PDA

View Full Version : Potentially, DeVeDe or similar could be Linux's killer app!!

fatality_uk
May 8th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Since gaming is moving off the PC at quite a rapid rate and ending up on a dedicated consoles, and that most consoles have internet access to allow multiplayer gaming, the PC is left with more mundane tasks.

One of the things I liked about XP was Windows movie maker. I didn't want to spend hundreds for an application to create home movies and movie maker was great.

I have about 17,000 photos and about 1,200 videos of family holidays and days out going back years. While DeVeDe, Cinelerra, Kino etc are all great, they, ironically, provide a little too much sometimes.

Most people here have mobile phones, with video, camcorders, digi cameras and all those movies and images are somehow less involving when they are sat as data on a DVD or on my hard drive. I like having DVD's of my photo's and videos as we as a family can sit and watch them together where as it's harder to do that around a PC. It's also more conveinient to share with other family members, just burn a DVD and give it to them or take it round. They all have DVD players!

Yes I can stream them, but most folks wont have that capability, but back to the point, I'd like to see movie maker "cloned" to allow most users easy and effective way to create home movies with subtitles and effects etc in a nice little package!

Delever
May 8th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I am interested in something taken from both Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas worlds. As developer, I agree that this would be huge project. And probably would need paid developers and supporting company behind it to reach the quality of mentioned applications.

bigbrovar
May 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Delever
Re: Potentially, DeVeDe or similar could be Linux's killer app!!
I am interested in something taken from both Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas worlds. As developer, I agree that this would be huge project. And probably would need paid developers and supporting company behind it to reach the quality of mentioned applications.
dude u just spoke my mind .. one thing that kept vista on my machine for a long time was the movie maker program with is really cool .. i have tried searching for similar programs on Linux but all i got weren't comparable to what existed in grrrrh windows I have tried Manslide and ManDVD both are great potentials but i never got them to work .. sad as it is .. i am not a programmer but if i am ever to make it big money wise i wouldn't hesitate to show some dollar love to a project aimed at providing a movie maker software for Linux ..

SomeGuyDude
May 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I wish Linux had something like Windows Movie Maker. It was a simple way to edit a video, add some titles and neat effects. Avidemux is close, but so far away.

madjr
May 8th, 2008, 10:53 PM
what about kdevline?

SomeGuyDude
May 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
what about kdevline?

Something GTK would be nice. I've avoided installing any KDE libraries thus far.

qazwsx
May 9th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I wish Linux had something like Windows Movie Maker. It was a simple way to edit a video, add some titles and neat effects. Avidemux is close, but so far away.
I think Avidemux is more like GUI encoder. Not so much an editor and most of the stuff is doable easily even with mencoder.

Something GTK would be nice. I've avoided installing any KDE libraries thus far.
It would would be nice if I could use QT version of Gimp ;)
Should not be real issue on modern machines.

ReiserFS=killerFS :)

akiratheoni
May 9th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I've always wanted a Windows Movie Maker clone on Linux. Yes, it sucks, but it fits my needs because I just need to splice some clips together and add text and that's it. I've tried Kdenlive and made a video from that but from what I remember of it it was really complicated as I had to learn a new interface.

fatality_uk
May 9th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I've seen quite a few posts about this. It's one of the few areas that I think is lacking in Linux in general. A simple, easy to use video editor ala Microsoft Movie Maker.

I have tried most of the applications available for linux and none quite gets there. I need to create another few DVD's over the coming weeks and am loathed to install Windows just for this task! I might borrow a Win laptop from work for the job :D

Bungo Pony
May 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I agree with all. I do all my video stuff in Windows because Linux is still lacking in this department. It's the ONLY thing I used Windows for now. We also need a good recording program for those of us with TV Tuner cards. I've been trying to record home movies I have and have been mildly successful in Linux using xdtv (I think that's what it's called) which is also no longer supported.

DeVeDe has some good stuff in it, but I've had problems with it, especially with re-encoding video. The sound and video go out of sync :(

Alas, I'm still using Nero Vision. I've tried (unsuccessfully) to run it in WINE. :(

Delever
May 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I am seriously going to start open source multimedia editor library project. It won't be quickly done though, so you will still have to start windows to make DVDs at least for a year :D

fatality_uk
May 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Don't keep it to yourself:D Often one man band projects either struggle, race ahead and then lose momentum or stagnante at an early stage.

Let me know if you do kick off something. I'd like to help but have VERY limited time. My schools project is taking some time to get anywhere (Still pluggin away).

I have an idea of how a great interface would look and could RAD prototype in Lazerus this weekend.

FuturePilot
May 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Yes, we need a simple movie editor. I've tried all of them and they are either extremely buggy, or they are overkill. Cinelerra is nice but it's probably way too complicated and overkill for most people.

:(

Delever
May 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
New thread created. I won't keep it to myself, but I am ready to do major work.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=787964

fatality_uk
May 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I'll project managed it if that helps. As I said, I hardly have any spare time but this is a project, as you can tell from the title, that I would love to have on Linux.