PDA

View Full Version : Oh, wow!

Barrucadu
May 8th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I have just noticed that my laptop battery lasts for roughly twice as long as it did with XP! That's quite important for me since the battery is fairly old and worn down - it has a top capacity of 25%, so any way of increasing that is good.

gn2
May 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Have you timed it with a watch, or are you going by the (often inaccurate) indication in the panel?

FuturePilot
May 8th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Have you timed it with a watch, or are you going by the (often inaccurate) indication in the panel?

That's always been pretty accurate for me :confused:

gn2
May 8th, 2008, 08:39 PM
That's always been pretty accurate for me :confused:

As the old saying goes, your mileage may vary....

Mine's pretty accurate too but it has been known to be wrong on other laptops.

Barrucadu
May 8th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I'm going by the info in /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state and /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/info, and my clock.

intense.ego
May 8th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I was somehow under the impression that the battery lasts longer under XP than Ubuntu. I think I read it somewhere on these forums but I am not sure.

init1
May 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I was somehow under the impression that the battery lasts longer under XP than Ubuntu. I think I read it somewhere on these forums but I am not sure.
Depends on the laptop and the usage. My old laptop seems to have good battery life with FreeDOS, but I only use it for text games.

Saint Angeles
May 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
my GFs battery was completely dead under XP... unplug it and it turned off.

when we put Kubuntu on it, we managed to get about 30 minutes to an hour of life out of it. we discovered it when it accidently got unplugged and the thing kept going.

ubuntu is like miracles.

gali98
May 8th, 2008, 10:55 PM

It depends on how you take care of it. There are programs that help you limit your battery usage.. powertop comes to mind.
Kory