PDA

View Full Version : Building a Computer...

gali98
May 7th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hey guys.....
I am in the market of buying(and building a computer).... My p2 is just too old and I need something new.... So basically what I am asking for is some help in selecting components I need to buy.
I am looking to spend right now about $800.
At this point I want to spend most of my money on more expensive parts that can't be easily updated. (i.e. motherboard, processor...)
I can start with a gig of RAM (maybe even 512) and use onboard graphics right now, but in the future I want either NVIDIA SLI or Crossfire. I will be doing graphics work and will need that later.
I can also update RAM, sound card, maybe firewire later, etc....

But I don't want to go out and buy another processor or MoBo.
I would really want quad-core, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.
I need a good hard drive 80-100 gigs.... don't worry about cd/dvd drive.
The last thing I need is for it too work with Ubuntu (its getting better all the time.

Any help, questions, redirection to guides/tutorials, or anything would be much appreciated.

Kory

Mateo
May 7th, 2008, 11:16 PM
just so you know, the big money items are the mobo, graphics card, and hard drive. everything else is so cheap it isn't worth worrying about (arguably the hard drive is that cheap now too).

gali98
May 7th, 2008, 11:19 PM
just so you know, the big money items are the mobo, graphics card, and hard drive. everything else is so cheap it isn't worth worrying about (arguably the hard drive is that cheap now too).

Well, yeah .... I know that. :)
I am actually looking towards specific parts to buy, or a certain brand or a guide that tells me such. I want good quality that leaves me room to update later, and has good compatibility.
Kory

Mateo
May 7th, 2008, 11:21 PM
well, as far as compatibility, i don't think it matters which processor you use, all work well in linux. you definitely want nvidia over ati for graphics though. network card doesn't matter, they all work.

tamoneya
May 7th, 2008, 11:25 PM
here is a start. THis was all done quickly so go easy.
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6164294&WishListTitle=gali98
edit: I forgot to put in a non-stock cpu cooler. It was just added.

hessiess
May 7th, 2008, 11:25 PM
the only way to get 100% linux compatable hardwere at the moment is to resertch every single component, look for Linux reviews and outher peoples problems.

Unless you are running VM,s or doing 3D work a quad core is useless. Most games dont even suport more than one or two threds(cores).

Avoid ATI if you are using it with ubuntu. depending on what you reed, crossfire/SLI apears to only offer minimal proformance increse. just get a 8800GT, curantly the best performance for lest money.

gali98
May 7th, 2008, 11:28 PM
well, as far as compatibility, i don't think it matters which processor you use, all work well in linux. you definitely want nvidia over ati for graphics though. network card doesn't matter, they all work.

Are you sure about the nvidia/ati thing? the ati drivers seem to be maturing with the source/docs they are getting. I'm not sure I want to use restricted drivers. Also I already have a wireless Netgear MA111 which works great.
As far as processor goes, I'm looking for the sweet spot of the market. I don't really follow all that....
Kory

gali98
May 7th, 2008, 11:31 PM
here is a start. THis was all done quickly so go easy.
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6164294&WishListTitle=gali98

Wow thanks man... This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

the only way to get 100% linux compatable hardwere at the moment is to resertch every single component, look for Linux reviews and outher peoples problems.

Unless you are running VM,s or doing 3D work a quad core is useless. Most games dont even suport more than one or two threds(cores).

Avoid ATI if you are using it with ubuntu. depending on what you reed, crossfire/SLI apears to only offer minimal proformance increse. just get a 8800GT, curantly the best performance for lest money.

lol.. I will be doing 3d work. Hopefully lots of it. :)
Kory

tamoneya
May 7th, 2008, 11:36 PM
glad you liked it. This is very close to what I am running with the exception of ram and hdd. I have 4gb of RAM and a larger RAID of harddrives as you can see in my sig. I definately recommend it. As for nvidia vs. ati i also recommend nvidia. While they are not open source they are much more mature at the moment. In 3 or 4 years ati may be better in this area but as you said you are going to replace the gfx cards probably you can get an ATI if that happens.

gali98
May 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM
The more I look at it the more I love it! So now I have another question for you... For the time being I have a 40 gig hard drive that I could live off for a bit. Would it be worth it to save up a bit more and go RAID. I have been interested in it, but despite reading some about it, don't really know what it is. How advanced is the configuration and what are the pros? Thanks,
Kory
p.s. yeah I noticed it looked about like your sig, so I guess everything runs all right....

tamoneya
May 7th, 2008, 11:50 PM
its not to hard to setup and you can always add it later. The first change I would make to the computer i suggested is to up the ram and disk space. harddrives are so cheap currently. If I were to buy a harddrive today i would get a 750 GB (~120 US)harddrive since they currently are the lowest $/GB. So i would start with one of those and then add another when you get a chance and then RAID those together. Since I build my computer last summer it is all 500 GB drives since they were cheapest per GB. my raid is made of 4 x 500GB drives resulting in 1.5 TB of storage. The cool thing is that if one of the drive dies i dont lose any data. All i have to do is put a new drive in the same place the old one was and tell the computer to rebuild the raid array and no damage was done.

coldswede
May 8th, 2008, 12:01 AM
This is not a criticism of the suggested list. it's just $50 is $50. The system is no where near demanding enough for a 700w PSU. you could get a nice 500w or 550w for $80ish dollars and use the difference for a hard drive. I just today took delivery of this for $79 dollars which is enough for for future growth http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103941.
Just a thought. Either way Newegg seems to be the place to shop.

tamoneya
May 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I purposely built in extra power into the build since the OP said he planned on adding SLI and other stuff in the future. A pair of high end SLI cards will eat through that power very quickly.

SoloSalsa
May 8th, 2008, 12:17 AM
If you do not need dual graphics cards, get an Intel brand motherboard. Intel is one of the most "Linux friendly" manufacturers.
tamoneya, good job picking an 80 PLUS power supply.

tamoneya
May 8th, 2008, 12:23 AM
power supplies are something which I feel people don't spend enough time looking at. It is very important to get a good efficient power supply. Not only does it save you money and save energy but it will also make the rest of your computer last longer. The higher quality, higher efficiency powersupplies typically provide much cleaner power and that makes your other hardware happy. Since he is going to be using linux he is probably going to be using this computer for 10 years unlike windows users who get virii and OSes like vista. They consider their computer obselete in 4 or 5 years.

EDIT: it was also on sale :)

gali98
May 8th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I purposely built in extra power into the build since the OP said he planned on adding SLI and other stuff in the future. A pair of high end SLI cards will eat through that power very quickly.

Yes this is actually what I wanted. I don't want to get down the road and have problems only to find out that my psu can't handle everything I have..... plus a sale is nice :)
Also thanks for the raid advice. any specific place for help on the matter?
guys it may be a while until I get this, but when I do I will post everything how it works out and all.... especially thanks to tamoneya!
Kory

tamoneya
May 8th, 2008, 12:38 AM
you should start by looking into a program called mdadm. It allows you to make software raids which are inferior to hardware raids but unless you are using a very expensive raid card on your computer its your best option.

Here is the post i followed. It is a little outdated (feisty) but it is pretty easy to adapt.
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-517282.html

gali98
May 8th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Thank you so much! you are my favorite in the person right now :P
I am officialy(well how do you spell it?) solving this thread, but anybody feel free to post some more help on the matter. Thanks to ubuntu and the community.
¡ Kory !

p.s. do you know how long that wishlist will stay active, and/or is there some way to save it?

never mind... I am going to email it to myself...

tamoneya
May 8th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I will probably leave it there for at least a couple weeks. I also shared it. depending on how sees it people on newegg may rate it (1 to 5 eggs). Check back later and it may have some ratings. After about 3 weeks or so it will be sufficiently outdated that I would suggest making a new one. If you havent ordered the parts by then PM me and I will check the list and make sure it is still up to date.

teet
May 8th, 2008, 02:14 AM
For what it's worth...

I don't know if it's worth it to swap out the OEM heatsink/fan. The heatsink/fan was designed specifically by Intel to work with this particular processor.

-teet

tamoneya
May 8th, 2008, 02:36 AM
For what it's worth...

I don't know if it's worth it to swap out the OEM heatsink/fan. The heatsink/fan was designed specifically by Intel to work with this particular processor.

-teet

It is about 12 degrees cooler (celsius). This will extend the lifetime of the processor a fair amount. But the other nice thing is that it is quieter than the stock heatsink. Also the way that it pushes air through the case is better. The freezer 7 cooler will push it out the back of the case while the stock cooler results in more turbulence in the case and results in poorer cooling of other components

source: http://www.pureoverclock.com/article642-4.html

teet
May 8th, 2008, 03:08 AM
It is about 12 degrees cooler (celsius). This will extend the lifetime of the processor a fair amount. But the other nice thing is that it is quieter than the stock heatsink. Also the way that it pushes air through the case is better. The freezer 7 cooler will push it out the back of the case while the stock cooler results in more turbulence in the case and results in poorer cooling of other components

source: http://www.pureoverclock.com/article642-4.html

Well sign me up. If these are so much clearly better, why doesn't intel change their design? [note: I'm not being sarcastic...I'm serious] Must be a money thing.

-teet

tamoneya
May 8th, 2008, 03:14 AM
im not really sure why intel doesnt invest some into heatsink development but my guess is that they dont really care and they would rather work on making a better processor. Especially since they know that most serious people are going to replace them anyways. Also they try to make the processors as cheap as possible. Using the Q6600 as an example just because it is so common. The OEM (no heatsink included) is $10 cheaper than the retail (heatsink included). This heatsink is $36 retail.

kvk
May 12th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I read this thread with interest (plus some other computer-bulding threads), as I'm going to try and build a few boxes too.

I'm going to use the Shuttle barebones systems from Newegg. The processor is an Athlon 64 X2 5000, with 4 gb RAM and a moderate drive size. I don't need any fancy graphics, so the integrated mobo function is sufficient.

My question is power supply. These are going to be used for fairly processor-intensive numbers crunching (ecosystem models), but all the barebones systems at Newegg have only 250 - 300 watt power supplies, which seem a bit low to me for this kind of activity. What would you folks suggest?

I was also wondering about all the "standard extras" that come without thinking about it in a pre-build system: wifi and so on. If I have the mobo, the cooling system (I'm ordering an extra fan), RAM, hard drive, processor, and media drive, am I missing anything major? Everything I've read so far says that just about covers it, but I want to double check before I go and spend a lot of money! :)

Thanks!

tamoneya
May 13th, 2008, 12:22 AM
kvk: as long as your motherboard has on board graphics then yes you have covered all of the bases. If this is not the case then you need to buy yourself a graphics card.

As for power consumption: There is a maximum rated power draw from the CPU which can be looked up. No matter how intense the number crunching is the CPU will not draw more power than that.

Since you seem to be new to judging power comsumption the best way for you to get a good estimate is with the newegg wattage calculator: http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html. Put in all of your components and it will tell you what your max wattage needs to be. I then add on a little bit since I want to make sure that it will be fully stable since I like to overclock. Chances are you will find the 250 W PSU built into the shuttle case a little inadequet but maybe not.

kvk
May 13th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Most excellent! Thanks for the link to the calculator!

I called Shuttle, and the max. they will put in is 300 Watts. The calculator produced an estimate of 279 Watts with the Athlon 64 X2 (65 nm), so I guess I'd be okay with the 300.

:popcorn: :)

unelemented
May 13th, 2008, 02:36 AM
If you want raid later on buy a motherboard that supports raid out of the box
These will be with SATA (ATA-7) HDD's make sure theyre SATA 300 ones aswell theyll be alot faster

If your using two HDDs (identical ones) for RAID you can ether use RAID 0 or RAID 1
RAID 0 is used for speed but if one drive fails you loose all your data
RAID 1 is used for back up both drives have the same data on them the catch is if you have 2 x 750GB HDDs you only have 750 GB storage

If your using more then 2 HDDs RAID 5 is the best option
It destributes the data and parity evenly over all the drives so if you loss one just put another one in its spot you need to replace the drive quickly though to make sure that your data doesnt have any unneccasary risk
With RAID 5 if you have 3 x 750GB HDDs you have 1.5TB of storage if you have 4 x 750GB HDDs you have 2.25TB of storage
General rule is all hard drives are used but you loose the space of one of those for the parity

gali98
May 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
If you want raid later on buy a motherboard that supports raid out of the box
These will be with SATA (ATA-7) HDD's make sure theyre SATA 300 ones aswell theyll be alot faster

If your using two HDDs (identical ones) for RAID you can ether use RAID 0 or RAID 1
RAID 0 is used for speed but if one drive fails you loose all your data
RAID 1 is used for back up both drives have the same data on them the catch is if you have 2 x 750GB HDDs you only have 750 GB storage

If your using more then 2 HDDs RAID 5 is the best option
It destributes the data and parity evenly over all the drives so if you loss one just put another one in its spot you need to replace the drive quickly though to make sure that your data doesnt have any unneccasary risk
With RAID 5 if you have 3 x 750GB HDDs you have 1.5TB of storage if you have 4 x 750GB HDDs you have 2.25TB of storage
General rule is all hard drives are used but you loose the space of one of those for the parity

Thanks for the explanation..
Kory

mips
May 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Wow thanks man... This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I would seriously recommend going for more ram on that list, say 3-4GB instead of 1GB.

gali98
May 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I would seriously recommend going for more ram on that list, say 3-4GB instead of 1GB.

Did you read my first post? :)
I want to start out spending most of my money on unupgradeable things, i.e. processor, motherboard, graphics card. (yes I know you could upgrade all of these, but not without spending about 100 bucks or more.) So I will upgrade to more RAM as my cash flow allows.
Kory

mips
May 20th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Did you read my first post? :)
I want to start out spending most of my money on unupgradeable things, i.e. processor, motherboard, graphics card. (yes I know you could upgrade all of these, but not without spending about 100 bucks or more.) So I will upgrade to more RAM as my cash flow allows.
Kory

Yes, offcourse I did! ;)

I noticed in the newegg link that the total system price came in below your budget and you could probably buy another 2GB and still be within budget. Sometimes I try to hard :)

JohnSearle
May 20th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Instead of buying brand new components from Newegg or Outpost, look into grabbing used pieces... especially if your plan is not to buy the newest of the new.

I spent a summer or two piecing systems together from components I bought used, and then selling them as complete systems. I usually ended up saving over half the cost of the listed retail prices, and most of the components were in excellent condition. And if you still insist on buying brand new, you can still buy from individuals rather than companies, and save yourself a lot of cash. I bought my current notebook HD for close to half the retail, and it was NiB (New in Box) with the warranty.

If you're in the US check out:

hardforum.com
anandtech.com

They are trading forums which don't take a piece of your sale, and they are fairly secure as long as you trade with people who have a good rep. I've done 25+ fairly large trades, and not a single problem yet.

If you're interested in going this route, and in need of advice, then just PM me here or there :)

EDIT: Just did a quick search for the processor on those two forums, and came up with quite a few people selling them. The lowest I found was $180USD shipped, but that one was already sold. Next up from that was $190USD shipped, but I'm sure if you pointed out the other guys price, then the $190 guy would lower the price. People are generally competitive. If you searched longer, I'm sure you could come up with more results than my 5 minute check.

Links to the two people I was just talking about:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1307289&highlight=q6600
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1307642&highlight=q6600

Also keep in mind that through a retail outlet you're paying taxes and shipping on top of the price... After taxes the Newegg price comes to $238.xx (shipping is apparently free within US)... so you could save roughly $60USD on the processor alone.

- John

gali98
May 20th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Yes, offcourse I did! ;)

I noticed in the newegg link that the total system price came in below your budget and you could probably buy another 2GB and still be within budget. Sometimes I try to hard :)

True:)
I don't know..... I want good quality RAM that overclocks good. Plus I doubt I will even hit the 800 mark when I get paid in May.
@JohnSearle
hey thanks for the info. I will check it out.
I just kinda wince at buying used electronics though. Usually no warrenty (I haven't checked yet but I am just guessing) and I don't want to waste money on a defective part. But again thanks guys!
Kory

JohnSearle
May 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
True:)
I don't know..... I want good quality RAM that overclocks good. Plus I doubt I will even hit the 800 mark when I get paid in May.
@JohnSearle
hey thanks for the info. I will check it out.
I just kinda wince at buying used electronics though. Usually no warrenty (I haven't checked yet but I am just guessing) and I don't want to waste money on a defective part. But again thanks guys!
Kory

Understandable. Like I said, you can always make sure what you are buying is still covered under manufacturer's warranty. Just create a WTB thread, and state what you are looking for.

