!c
May 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM
foxit.

afeasfaerw23231233
May 9th, 2008, 03:00 PM
i am using kpdf. evince is a big ram-eater. i opened three to four hundred-page pdf document and it occupied all my 768MB RAM. sometimes kpdf doesn't show chinese characters correctly and i have to use xpdf, though it is not user friendly.
see the thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=619422&highlight=pdf

cnbiz850
May 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Maybe off topic, but I tried several pdf viewers and none seems able to reverse colors. When reading something, particularly a long document, I strongly prefer to have a dark background and a lighter foreground. Seems all pdf viewers use white background (which is to shiny for the eyes) and black foreground, and one can not change it. Am I missing something here?

Dr Small
May 9th, 2008, 03:03 PM
epdfview on ArchLinux. I just installed it too; It is super fast :)

angelsguitar
May 9th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I use Evince mainly; works most of the time for me. Also keep a copy of Adobe Reader for Linux (available from the medibuntu repository)to be able to handle pdf's with forms.

scouser73
May 9th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Adobe PDF Reader works for me, I can't comment about the others that have been mentioned.

Trail
May 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Maybe off topic, but I tried several pdf viewers and none seems able to reverse colors. When reading something, particularly a long document, I strongly prefer to have a dark background and a lighter foreground. Seems all pdf viewers use white background (which is to shiny for the eyes) and black foreground, and one can not change it. Am I missing something here?
compiz? :)

SuperSon!c
May 9th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Adobe PDF Reader works for me, I can't comment about the others that have been mentioned.

that's the slowest one of the bunch. i would highly recommend trying another.

funrider
May 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM
i mainly use kpdf for their "hand tool". however, when i need to rotate the document then i would use evince since kpdf just doenst have such function.

inportb
May 9th, 2008, 09:22 PM
For KPDF fans -- Okular is just KPDF for KDE4, with more features. On KDE 3.5.x I use KPDF.

cnbiz850
May 10th, 2008, 10:46 AM
compiz? :)

Are you saying that it might be compiz's problem? I doubt it because I run my desktop with no effects.

Steveway
May 10th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Are you saying that it might be compiz's problem? I doubt it because I run my desktop with no effects.

No, he is referring to the negative-plugin wich lets you make windows or the whole screen negative.

Incense
May 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Another vote for kpdf

AndyCooll
May 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM
My pdf reader needs are basic, and Evince does the job for me, so I've never had any need to look elsewhere.

:cool:

original_jamingrit
May 10th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I just use xpdf, but hearing about epdfview is making me curious...

Foster Grant
May 10th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Switched back to Adobe Reader because Evince doesn't print (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=461144) properly (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=718101).

cnbiz850
May 11th, 2008, 02:05 AM
No, he is referring to the negative-plugin wich lets you make windows or the whole screen negative.

What is it please? A Compiz plugin? I have no clue. How can I get it?

Onyros
May 11th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Another vote for ePDFview. It's as simple as they come, but it's also as fast as they come.

init1
May 11th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I don't use PDFs very often, but xpdf is fine for me.

Steveway
May 11th, 2008, 06:46 PM
What is it please? A Compiz plugin? I have no clue. How can I get it?

Yup, it should be installed allready.
Install the advanced-configuration-manager and then you can enable it and bind it to a key-combo.

logos34
May 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I just noticed something strange about a week ago: since upgrading to Hardy Evince is using a LOT more memory than Adobe reader/acroread! How can that be? I would swear that back in Gutsy it was the other way around, otherwise I would never have switced to evince. For instance, I just opened the very same pdf doc (a 2.6 MB file) in both apps, and gnome system monitor is showing that evince is using 31.1 MB while Adobe is pnly using 17.9!

Ideas anyone?

cnbiz850
May 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Yup, it should be installed allready.
Install the advanced-configuration-manager and then you can enable it and bind it to a key-combo.

Hey! What are you guys talking about? I can't find "advanced-configuration-manager" or anything similar in the repository.

urukrama
May 12th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Is there actually a pdf reader other than Acrobat that allows you to easily create bookmarks in pdf files? So far, I've only seen that option in Kpdf, but that only marked the thumnail of the current page with a paperclip, which isn't very handy. I'd like something more along the lines of Acrobat's bookmark system.

I use epdfview now, which is nice and fast, but a bit basic.

Onyros
May 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM
We really need a PDF Reader / Simple editor, something which will let us bookmark, underline, quote PDF's easily.

I've used Foxit Reader, the WIndows version in WINE to comment a few PDF's which were sent my way, but I'd really like a native app.

On the N800 I use Xournal to do that, but I don't like its desktop version. Plus, all it does is put the PDF as a background and we draw on top, there's no text selection there.

amyst
May 15th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Does okular or any reader you know of support good search functionality? When I am searching for a string of text, I want the reader to display ALL the matching strings in the document, so I can jump through the documents instead of having to go through the matching strings sequentially.

maniacmusician
May 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Hey! What are you guys talking about? I can't find "advanced-configuration-manager" or anything similar in the repository.
The package is called compizconfig-settings-manager. I believe it would show up in your menu at System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings. That's how it is in Gutsy. I haven't installed Hardy yet, but I'd expect it to be the same.

Pipps
January 31st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Epdf beats Evince by a mile.

Evince is slow and buggy, and has many keyboard shortcut problems.

Epdf just does the job without any fuss whatsoever. Something which Evince is not capable of achieving.

Go for Epdf!