PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] low-graphics mode after upgrade to hardy

bergeo
May 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I just upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy, and now my monitor is stuck in low-graphics mode. It worked fine before the upgrade.

I get a message saying "your screen and graphics card could not be detected correctly". If I select 'configure', it correctly detects my monitor model (dell e196fp) but the only resolution options I get are 640x480 and 800x600. Once the system comes up, if I run 'screen resolution' from the system preferences menu I get a big square saying 'unknown', and the same two resolution options.

I'm using the built-in graphics of my Intel DG33FB motherboard.

Any ideas how to fix this?

I saw something about 'now with easy uninstall' on the Hardy main page. Is there an easy way to drop back to Gutsy?

George

dstew
May 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM
If you have a graphical interface, see if there is a restricted driver available (System --> Administration --> Restricted Drivers Manager). To re-configure the display, hit alt-F2 and enter
gksudo displayconfig-gtk. If you really have no managable graphical interface, you can boot in Recovery Mode (grub menu item) and try the xfix menu option.

EDIT: Unless you saved your Gutsy partition(s) intact, there is no easy way to go back. You would have to re-install Gutsy, I think.

bergeo
May 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I checked the System --> Administration menu, but it doesn't show a 'Restricted Drivers Manager' option for me.

I can get the Screen and Graphics Preferences application using the suggested command, but it still only gives me the two resolution options. It detects my monitor model correctly, and shows my graphics card as 'VESA driver (generic)'. Clicking the Test button produces "Configuration test failed".

Should I be using a different option for graphics card? I tried a few different ones (various intel, generic vga), but get the same results with each.

RgnadKzin
May 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I have a KVM switch. I had to plug the monitor directly into the ubuntu box, restart in recovery mode and use the xfix option. After that, I was able to use all of the screen resolutions.

bergeo
May 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Bingo!

I use a KVM too. I tried the xfix trick and now it's all better. Many thanks RgnadKzin!

George

linkunderscore
May 22nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
I am having this exact same problem...except I am not running a KVM switch. Its with my laptop. Any other suggestions?

NTBao
August 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Didnt cut it for me either. Also laptop. I'm still trying to experiment with everything though. Will bring the good news if I have some.