PDA

View Full Version : browser doesnīt recognize php

Nam_Phet
May 8th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Hit there,

I am trying to install Joomla on my laptop, but I cannot find the solution for one problem. When I point my browser to localhost/Joomla/index.php my dearest FF asks me what to do with that file: open or save?

Now, I am no geek, I searched already for hours on the net how to solve this, but I havenīt found a solution yet.

So my question is: can anyone explain me how to make my browser recognize .php files so I can go on with the Joomla installation?

Mysql is running fine. The php-test doesnīt work, as you may have guessed already :)

Thanks in advance!

LaRoza
May 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Hit there,

I am trying to install Joomla on my laptop, but I cannot find the solution for one problem. When I point my browser to localhost/Joomla/index.php my dearest FF asks me what to do with that file: open or save?

Now, I am no geek, I searched already for hours on the net how to solve this, but I havenīt found a solution yet.

So my question is: can anyone explain me how to make my browser recognize .php files so I can go on with the Joomla installation?

Mysql is running fine. The php-test doesnīt work, as you may have guessed already :)

Thanks in advance!

Give the steps you did for better answers.

First, browsers don't know anything about PHP. It is supposed to be executed on the server. The browser prompt indicates that the file is being served without being executed.

mike_g
May 8th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Have you tried restarting apache?

MicahCarrick
May 8th, 2008, 09:50 PM
My thoughts are php is not installed. Try this (the ones you already have installed will be skipped):

sudo aptitude install apahce2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5 php5-gd php5-mysql

madjr
May 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM

what's wrong with being a geek?

i think you're referring that you're not a "nerd".

what you doing is called geek-work :)

learning stuff makes you a geek.

but that doesn't mean a geek can't be cool or do sports or get drunk or say F*ck or do a bunch of "cool crap"...

Nam_Phet
May 9th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Thank you all!

@ madjr: no bad thoughts about geeks, it is just that I donīt feel myself one, as I am messing things up too much. But on the other hand, that may be one of the characteristics of a geek :) So call me a beginning geek ;)

@all: Eventually I tried to remove as many of the php and apache packages I could find, as well as the complete joomla directory. And I started it all over again (in an attempt to write down all the steps for LaRoza).

It went smooth! Amazing! But when I had to restart apache I got these errors:

* Restarting web server apache2 [Fri May 09 01:36:31 2008] [warn] module php5_module is already loaded, skipping
Syntax error on line 1 of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
ServerName takes one argument, The hostname and port of the server

I remember I wrote down some line in the httpd.conf many hours before (inan attempt to execute php), so maybe these were some leftovers that were not removed at all? Or are these standard lines? I donīt know.
I deleted them and had another restart of apache. Only the syntax error was left. After many trial and errors I found out I had to simply remove the word īlocalhostī, so the httpd.conf was left with:

servername 127.0.0.1

Another restart and all went well!

No other problems arose. Great!

Hope this can help other people too.

Kind regards