- John

uraldinho
May 20th, 2008, 07:17 PM
$800 is a decent amount in todays market. I haven't bought a desktop for a very long time, but from what I've seen $800 can get a very decent system.

I would imagine if you build the system yourself, you could save about $100, $50 for labour and $50 for MS tax. So realistically speaking, your specs would be comparable to a $900 desktop.

The last time I built a PC, I realised that I didn't really save much. I think the only money I saved was the MS tax.

JohnSearle
May 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
$800 is a decent amount in todays market. I haven't bought a desktop for a very long time, but from what I've seen $800 can get a very decent system.

I would imagine if you build the system yourself, you could save about $100, $50 for labour and $50 for MS tax. So realistically speaking, your specs would be comparable to a $900 desktop.

The last time I built a PC, I realised that I didn't really save much. I think the only money I saved was the MS tax.

A lot of the pre-builts are actually a lot cheaper than piecing it together from new retail components. If you find something on sale, and it's been mass produced, you can score quite a big savings.

- John

tamoneya
May 21st, 2008, 12:44 AM
Yes, offcourse I did! ;)

The price fell of the $800 goal because the harddrive that was on there was taken out of neweggs listings. Therefore it got automatically removed and then the price on the wishlist dropped.

tamoneya
May 21st, 2008, 12:46 AM
A lot of the pre-builts are actually a lot cheaper than piecing it together from new retail components. If you find something on sale, and it's been mass produced, you can score quite a big savings.

- John

I find that even if they are the same price or if the custom one is a little more expensive it is worth it to build it yourself because then you know exactly what everything is and you know exactly how everything is organized. I hate having a broken computer that has some funky proprietary junk in it that is hard to work with.

arsenic23
May 21st, 2008, 12:57 AM
800 dollars is actually a good bit of money for a new PC if you plan on building it yourself and know how to shop around.

I just put together an intel based Quadcore machine with 4 gigs of RAM and a TV tuner and I only spent about $600. I bought every part on sale over 4 months, but it was worth it.

Shop around :
www.newegg.com
www.mwave.com
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.frys.com

And if you know someone with a bussness license you can look around at places that sell specifically to them ( which is a great way to save some cash ).

tamoneya
May 21st, 2008, 01:25 AM
800 dollars is actually a good bit of money for a new PC if you plan on building it yourself and know how to shop around.

I just put together an intel based Quadcore machine with 4 gigs of RAM and a TV tuner and I only spent about $600. I bought every part on sale over 4 months, but it was worth it.

Shop around :
www.newegg.com
www.mwave.com
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.frys.com

And if you know someone with a bussness license you can look around at places that sell specifically to them ( which is a great way to save some cash ).
Can you post some more details on the computer. Im curious as to what parts you used specifically. I realize that you managed to keep it so low due to sales and such but I am still curious. I am trying to build a similar computer Q6600 for 500-600.

arsenic23
May 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM
Can you post some more details on the computer. Im curious as to what parts you used specifically. I realize that you managed to keep it so low due to sales and such but I am still curious. I am trying to build a similar computer Q6600 for 500-600.

It might be a little hard as some of my deals where under wholesale prices.

I managed to get my Q6600 for $189 at frys.com on sale.
I used a lower end Coolermaster (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119118) case.
I got my power supply discounted and wholesale for $50 ( this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171017) )
I got my motherboard wholesale ( this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059) )
Bought this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211188) ram set from Newegg.
I bought a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 MCE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116633) from Newegg.
I got 2 80gig Hatachi drives for almost nothing, and put 2 500gig drives I already had in it.
I also go my soundcard, ( an old Creative card ) for free as a deal.
Bought a cheapo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153) DVD burner from Newegg.
And I put a used 7800GT in there that I'll more then likely replace before next year.

But, I guess not alot of that is helpfull, since most of my best deals came from my local PC shop owing me a favor. Though I was surprised at Frys having the Q6600 that low, because at the time I bought it most places where still selling it for $240.

tamoneya
May 21st, 2008, 10:37 PM
It might be a little hard as some of my deals where under wholesale prices.

