PDA

View Full Version : FRAUD: Fujitsu Siemens and Linux

mihailojocic
May 8th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I bought ESPRIMO Mobile 5515 and I got Knoppix DVD with my laptop. DVD have OFFICIALLY Fujitsu Siemens sign, but I don't see any Linux support on their website. I contact some people from Fujitsu Siemens and they are told me that Fujitsu Siemens OFFICIALLY do not support Linux. Is there some law against this fraud?

adonet
May 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM
depends in which country you bought it.

In Holland you could tell it to BUMA STEMRA or BREIN

strange that Fujitsu Siemens didn't take any action against your CD
They could go to the police don't they?

mihailojocic
May 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM
you don't understand

"fujitsu siemens" gave me DVD

DVD was in original laptop box and now they don't want to offer me any support

Xiong Chiamiov
May 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
You bought a laptop directly from Fujitsu with Knoppix?

Kevbert
May 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM
If you were in the UK, I'd speak to Trading Standards about this. Do you have a government/trading body that looks into this sort of thing ? Alternatively, if possible take the goods back to the place you bought them and speak to them.

Nepherte
May 10th, 2008, 10:27 AM
It certainly is deceiving, but it's not because Fujitsu gives you a Knoppix cd, that they actually give you support for it.

mihailojocic
May 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM
You bought a laptop directly from Fujitsu with Knoppix?

Yes I am. Directly from fujitsu dealer. If you want I can send you picture of that amazing disk. :-) I have disk serial number, bar code... Now I just want driver for my SiS.

p_quarles
May 10th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Moved to Community Cafe, since this is not a techical support request.

While laws vary, I really don't think this would rise above being a simple trademark issue, and I have no idea who owns the Knoppix trademark, and what rules cover its usage. Fujitsu Siemens putting their logo on something, though, doesn't require them to offer any technical support.

mihailojocic
May 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
If you were in the UK, I'd speak to Trading Standards about this. Do you have a government/trading body that looks into this sort of thing ? Alternatively, if possible take the goods back to the place you bought them and speak to them.

I have something like government/trading body in my country, but they definitely don't do nothing good. I live in Serbia and I need something international. I never like big corporations, but this is too much.

mihailojocic
May 10th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Moved to Community Cafe, since this is not a techical support request.

While laws vary, I really don't think this would rise above being a simple trademark issue, and I have no idea who owns the Knoppix trademark, and what rules cover its usage. Fujitsu Siemens putting their logo on something, though, doesn't require them to offer any technical support.

Even if it's only OS that I receive with laptop?

p_quarles
May 10th, 2008, 11:12 PM
That depends entirely on your agreement with the person(s) from whom you bought the computer. They are not required to include any operating system with the computer, and don't need to offer support even if they do. If your agreement with the vendor includes support and/or an operating system, you are entitled to it. That is a contractual issue, though, and there is no law against anyone selling you a computer with a Knoppix DVD.

In any case, Knoppix is rarely used as an installed OS. Sometimes vendors will include a live CD or DVD as a recovery utility.

LaRoza
May 10th, 2008, 11:13 PM

It is the only OS that you have?

What do you want to put on this laptop? It is likely Linux would work well for you.

This laptop, could you give the model and specs?

the yawner
May 11th, 2008, 02:48 AM
The way I see it, it's like those promo old game CDs I got from my soundcard.

madjr
May 11th, 2008, 04:42 AM
That depends entirely on your agreement with the person(s) from whom you bought the computer. They are not required to include any operating system with the computer, and don't need to offer support even if they do. If your agreement with the vendor includes support and/or an operating system, you are entitled to it. That is a contractual issue, though, and there is no law against anyone selling you a computer with a Knoppix DVD.

In any case, Knoppix is rarely used as an installed OS. Sometimes vendors will include a live CD or DVD as a recovery utility.

+1 exactly.

it would be cool if every vendor also included a Live-CD along with the each purchase :)

samjh
May 11th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I bought ESPRIMO Mobile 5515 and I got Knoppix DVD with my laptop. DVD have OFFICIALLY Fujitsu Siemens sign, but I don't see any Linux support on their website. I contact some people from Fujitsu Siemens and they are told me that Fujitsu Siemens OFFICIALLY do not support Linux. Is there some law against this fraud?

For something to be "fraud", there needs to be deception and personal gain.

Did Fujitsu Siemens or their dealer deceive you by promising you support for Knoppix? If they did not promise support, then there was no deception.

Did Fujitsu Siemens or their dealer make a gain by using support for Knoppix to persuade you to buy their product? If support for Knoppix was not promised and you did not consider it when buying the laptop, then this test also fails.

In the end, this does not seem to be fraud.

Other breaches of law may have occurred, but I don't think you can claim any legal remedy for them personally unless you suffered a loss because of the breach(es).

smoker
May 11th, 2008, 08:18 AM
forget the hassle, download ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

i'm sure you'll get all the help and support you need here :-)

mihailojocic
May 11th, 2008, 09:13 AM
forget the hassle, download ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

i'm sure you'll get all the help and support you need here :-)

I already use ubuntu and I'm very satisfied. Linux user #395180. Earlier I was "on SUSE" but... :-) Ubuntu is real-deal. I have only one problem, SiS 671/672 3d driver. I was, and I'm still angry. Now I understand that I can't do anything good, but that's stupid. Everyone (almost) wash hands from Linux and suddenly put you DVD in your laptop. Ok, someone said that's good, but little support wont bring anything bad. So what I (we) can do? What if they receive 20 000 or more mails?

madjr
May 11th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I already use ubuntu and I'm very satisfied. Linux user #395180. Earlier I was "on SUSE" but... :-) Ubuntu is real-deal. I have only one problem, SiS 671/672 3d driver. I was, and I'm still angry. Now I understand that I can't do anything good, but that's stupid. Everyone (almost) wash hands from Linux and suddenly put you DVD in your laptop. Ok, someone said that's good, but little support wont bring anything bad. So what I (we) can do? What if they receive 20 000 or more mails?

i believe your experience with knoppix was not too good?

if i were you, i would tell them to include something more user friendly and with better support like the Ubuntu live-CD or linuxmint.

robertchahine
May 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM
here in lebanon, my brother have fujitsu siemens and uses ubuntu. i don't think there's a problem

racoq
May 11th, 2008, 09:43 PM
My Fujitsu Siemens Amilo, last time i've checked with ubuntu Live CD (Gutsy) worked out of the box on everything. Seens to me the problem of your laptop is indeed the SIS chipset of your graphic card, they are poorly suported on linux as compared to nvidia, ati, or intel graphic cards