PDA

View Full Version : Cool! I like the new instant previews for MP3 files!

OzzyFrank
May 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Just wanted to say I got a real surprise when I hovered my cursor over an MP3 file and it started playing it! I wasn't sure if it sampled it at first, but sure enough, leave your cursor over the file and it will continue playing. I think that is pretty awesome, and love these improvements with each release of Ubuntu.

blithen
May 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Just wanted to say I got a real surprise when I hovered my cursor over an MP3 file and it started playing it! I wasn't sure if it sampled it at first, but sure enough, leave your cursor over the file and it will continue playing. I think that is pretty awesome, and love these improvements with each release of Ubuntu.
This feature has been in Ubuntu since at least Fiesty, it was broken in hardy.

OzzyFrank
May 8th, 2008, 04:31 PM
News to me it was in Feisty! And try telling that to my mate who only uses the PC basically to load MP3 tracks onto his iPod. Don't know why you had it and we didn't. And definitely not in Gutsy either. And you're saying it's broken in Hardy, while I'm saying I've never had this feature in Ubuntu/Nautilus till this upgrade! Weird... were you using some bleeding edge versions of Nautilus or something?

fktt
May 8th, 2008, 04:45 PM
im still running feisty, and on the first day of running it, with out tweaking the OS i had that feature.
It just takes a second or so of holding your cursor over the file before it starts playing, and it only plays a part of it.

OzzyFrank
May 8th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Yep, that's really weird, as my friend would have definitely noticed it by now, since he is always handling MP3s. And from where I am sitting, it plays the whole track if you leave your cursor there. Wonder why some people didn't get this feature till now?? I've done fresh installs and upgrades too...

vishzilla
May 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM
mpg321 package enables you to do this. I guess they enabled it by default in Hardy. I installed it in Gutsy

OzzyFrank
May 8th, 2008, 05:23 PM
mpg321 - knew it had to be some package probably installed as a dependency to another that was enabling it for some and not others. I have no idea what that package is for, but I guess it has something to do with media. I probably didn't have it coz I only have the basic multimedia apps. Thanks for that.

kostkon
May 8th, 2008, 05:43 PM
This is a very old feature, I had it in Hoary (5.04).

insane_alien
May 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM
yeah, this has been here since ubuntu existed.it was around before then as well.

Depressed Man
May 8th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Haha I didn't realize this was in previous Ubuntu versions. I was using Hardy one day (transferring music to my n800) and I was wondering why another song was playing.

skymera
May 8th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Ive had Ubuntu over a year and i've never noticed it xD
I'll check a bit later

RichardG891
May 8th, 2008, 06:21 PM
That's right... I had it in Red Hat 7 (well, for .ogg anyway). Couldn't do windows media then though.

Bungo Pony
May 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I discovered it in Feisty. Scared the hell out of me when I just moved my mouse and a Judas Priest song came blasting out my speakers.

insane_alien
May 8th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I discovered it in Feisty. Scared the hell out of me when I just moved my mouse and a Judas Priest song came blasting out my speakers.

It would have been scarier if it was S-Club 7 :P

SuperSon!c
May 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM
rofl, news to me, nice find!

swoll1980
May 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM
rofl, news to me, nice find!

I had to install pulse audio in gutsy to get this feature

SuperSon!c
May 8th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I had to install pulse audio in gutsy to get this feature

maybe that's why i didn't notice? i've been using ubuntu on and off since breezy and never knew. either way, pretty cool.

days_of_ruin
May 8th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I never noticed it until hardy.I don't think it worked for me in gutsy.

init1
May 8th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I remember this in Fedora Core 1.

adityakavoor
May 9th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Place the song on desktop.

Move the mouse over it.

Delete the file without disturbing the mouse

How do you stop playback of the song ?