PDA

View Full Version : Fedora vs Ubuntu: for laptop

presston
May 8th, 2008, 07:18 AM
What's difference between them? what will be best for my asus laptop? I have 2 distributives: Fredora 8 & Ubuntu 7.10.

Need your advice:)

agim
May 8th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I would run both livecds, just to make sure everything will work with your hardware. I chose ubuntu (after a brief foray into fedora) because of the hardware recognition and because ubuntu has a better packaging manager, in the opinion of most.

Jammy4041
May 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Yes, the distributions look the same minus Wallpaper but the package managers are very different.

Why OR? This OR that. Why choose? Have both if you really want to!

presston
May 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM
i had both of them on my work comp, but didn't look any seriously difference (except root vs sudo)

Antman
May 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM
You're just going to have to try them both and see how they work for you. On my laptops (IBM Thinkpads) I prefer Fedora since everthing works. Fedora is also not as n00b friendly as Ubuntu, in my opinion.

At any rate, good luck in choosing.

AntMan

Antman
May 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
i had both of them on my work comp, but didn't look any seriously difference (except root vs sudo)

Setting up sudo is pretty easy.

presston
May 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM
at least, i installed ubuntu ... because there are some broblems with wi-fi config and drivers in fedora and too a little of documentation and forums :/

ubuntu rulezzz)