PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with install

n00btolinux
May 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Ok, brand new to Linux. Heard a lot about it over the years. Here's the scenario. Had an old hard drive laying around. So I opened PC and unhooked wires from existing HDD's. Then I put Old hard drive in PC. Wanted to check it out and make sure its stable with my hardware and GAMES before I dive in all the way. So installing was basic ran into a point during install where mouse and keyboard wouldn't work(used PS/2 devices to get around this). after install PC reboots and tries to start linux but I get an message saying something about APIC. Linux is on HDD already so how do I bypass this message and continue with boot. Hoping my games work on the Linux platform, thats all I really do on PC anyway is game, but I'm sick of microsoft and thier products.

Thank You

PS Here are my PC specs if needed
ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 2.4 3800+
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7900GT 256MB
Creative SB X-FI XtremeGamer
150GB SATA II (Linux on 80GB IDE drive)
80GB IDE
WIN XP Pro (Hopefully not for long)

Pumalite
May 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM
With Vista, you use the Vista partitioner to allocate space for Ubuntu first. You cannot partition with the Ubuntu CD. Super Grub can fix your Windows MBR:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/supergrubdiskpage.html

Sef
May 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Then I put Old hard drive in PC. Wanted to check it out and make sure its stable with my hardware and GAMES before I dive in all the way.

Best way to check things out is to use the Live CD and just run on it. If there is a problem, it will almost always show up when using the Live CD. Your hardware seems fine.

after install PC reboots and tries to start linux but I get an message saying something about APIC.

What does the message say?

n00btolinux
May 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
OK cool have Hardy installed on IDE drive and xp pro on SATA Drive. Had to tweak a few things in BIOS for it to work. Now running WoW & Guild wars with WINE. Seriously thinking about deleting XP and putting Linux on Sata Drive. Any thoughts?? Was also wondering about Anti Virus, Spyware, Firewall, etc. Do I need to use these programs in Linux or are there other programs which are equivalent? Please let me know. Thank You

Pumalite
May 9th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Ubuntu comes with iptables. As for anti spyware or antivirus; you don't need it.
http://www.unix-tutorials.com/go.php?id=861