PDA

View Full Version : Wow! a whole day without "Which language is the best?" thread!

dempl_dempl
May 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
He he, I haven't seen that since the first time I joined to the Ubuntu Forums :) .

That's nice for change.

Cheers!

Joeb454
May 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah it is. So what language do you think is best?

(I couldn't resist)

dempl_dempl
May 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah it is. So what language do you think is best?

(I couldn't resist)

Aagrrrhhhhh!

WW
May 8th, 2008, 03:41 PM
That's because everyone finally realized that everything since FORTRAN77 is just a passing fad.

LaRoza
May 8th, 2008, 06:53 PM
C++

pmasiar
May 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM
real programmers (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html) use Fortran IV :-)

But I believe, that OP's question is not needed: all language seekers found Python, and were enlightened

nvteighen
May 8th, 2008, 07:22 PM
C++
What are you saying??

Please, everyone knows Microsoft QuickBASIC 4.5 is the best language ever!

Wybiral
May 8th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I've been too busy writing my web server in brain**** to argue about languages...

Therion
May 8th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I was going to vote for French, but I, uh... I can see I'm in over my head here. heh...

That's what I get for relying on "View New Posts" so much...

<< Backs out slowly... >>

stevescripts
May 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM
why, the best language is the one I'm using currently, of course! ;)

Steve

LaRoza
May 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
why, the best language is the one I'm using currently, of course! ;)

Steve

Blub?

Lau_of_DK
May 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Blub?

Best software for making powerfull stable apps in notime?

C#

Best high-level-language for causing epileptic attacks?

Lisp

stevescripts
May 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Blub?

Shameless attempt at humor ... I think most of us have more than
one tool in the toolbox

WitchCraft
May 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Best software for making powerfull stable apps in notime?

C#

Best high-level-language for causing epileptic attacks?

Lisp

C#? Whoot, noting beats Assembler, except shellcode - or a sudden change in processor-type.

French?

No, it's too widely spoken, you would be nothing special if you did.

I'd say Swiss-German.
That is, because it's not evil because it's not German, and it's not evil because it's not English, and also the English speaking don't hate you because it's not French, and because it doesn't use another alphabet like Greek, Russian, or Chinese, and because there are ABSOLUTELY no spelling rulez, and it might even help you setting up a more tax-free bank account ;-)

dempl_dempl
May 8th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Gaelic is much better. When you speak, it always sounds like you're about to spit at someone ;) .

wootah
May 8th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Programming in whitespace. For ex:
'

'
Compile and run everything inbetween the ' and you have a program that adds two user defined intergers! For brevity, I did not include any comments, but I think it should be easy enough to understand.

Plus, it's super easy to do code review AND you save ink! :D

josys36
May 8th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Ibm Rpg!

Nuverde
May 9th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Programming in whitespace. For ex:
'

'
Compile and run everything inbetween the ' and you have a program that adds two user defined intergers! For brevity, I did not include any comments, but I think it should be easy enough to understand.

Plus, it's super easy to do code review AND you save ink! :D

I recently came across this myself. Here are some links for your enjoyment...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespace_(programming_language)

and

http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php (http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php)

dempl_dempl
May 9th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Ok... the thread "Which C++ IDE is the best " emerged , which ended 36 hours of "Which is the best..." silence :D .

Time to close the thread :P

Cheers!

LaRoza
May 9th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Ok... the thread "Which C++ IDE is the best " emerged , which ended 36 hours of "Which is the best..." silence :D .

Time to close the thread :P

Cheers!

Isn't it in the Recurring Discussions?

GavinZac
May 9th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Gaelic is much better. When you speak, it always sounds like you're about to spit at someone ;) .

Is maith liom caca milis. Tabhair dom, an caca milis! Sharon Ní Bheaoiláin, is maith liom do suibhle.

LaRoza
May 9th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Is maith liom caca milis. Tabhair dom, an caca milis! Sharon Ní Bheaoiláin, is maith liom do suibhle.

Tongue piercing?

days_of_ruin
May 9th, 2008, 03:29 AM
lol remember when this boards description said that "any language is allowed".:lolflag:

LaRoza
May 9th, 2008, 03:31 AM
lol remember when this boards description said that "any language is allowed".

That was changed because of a post in French.

jespdj
May 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Be glad you don't have to use MUMPS (http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/A_Case_of_the_MUMPS.aspx). Yes, it is a serious programming language, and there are programmers who are tortured with it.

pedro_orange
May 9th, 2008, 04:12 PM
What is the best language for writing a magical piece of software that reads your mind and tells you the answer almost instantly?

dwblas
May 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Perhaps we should all reply with a language like Piet http://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/piet/samples.html or post that they should be ignored because it's been covered 100s of times. People who start another "Which _____ is the best" posts are not serious IMHO. Perhaps it is indeed time to take some sort of clean-up-the-nonsense action. Does anyone know how it is handled on other forums?

Is maith liom caca milis. Tabhair dom, an caca milis! Sharon Ní Bheaoiláin, is maith liom do suibhle.En ilt caan daca silim. (And the best part is that you can make anything up and no one will know.)

LaRoza
May 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Perhaps we should all reply with a language like Piet http://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/piet/samples.html or post that they should be ignored because it's been covered 100s of times. People who start another "Which _____ is the best" posts are not serious IMHO. Perhaps it is indeed time to take some sort of clean-up-the-nonsense action. Does anyone know how it is handled on other forums?

Just say look at the sticky and ignore the rest of the thread.

pbpersson
May 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Java - because there are several IDE's, a huge number of people using it, and it is truly platform independent. That is where I am concentrating all my efforts.

I have spent years in VB.NET dealing with the .NET framework - I see that the C# language is very similar to Java so I'm hoping if I combine my Java knowledge with my VB.NET knowledge I will also be able to write code in C#.NET, using Visual Studio or Mono.

I don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket - it is more exciting to have several baskets going at once. ;)

LaRoza
May 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Java - because there are several IDE's, a huge number of people using it, and it is truly platform independent. That is where I am concentrating all my efforts.

I have spent years in VB.NET dealing with the .NET framework - I see that the C# language is very similar to Java so I'm hoping if I combine my Java knowledge with my VB.NET knowledge I will also be able to write code in C#.NET, using Visual Studio or Mono.

I don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket - it is more exciting to have several baskets going at once. ;)

It isn't platform independent, it is a platform.

There are more IDE's for other languages. The question is: Why are so many people using it? Is it because they chose to after looking at all the options or something else? In my observations, the Java crowd was taught it in school or their workplace requires it.

Beware of using Blub.

wootah
May 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM
It isn't platform independent, it is a platform.

There are more IDE's for other languages. The question is: Why are so many people using it? Is it because they chose to after looking at all the options or something else? In my observations, the Java crowd was taught it in school or their workplace requires it.

Beware of using Blub.

Blub?

pmasiar
May 12th, 2008, 05:30 PM
http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html

Read the whole thing, "Blub paradox" is defined midway down