PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How to install Xubuntu??

Senor_Grunt
May 9th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Hey guys, I recently downloaded the new Xubuntu, and I have no idea how to install it. I have the RAR still, and a folder containing the extracted files from the RAR. What files do I need to put on a CD to install on a laptop that has a clean HD?

Also, I tried searching and went through all 10 pages, and came up with nothing. :/

garyedwardjohnston
May 9th, 2008, 02:14 AM
a rar file?

http://www.xubuntu.org/get

Senor_Grunt
May 9th, 2008, 02:29 AM
http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs-Xubuntu/8.04/release/

Thats where I go when I click United States, and I have the Alternate install CD download. Do I have to have the Live CD too?

jediborger
May 9th, 2008, 02:33 AM
No you don't need the live cd but you should have downloaded an .iso file. Try extracting the .rar file you have and see if you get the .iso file. If so just burn the image to disk. If the .rar archive gives you the contents just burn them to a cd, it should still work. If it doesn't make sure you download an .iso file. Hope that helps.

Senor_Grunt
May 9th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Well, I checked everything that I extracted from the RAR, and nothing in it was a .iso. :// a;lshuibksjdf.

NightwishFan
May 9th, 2008, 03:41 AM
No official source would likely pack a .iso into a .rar file. Redownload from a reliable source.

http://www.xubuntu.org/

arashiko28
May 9th, 2008, 03:47 AM
That looks weird, why did you downloaded an alternate CD in the first place? Try downloading the one fit for your computer either 32 or 64 bits. The installation process is the exact same one from Ubuntu, remember the few changes now, about a screen that shows up asking for language before seeing the choices, and that live CD test and installation are two separate choices. I just installed Xubuntu on my laptop for a few tries and the whole repartitioning (I have Ubuntu) and installation lasted in total some 35 -40 minutes, including the 23 minutes it took to repartitionate the disk.:popcorn: good luck!

Senor_Grunt
May 9th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Ok, I did download from xubuntu.org! It says:

Please download Xubuntu from a mirror in a country close to you.
I picked United States.
I didn't pick the Desktop CD cause that's the Live CD right?
So I picked Alternate Install CD, and PC (Intel x86) alternate install CD.
It downloaded a RAR.
I don't have Ubuntu on the laptop, its completely clean.
Never used any type of Linux before, except to soft mod my Xbox. I wanted to straight dive into Linux and Ubuntu.

EDIT:

Ok, wait, could it be automatically saving the packages as a .rar because I have WinRAR on my computer?

NightwishFan
May 9th, 2008, 05:52 AM
It should not rename the extension but it is possible who can say with Windows. Move over it, it should say that it is a .iso when you download, make sure you do not choose "open or run" but "save".

Senor_Grunt
May 9th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Thats what I'm clicking. I'm going to remove WinRAR right now, and see if that works. Hopefully it does.