PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Kubuntu Install grub to Boot Sector

darkhammer8108
May 8th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hello everyone. i am a freebsd/opensuse user and im trying to migrate over to kubuntu. on my system i use the windows vista boot loader to select the operating system i wish to boot (EasyBCD). i have downloaded the kubuntu-alternate cd and want to make it install grub to the boot sector (the root partition). i went through the steps of installing kubunu on a VM a few times and cannot figure out how to change where grub installs to. does anyone know how to install it to the boot sector?

mikewhatever
May 8th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hello everyone. i am a freebsd/opensuse user and im trying to migrate over to kubuntu. on my system i use the windows vista boot loader to select the operating system i wish to boot (EasyBCD). i have downloaded the kubuntu-alternate cd and want to make it install grub to the boot sector (the root partition). i went through the steps of installing kubunu on a VM a few times and cannot figure out how to change where grub installs to. does anyone know how to install it to the boot sector?

The boot sector, the MBR, should be the default choice, so just don't change anything if MBR is what you want. However, if you want grub installed on a partition, you have to specify that partition instead of hd0.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p6.htm#If_you_choose_No__to_Install_GRUBs_IPL_to_a _custom_location

darkhammer8108
May 9th, 2008, 02:45 AM
ahhh i see. i was testing in a vm without installing vista first so it was not detecting any other OS's and just installing to the MBR. what i need to do for the test is install vista then install kubuntu