PDA

View Full Version : To those who state that Hardy is worse than Gutsy

Nano Geek
May 7th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I have seen many, many threads lately saying that Hardy is much more buggy than Gutsy, it is one of the worst Ubuntu releases, or something of this nature.

I ask those who think these things to take a look at this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=95439

As you can see, Dapper was originally seen as inferior to Breezy, but now would you really prefer to have Breezy or Dapper?
We just need to hang in there, and with our help the devs will be able to make this one solid release.

fatality_uk
May 7th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I have seen many, many threads lately saying that Hardy is much more buggy than Gutsy, it is one of the worst Ubuntu releases, or something of this nature.

I ask those who think these things to take a look at this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=95439

As you can see, Dapper was originally seen as inferior to Breezy, but now would you really prefer to have Breezy or Dapper?
We just need to hang in there, and with our help the devs will be able to make this one solid release.

Agreed. But I find it rock solid already. 1 happy bunny here :)

eragon100
May 7th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I don't have any problems with it yet. Some people also didn't have problems with vista when it was just released :lolflag:

Seriously, vista got better with SP1, I think hardy will get better with SP1 better known as 8.04.1 :)

mali2297
May 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM
When that thread was active, Dapper was still in early development. The official version was not released until June 2006.

Now, if someone complains about Intrepid...

fatality_uk
May 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM
When that thread was active, Dapper was still in early development. The official version was not released until June 2006.

Now, if someone complains about Intrepid...

Having just downloaded, Intrepid and quite frankly IT SUCKS. I mean, for one, there's no drivers for a direct spinal insert as in the Matrix, there's NO support for my Microsoft Surface box and trying to apply my "Vista" theme just crashes it.

I'm stopping off back to Hoary Hedgehog. Much more stable

Nano Geek
May 7th, 2008, 09:55 PM

Now, if someone complains about Intrepid...Well, there's also this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768119&page=4 and this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=653000 to prove my point with I'm sure many more.

Mateo
May 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I don't know about Breezy/Dapper, but Hardy is terrible in comparison to Gutsy. No significant feature upgrades, but tons more annoying bugs. The fact that Epiphany, which rarely crashed in Gutsy, now crashes all the time alone is reason to hate Hardy. But what can you do. Sure, it'll get better. Eventually it might even be as good as Gutsy. but what can you do. Unless you want to run old software, you have to upgrade.

Ozor Mox
May 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Unless you want to run old software, you have to upgrade.

I do think this is a problem. I'm having no major (unsolvable) issues with Hardy, but for those that are, many would probably much rather stick with Gutsy. And they could, except all the software is outdated. There's the option of compiling, but it took me many months with Linux before I actually gave it a try, and I'm sure many others are the same. What would happen if someone enabled the Hardy repositories in Gutsy to install newer software, would it implode? Surely it is just debs after all?

Therion
May 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I've always kind of assumed, for the foreseeable future at least, that every release is going to work out better for some and worse for others.

Mateo
May 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I do think this is a problem. I'm having no major (unsolvable) issues with Hardy, but for those that are, many would probably much rather stick with Gutsy. And they could, except all the software is outdated. There's the option of compiling, but it took me many months with Linux before I actually gave it a try, and I'm sure many others are the same. What would happen if someone enabled the Hardy repositories in Gutsy to install newer software, would it implode? Surely it is just debs after all?

If you upgrade all of your software to Hardy, you are running Hardy.

aysiu
May 7th, 2008, 11:03 PM
People thinking ______ is the worst Ubuntu release ever or worse than the release before are either one or both of the following: users who happened to have good luck with one release and bad luck with another; users who forget that every release there are users complaining that ____ is the worst Ubuntu release ever.

No release is, has been, or ever will be perfect.

We can get the releases close to perfect, though, by having the primary means by which people use Ubuntu be through Ubuntu-preinstalled systems.

RiceMonster
May 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hardy works better on my hardware than Gutsy, so I'm happy. Gutsy didn't atomically configure my soundcard, whereas Hardy does, and now I can use compiz fusion with my intel 965 graphics, whereas it was blacklisted in Gutsy. The brightness adjustment for my monitor behaves a little odd, but it doesn't bother me. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1520 (which did not have Ubuntu pre installed).

Mateo
May 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM
^^ Not every issue is hardware related.

intense.ego
May 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I've always kind of assumed, for the foreseeable future at least, that every release is going to work out better for some and worse for others.

QFE, Feisty worked perfectly right from the start with me, Gutsy did not. For some, it was the other way around.

When I upgraded from my super-stable Feisty to Gutsy, it was very unstable, and that was a few months after Gutsy was released. I took some time to configure it properly and now everything is as stable as it was with Feisty but I also get all the new features. I haven't installed Hardy yet, but I'm sure the case will be the same.

Mateo
May 7th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Feisty was my best release. Almost everything worked good for that. Gutsy was ok, but not as good. Hardy is by far the worst though. Even worse than Dapper (first version I used).

hessiess
May 7th, 2008, 11:20 PM
hardy Is good, exept for problems with LAN internet and shutting down.

Tom Mann
May 7th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Having just downloaded, Intrepid and quite frankly IT SUCKS. I mean, for one, there's no drivers for a direct spinal insert as in the Matrix...

Worked for me :)

Cir
May 13th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Personally, I found Feisty pretty much the most stable straight on install. It was also the quickest one (IMO).

Both Gutsy and Hardy have required more tinkering to get things "just right". But personally I think I had more trouble with Gutsy than with Hardy. Of course, this may also have something to do with my own increasing experience.

