PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Partitioning problem

kefeer
May 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I'm trying to install kubuntu 8.04 on my HP Pavilion zv6000 laptop. I have a 60gb hard drive that already has WinXP installed on it. I would like to dual boot like I did on my desktop for a while. Unfortunately this is the only hdd I have and no matter what method I try I cannot resize the partition. I have tried several different ways inside of windows (disk manager, fdisk) and also using the kubuntu live disk. I have 37gb of free space on the hard drive and I want to use at least 15gb of that for kubuntu.

Is there anything I can do?

tamoneya
May 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM
NTFS partitions can sometimes be very difficult to make smaller due to fragmentation and files that cannot be relocated. It may be that your only option is to back up your data and then reinstall Windows in a smaller partition and then install ubuntu in the remaining space.

kefeer
May 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM
NTFS partitions can sometimes be very difficult to make smaller due to fragmentation and files that cannot be relocated. It may be that your only option is to back up your data and then reinstall Windows in a smaller partition and then install ubuntu in the remaining space.

Yeah.. I was hoping to avoid that. Thank you! :)