PDA

View Full Version : projects in C and contributing to ubuntu

daboo_discovery
May 9th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Hello. I am quite new to ubuntu and the open source world.
Also since I am new to the world of computer science also, as of now I know only one programming language : C .

Are there any projects related to ubuntu or in ubuntu itself that use the C programming language , where I could contribute?

Also can one earn money while contributing to open source projects or as a result of it? I mean that after writing code for an open source project and gaining sufficient experience will one get preference for a job at a company? Amd moreover how will one prove that he\she has contributed to the project?

nebu
May 9th, 2008, 07:04 AM
a major part of ubuntu is written in c....

for example the kernel itself is written in a version of c which is kinda close to gcc.... though u may have to learn a bit of assembly language to get to work on the kernel....

i am not very sure about the money..... ubuntu and most of the software that runs on ubuntu is open source.... so i dont think ull get a lot of money there

pmasiar
May 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Pick a project you are interested in, chances are it is in C. If not, pick another... :-)

Making money is possible when you are very, incredibly good at what you do: ie you can get hired to maintain kernel module.

Another (and much simpler) option is to get paid for services/customization (not for development), if your project has direct user exposure (ie not infrastructure). Example: Some key developers of Satchmo web shop (based on Django/Python) work as contractors to customize Satchmo to customers.

tseliot
May 9th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Are there any projects related to ubuntu or in ubuntu itself that use the C programming language , where I could contribute?
The kernel, (most of) GNOME, Xorg, etc. but of course the only knowledge of C won't be enough in such cases. You will have to read the respective documentation.

Of course, if you become a respected developer you might be hired by Red Hat, Google, Novell, etc.

In other words, yes, it's worth the effort ;)

daboo_discovery
May 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks a lot for the help!:popcorn: