PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] opensolaris screwed up my grub settings.

Schreck425
May 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I have a tri-booted PC now. I just put opensolaris on the 3rd partition and the stupid OS blew away my grub settings. I can't seem to even get to my other partitions to edit the new opensolaris grub menu.

I added this to it...
title Ubuntu
root (hd0,0)d
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=b-661784b5-8dbf-451b-b1a8-c1b1f375cb6a ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
quiet

I got this from online cuz I can't get back into my old grub menu file to copy and paste it in there.

Doing this gives me that Ubuntu option, but when I hit enter on it, it takes me to the ubuntu startup screen and it gets stuck. So I obviously have something wrong in the kernel line or initrd line.

So I need help either with what I should put for the kernel, or how to access my other partitions that opensolaris is keeping me out of.

lemming465
May 11th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I'm assuming the trailing d on root (hd0,0)d is a typo, because I don't thik you want it. My first guess based on your description is that the UUID value is slightly wrong; you could try replace the whole root= clause with root=/dev/sda1 and see if that version does better.

Alternatively, depending on how much you love booting opensolaris (haven't tried it yet myself) you could boot a live Ubuntu CD in rescue mode and reinitialize the Ubuntu grub on the first partition.