PDA

View Full Version : i want Ubuntu's future looks to be...

madjr
May 7th, 2008, 08:56 PM
choose your style!

ok this is mostly for the wallpapers

the current one has an artistic style and looks very nice.

but some prefer futuristic or nature.

what style should future versions of ubuntu use ?

should it have it's own style or copy the style of others to look l33t?

or maybe you don't care as long as it looks good?

Kingsley
May 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Huh?

NightwishFan
May 7th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I would like a more Ubuntu-ish Kubuntu theme, but its ok like it is. For Ubuntu perhaps a little more brown would be nice especially with something like the elephant wallpaper or the gutsy one.

SuperSon!c
May 7th, 2008, 09:24 PM
wow, got some "awesome" polls being tossed at the community. did you even give this any thought?

-gabe-noob-
May 7th, 2008, 10:14 PM
If the walpapers looked like my wallpapers I'd be estatic :D

gn2
May 7th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Who cares, most people will change it from the default look anyway.

NightwishFan
May 7th, 2008, 11:27 PM
The default look makes an impression though.

madjr
May 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM
The default look makes an impression though.

yes, it does.

example of that is the leopard wallpaper and theme are selling points and Apple knows that.

mostly anything right now sells solely on it's presentation or how it looks.

acelin
May 8th, 2008, 12:08 AM
yes, it does.

example of that is the leopard wallpaper and theme are selling points and Apple knows that.

Hmm I agree. We need a new look...

Tundro Walker
May 8th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I didn't vote. And the reason I didn't vote is because I think too many folks focus on the superficial 10% of icing that makes up Ubuntu (Compiz, graphics, icons, wallpapers, themes, etc) rather than the underlying "cake".

I really could care less what the next version looks like (although I'm pretty sure it will look good, since there's a lot of creative artists involved). However, what I do care about is better core functionality, optimized code, replacing obsolete packages with newer/upgraded ones (same with fundamental code used in the system). There's tons of work to do to make the foundation & architecture better, but it seems lots of folks are fixated on what color to paint the house.

madjr
May 8th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I didn't vote. And the reason I didn't vote is because I think too many folks focus on the superficial 10% of icing that makes up Ubuntu (Compiz, graphics, icons, wallpapers, themes, etc) rather than the underlying "cake".

I really could care less what the next version looks like (although I'm pretty sure it will look good, since there's a lot of creative artists involved). However, what I do care about is better core functionality, optimized code, replacing obsolete packages with newer/upgraded ones (same with fundamental code used in the system). There's tons of work to do to make the foundation & architecture better, but it seems lots of folks are fixated on what color to paint the house.

many think is already time to paint the house. They having been asking it for years now.

Humans are visual beings and use our eyes for everything.

An interface that Looks good is not just superficial, it's also an accessibility improvement

Additionally, it encourages new users to test drive the product

Even people who are afraid of the command line can make it a playground with just some little eye candy.

http://www.ubuntu-es.org/files/pictures/picture-31746.png
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786318

eye candy makes it easier on the brain to jump to something new and leave the old.

who would you French kiss? an "integral" 70 year old grandma...err woman or the 20 year old cute but shallow Blond with a rocking body and a tight a** (well u get the idea)?

Linux depends on it being advertised specially by mouth to mouth, so opinions about Linux matter more than for any other OS

duckgoesoink
May 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
yes, it does.

Hmm, I think its Apple's beautiful machines which are doing the selling rather than their wallpaper and theme. If the OS itself looked like Windows, new buyers would still be happy (except current users perhaps - they're used to the OSX way).

People often buy Apple computers because they're cool. :-)

gn2
May 8th, 2008, 09:00 AM
eye candy makes it easier on the brain to jump to something new and leave the old.

What you forget is that one person's idea of "eye candy" is someone else's distracting annoyance.

You can't please all the people all the time, what has visual appeal is not universal.

sujoy
May 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM

+1