PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life (2?) Players, Lets Chat!

kevin11951
May 9th, 2008, 04:49 AM
well, i see all these "lets chat" threads, and right now i am in love with half life 2, episode 1, and episode 2. so... if you play half-life 1 or 2, or any of the episodes lets chat.

ill start:

ravenholm is one of the most jittery chapters of this game!

kevin11951
May 9th, 2008, 07:17 AM
c'mon, nobody here has ever played half-life of half-life 2? i don't believe that!

Mazza558
May 9th, 2008, 08:05 AM
We're all waiting for it to be ported to Linux, which'll be hopefully done by next year.

DoktorSeven
May 9th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I've played through 1 and 2, but I'm not really a big fan. They just seem like fairly standard and very frustrating FPS to me.

thedon_1
May 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I finished HL2 when it came out and got the orange box for my 360 to play the other episodes.

Best FPS ever, can't wait for episode 3.

daverich
May 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM
yup I'm also waiting for ep 3.

Do have a go at team fortress 2 on the orange box if you've got xbox live.

That is a REALLY fun game.

Kind Regards

Dave Rich

OffHand
May 9th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I just started playing it again. I love HL 2. I also bought Garry's Mod but I haven't played it yet. I also have episode one waiting to be played after I finished HL 2. I am running it on Vista though because I do not feel like troubleshooting Wine atm.

schtufbox
May 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I have HL2, but I pretty much just play Counter-Strike source with it these days, even then that's rare. Kind of gone off FPS games

damoxc
May 9th, 2008, 10:34 AM
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=source_linux&num=1

thedon_1
May 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I tried TF2 on Live but it did not run well at all. I assume it's been improved with pacthes, but i've been playing too much GTA to go back!

I loved the original team fortress though, first online game i ever played.

kevin11951
May 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM
ive played half-life 2 and all the episodes twice, this is my third time, it never gets old, especially the ravenholm level! (its in the demo if you wana try it out, which works perfectly in wine, download steam and play it!)

Christmas
May 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I played it through Wine, but just for about 15 minutes. I remember when it first appeared in 2004 (if I recall correctly) I was using Windows and I was stunned by the graphics it had.

thedon_1
May 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM
What do you guys think of Valve deciding on releasing episodes instead of a new Half life?

Like or dislike the approach?

GOROSSI
May 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I played it that many times I have lost count, I upgraded to Vista Home Premium 64bit last year and the 64bit Half life 2 was actually faster than xp home sp2 32bit on the same machine (Pentium d 820, 2gb DDR2, sapphire ATI radeon x1600 pro 512mb) by big margin say 10fps faster.

It wasn't as if the xp install was old either it was clean install as the machine was only 12 months old.

I am planning to buy episodes 1 and 2 when I complete the original again.

Ryandor
May 10th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I've been a fan of the Half-Life series for a long time. I mainly play Half-Life 2 Deathmatch (and have a dedicated server for it; Windows for now, but will upgrade to Ubuntu Server eventually).

I also dabble in map making and have created a few HL1DM and HL2DM maps.

I've played through HL2, EP1, and EP2 several times and am impatiently waiting for EP3.

Interesting to note is that this is one of the reasons I've not converted my main system to Ubuntu yet. I'm in the process of building an all purpose server for my home network. Once that is complete, then I will be testing HL2 on wine on another computer. Or maybe the Linux port of Steam will be done by then.
-Ryandor