Thus far I've been quite satisfied with Hardy. Biggest problems thus far have been with the automated xorg.conf -tools, WLAN (as always, still haven't quite figured out the BCM drivers) and my own laptop dual screen rigging (which took a while to set up in Gutsy too).

inportb
May 13th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Having just downloaded, Intrepid and quite frankly IT SUCKS. I mean, for one, there's no drivers for a direct spinal insert as in the Matrix

Sounds like a networking issue. Ubuntu does have the drivers, but do you? Do a fresh build of the interface module, modprobe it into your cerebrum, and reboot yourself.

If it still doesn't work, try booting yourself while plugged in. Because quite simply put, it works for me.

HangukMiguk
May 13th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I honestly expect Hardy to be better in the next month or so. But when it started crashing my entire system, when I had never had that happen in Gutsy, I just had to switch back.

My problem is not the fact that Hardy is buggy. Any release will have minor bugs that still need to be worked out. My problem with Hardy is the amount of obvious, major bugs that were/are still there, and it was still marked as a STABLE release. IMO, the release date should've been pushed back while they fixed the bugs that were causing major problems. Honestly, I don't think anyone would've minded seeing the deadline pushed back.

It makes you wonder what priority everything is in Ubuntu: usability or deadlines.

inportb
May 13th, 2008, 03:05 AM
It makes you wonder what priority everything is in Ubuntu: usability or deadlines.

Really, now? My teachers never did accept the quality/deadline excuse for late assignments.:mad:

rab4567
May 13th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I think it all depends on the hardware, there are so many combinations of video card chipsets and drivers and to say the least of all the old stuff out there its just boggles the mind. For example my computer crashed constantly using flash in gutsy but rarely in hardy, and I'm using firefox 2 go figure. Its been my experience that each distribution gets really good just before the new one comes out. I'll have some hard choices to make when ibex comes.

cardinals_fan
May 13th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I haven't been really taken with an Ubuntu release since Edgy. But that's because of my liking for minimal systems. Every release will have bugs for certain people - you just hear about it more with Hardy because there are more people using Ubuntu now. If, say, 40% (just throwing the number out there) of people have significant problems with each new release, as more people use Ubuntu there will be more complaints. Simple as that.

thedevnull
May 13th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I have to AGREE with you on this one! The Ubuntu team deserves a big thanks from us all for their good work. Lets face its impossible to have software without bugs, vulnerabilities and other issues.

Ubuntu rocks and I love it imperfections and all.

:guitar:

For those of you that want to be productive with your angst on bugs you see, write a patch, file bug reports, support the users, become a documenter or just send a donation into the project. Don't just complain and whine about things but find a productive outlet!!

Long live Ubuntu!!!

chris4585
May 13th, 2008, 05:37 AM
I honestly expect Hardy to be better in the next month or so. But when it started crashing my entire system, when I had never had that happen in Gutsy, I just had to switch back.

My problem is not the fact that Hardy is buggy. Any release will have minor bugs that still need to be worked out. My problem with Hardy is the amount of obvious, major bugs that were/are still there, and it was still marked as a STABLE release. IMO, the release date should've been pushed back while they fixed the bugs that were causing major problems. Honestly, I don't think anyone would've minded seeing the deadline pushed back.

I agree with you 100%, makes me mad almost. I'm sticking to Gutsy for my desktop until they make something that does work right. No offense but why does hardy have to be so drastically different???!! Just make it better not different, take as long as possible please.

My problems were most everything that worked perfect in gutsy just did not in hardy. This shouldn't happen, should it?

Iandefor
May 13th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Everybody's going to have their own opinion.

I, personally, am less pleased with certain aspects of it (occasionally getting a white screen on login, only one application can use sound at a time, pulseaudio be damned, any logged-in session becoming slower and more CPU-intensive over a few days until the whole system comes grinding to a halt), but it's a definite improvement over Gutsy and I'm hoping that the 8.04.x releases will bring more improvements.

It makes you wonder what priority everything is in Ubuntu: usability or deadlines.A lot of people complained loudly when Dapper was pushed back a few weeks. I'm glad that there was a lot less hand-wringing this time around about whether or not the LTS was perfect and the Ubuntu project was willing to just push out a Stable and say "it's not perfect, but that's what point releases are for."

NJBilly
June 14th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I registered just now to post regarding this topic, although I have accounts throughout the Ubuntu community, I never took the time to register on the Ubuntu site I use much more than any other. So here I am.

Anyway, I think the answer to this topic can be summed up in 4 words:

"Beggars can't be choosers".

How much did you pay for your Ubuntu distro? I'll go out on a limb and say that at least 99% of Ubuntu users have contributed absolutely nothing to the project at all. Meaning money, [official] bug reports, patches, etc.

Excuse me if I'm incorrect, but UbuntuForums is for questions, help, advice, tips, etc., etc. The point is, reporting a bug on here is pretty pointless.

So short of doing the unthinkable by going back to Windows or OS X, why not take 5 minutes and go over to Launchpad and register an Official bug report on Hardy so the developers, who work their asses off for free to please you, can fix the issue.

I had a hell of a time getting Gutsy to work properly on my PC (my first permanent Linux machine), but figuring it out, solving the problems, etc. is, oddly, one of the things I like about the whole Linux thing - don't ask me to explain. I will say one thing about it, thank god for UbuntuForums, which, by the way, was also free.

You fell in love with Ubuntu for a reason - it's the best distro available. Contribute and keep it that way.

Ubuntu is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Dammit.

NikoC
June 14th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Been running HH rock solid since release date, no problems here... same went for gutsy! So no problems with either release in my case!