I managed to get my Q6600 for $189 at frys.com on sale.
I used a lower end Coolermaster (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119118) case.
I got my power supply discounted and wholesale for $50 ( this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171017) )
I got my motherboard wholesale ( this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059) )
Bought this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211188) ram set from Newegg.
I bought a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 MCE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116633) from Newegg.
I got 2 80gig Hatachi drives for almost nothing, and put 2 500gig drives I already had in it.
I also go my soundcard, ( an old Creative card ) for free as a deal.
Bought a cheapo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153) DVD burner from Newegg.
And I put a used 7800GT in there that I'll more then likely replace before next year.

But, I guess not alot of that is helpfull, since most of my best deals came from my local PC shop owing me a favor. Though I was surprised at Frys having the Q6600 that low, because at the time I bought it most places where still selling it for $240.
That power supply is a steal at $50.

gali98
May 27th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Guys I have some kinda bad news. On a Sunday add, I saw The HP tx2000z (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=series_detail&category=notebooks&series_name=tx2000z_series&jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20Pavilion%20tx2000z%20CTO%20Notebook%20PC&lang=en&cc=us) for $600 (which is a sweet deal.) Well I started looking at the laptop (which is also a tablet with a Wacom digitalizer with touch screen (you can use your finger and a wacom pen)) and saw this thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=708726) Which basically gets everything working with ubuntu and I caved and bought it. I'm sorry guys, cause I know you put some effort into helping me, but I will build one sooner or later, just not anytime in the near future. I especially want to thank tamoneya for his hard work in finding parts for me. You all show what a community is all about. Thanks!
Kory

tamoneya
May 28th, 2008, 12:10 AM
no hard feelings. Im sure you learned something and I actually ended up building two of themself so it wasnt a waste of time.

futileissue
June 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Well if more people still have more ideas, keep updating. I'm currently looking at building a system for a friend. Her budget is around $1k. Gaming is not her thing, but she does a lot of photo taking and editing (that's where quad-core and RAM are helpful).

Search engines are bad for things like "latest decent motherboards". I know how to navigate most components, but do other people have good Mobo suggestions?

SoloSalsa
June 6th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Search engines are bad for things like "latest decent motherboards". I know how to navigate most components, but do other people have good Mobo suggestions?
I cannot suggest anything particular, just a generalisation. If you do not find anything particularly good or special, a board with the brand of its processor is a fine choice. First party motherboards cost more than a good portion of third party boards, but they generally are of higher quality than more affordable options.

tamoneya
June 6th, 2008, 03:54 AM
here is my most recent build: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?Source=MSWD&WishListNumber=9466368

I would however recommend that you replace the water cooling system with somethink like a freezer 7 pro instead unless you have experience with water cooling. That puts you a little underbudget so I would add more harddrive space and make a raid or toss in a shiny monitor or printer or some other peripheral.

gali98
June 6th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I am typing this from the TX2000z with Vista. Tomorrow it will be Ubuntu! :)
Kory

gali98
June 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Here I am writing on the tx2000z with Ubuntu!!! (that was just installed 5 minutes ago.)
Just wanted to let you know.
Also member, Lord Xeb pmed with a good list that I thought I would share with you since I will not be able to use it. Here:
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=9240428&
Thanks Lord Xeb!!!!!!
I will now work on making everything work!!! Thanks everyone....
Kory

idontknowme
June 7th, 2008, 04:39 PM
If you want ot forgoe biulding all together and might be interested in a laptop i might have just the right model for you. The laptop i have is a ibuypower HEL-80. it comes with 2 gig's of ram ( DDR2 @ 667 mhz), 80 gid hd ( @ 7200 rpm), Nvidia geforce go 7600 256 mb dedicated vram (@ pci x16), intel core2 Duo T5200 ( @ 1.6 ghz x2, 3.2 ghz total), intel pro wireless abg, 15.4 in glass view lcd, fingerprint reader (it works in ubuntu!), 1.3 mp built-in webcam, and last but not least a dvd-cd burner combo. All for $ 749.00 !

The only thing i have done to this computer is put a lagrer hd in it. This computer will work with the following OS'es ( iave tried these my self and vouche they work): Fedora 8. ubuntu 7.10 (gusty) Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy), Belenix (the newest one out), and Open solaris 10, Windows vista (ultimate and priemum), and windows xp. Of course this computer will run a 64 bit os also.

So this comp is prety good for the money. I have enloyed it alot and hope this will help in finding you a new comp. :)

idontknowme

keiichidono
June 11th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Maybe this (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=3465033&postcount=212) will help you.