PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Can't Install KDE4

Bobbins069
May 7th, 2008, 09:56 PM
my sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop command is not working. It tells me that the packages can't be found. I am running on Hardy as well. Any suggestions?

smartboyathome
May 7th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Try reloading by running sudo apt-get update.

Bobbins069
May 7th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I tried that a bunch of times, still same error

c4v3m4n
May 7th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I didn't think KDE4 was done yet. Isn't it still in deveolopement? Most people i've seen with it go back to kde3 until it's done.

skyjacker
May 8th, 2008, 12:24 AM
my sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop command is not working. It tells me that the packages can't be found. I am running on Hardy as well. Any suggestions?Try this.... Go to and click on the kmenu icon. Choose "system,adept manager, and when it loads put in your password & search for kde4-core. Right click on the line for kde4-core and choose request install. Then click on "apply at the top. The program will then install. You will now have the choice to load kde3 or kde4 in the menu when you first log into kde (click on the icon in the lower right that looks like a page before you enter your password). Good luck. P.S. I have had kde3 since it came out. I tried kde4 and didn't like it because it still has bugs.

Zorael
May 8th, 2008, 01:02 AM
KDE 4.0.4 Released

KDE 4.0.4 has been released and packages are available for Kubuntu 8.04. They install to /usr/lib/kde4 and can be installed alongside your existing KDE 3.

Instructions:

The packages are in hardy-backports, available from Adept Manager when you choose Unsupported Updates from the Updates tab of Manage Repositories, kubuntu-kde4-desktop and do a full upgrade.

Thanks to nixternal and stdin for their help with these packages.
http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.4.php

Make sure you have said repository enabled.

edit: I'm actually not sure the new version is up yet, I can't find it on packages.ubuntu.com. I have it installed but apt-cache policy says it's the version from universe.

zorael@sunspire:~$ apt-cache policy kubuntu-kde4-desktop
kubuntu-kde4-desktop:
Installed: 0.14
Candidate: 0.14
Version table:
*** 0.14 0
500 http://se.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

stephenjbarr
May 8th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I went through the steps outlined on kubuntu.com (add the backports repository, use adept-manager, etc.) and I have kde4 installing as I type. Well, the packages are downloading anyway. Things seem to be going smoothly so far.

-stephen

Zorael
May 8th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Are you sure it's the 4.04 version? I mean, KDE4 has been available since day one of Hardy (well, likely day -n in the development process), just not the latest version.

Bobbins069
May 8th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I think I am just going to reinstall Kubuntu 7.10 then make sure i have all my repositories, then i will upgrade to 8.04 and work from there. Also is it still possible to install Gnome after you have kde4?

Xiong Chiamiov
May 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yes, you can have GNOME and KDE4, just as you can have KDE3.5 and KDE4 both installed. Running a

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

will allow you to choose which display manager is the default (for the login screen), and when logging in you can choose which *dm you'd prefer to use.