PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] *buntu ISO's - Updated?

Bruce M.
May 8th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Folks,

Not sure if this belongs in Installation & Upgrades or maybe General Help but since my question concerns Installing fresh, I'll pop it in here.

On the day that the "official" release of the *buntu ISO's are released people start downloading them and installing their version (GNOME, Xfce, KDE or Edubuntu, now incorporated in GNOME if memory serves me) on their machines.

And for a while the Update Manager is being used almost on a daily basis to get updates.

Example:
Day 2: 7 updates
Day 3: 4 updates
Day 4: 9 updates
Day 5: 2 updates

As per my example, if I waited until day 5 to download and install the ISO I'd be looking at 22 updates.

So my question is:

At some point is the current ISO changed to included these updates or does it remain the same ISO and the number of updates increases with the amount of time a person waits to get the new release?

I'm going to get 8.04, of that there is no doubt, but I'm wondering if there would be less "updates" if I wait say, a month and have the 30 days of updates incorporated into the ISO I download.

If there is no change, I may as well get it now and just wait until I upgrade my MOBO, CPU and Memory before installing.

I'm going for 4 ISO's:
Ubuntu Live CD & Alt CD
Xubuntu Live CD and Alt CD

Thanks for your time.
Have a nice day.
Bruce

NetworkGuy
May 8th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Yes, at some point I believe the ISO's will change to incorporate the updates since this is an LTS release. I don't know if the ISO change will be within 30 days however. I think I saw July/August for the first "service pack" which signifies the changing of the ISO's

foresto
May 8th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Based on the release schedule, I'm guessing the new disc images will be available on July 3, when 8.04.1 is released.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyReleaseSchedule

live2learn
May 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Don't wait. Changes to ISO are slow, you be lucky to get any before
8.10. If you want the full updates you need to install aptoncd.
this program will burn all your extra updates that you downoaded and install and put it on a cd it can be reinstall in another pc straight away without any internet connection.

I believe this is the only way to get a good copy of ubuntu that may satisfy you.

just think of it as ubuntu cd and ubuntu+xubuntu sp1 cd1

Bruce M.
May 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Based on the release schedule, I'm guessing the new disc images will be available on July 3, when 8.04.1 is released.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyReleaseSchedule

GREAT Link. Thank you. Could be that the "Service Pack" answers my question fully.

Don't wait. Changes to ISO are slow, you be lucky to get any before
8.10. If you want the full updates you need to install aptoncd.
this program will burn all your extra updates that you downoaded and install and put it on a cd it can be reinstall in another pc straight away without any internet connection.

I believe this is the only way to get a good copy of ubuntu that may satisfy you.

just think of it as ubuntu cd and ubuntu+xubuntu sp1 cd1

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into aptoncd for sure.
If I wait until July 3rd, it'll be: ubuntu_sp1 + ubuntu_sp2 CD's :)

EDIT:
Went to the APTonCD site and read:

What is APTonCD?

APTonCD is a tool with a graphical interface which allows you to create one or more CDs or DVDs (you choose the type of media) with all of the packages you've downloaded via APT-GET or APTITUDE, creating a removable repository that you can use on other computers.

THOUGHT: But I'm getting things with "Update Manager and Synaptic" ... not necessarily just APT and APTITUDE

APTonCD will also allow you to automatically create media with all of your .deb packages located in one especific repository, so that you can install them into your computers without the need for an internet conection.

With APTonCD you be able to...

Backup
Backup all downloaded packages (via apt-get, aptitude and synaptic) to restore later.

GRAB this program now!
Huge thank you!

Have a nice day
Bruce