PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Online ubuntu training - is it any good?

hufferd
May 8th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Has anyone taken the online training course for ubuntu that is posted on the web site? I really am thinking about doing it but @ $117.00 USD I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

As I said in another post this morning I am a long time windows user from clear back at 3.1 so I. Feel like I am lost at times with ubuntu and I think this training course would really help me feel more at home with it....

Any ideas

~Dan

SanjoEel
May 8th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I can't speak for this course, but if you want to learn linux without spending $$ here are some free books that I and others have found online. Free Linux Books Online (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=484846)

wootah
May 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I recommend SanjoEel's advice. He has listed many solid free learning tools for Ubuntu and Linux.

Why pay for a course that you can get the material for free? :)

hufferd
May 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I can't speak for this course, but if you want to learn linux without spending $$ here are some free books that I and others have found online. Free Linux Books Online (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=484846)

Hey there thanks for the info I'll check it out :)

nowshining
May 9th, 2008, 02:00 AM
paying helps keep canonical running the forums smoothy and of course the ability to continue and add-more things in the future for the Ubuntu/Kubuntu versions.

The bandwidth to download updates, etc.. is NOT free to the canonical company.

hufferd
May 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM
paying helps keep canonical running the forums smoothy and of course the ability to continue and add-more things in the future for the Ubuntu/Kubuntu versions.

The bandwidth to download updates, etc.. is NOT free to the canonical company.

Nowshining -> Thats a good point. I was talking to a friend of mine about Ubuntu and it being "free" He said well now wait a second NOTHING IS FREE!

And you know nothing could be more true even though we don't have to pay for Ubuntu directly. Someone is paying for it in the long run. If its the time the programmers spend on it (and don't get paid) or what it is. Someone is paying for Ubuntu some how some way.

I'm still going to look into some of the free things out there as far as training and online classes and such but........

And this is just from my point of view --> To me paying for the online course that canonical has listed on their web site could be one small way that I can contribute to the Ubuntu development community. (since I'm not a programmer)

nowshining
May 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM
that is one of the ways,

there are many ways to help out...

such as beta testing, alpha testing, etc.. and reporting back bugs to the launchpad site.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingUbuntu?highlight=%28helping%29

gabak
October 9th, 2010, 03:50 PM
hey
i was trying to find something about this guy SanjoEel's and i did nt find any video or class about linux

I recommend SanjoEel's advice. He has listed many solid free learning tools for Ubuntu and Linux.

Why pay for a course that you can get the material for free? :)