PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu a cult?

tbrminsanity
May 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
A friend (die hard Mandrake user) and I have an on going argument about Ubuntu, and his only knock against Ubuntu is in his words "Ubuntu is a cult". Personally I think of Ubuntu as more of a community with a very powerful word of mouth advertising campaign (not hard to do when the OS is awesome).

Edit:
Removed offensive language (sorry)

forrestcupp
May 7th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I think the Free Software movement is more of a cult than Ubuntu. Some people almost make it into a religion.

swoll1980
May 7th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I think the Free Software movement is more of a cult than Ubuntu. Some people almost make it into a religion.

The Free Software movement imo is with out doubt a 100% cult, and RMS is there God

Tuxoid
May 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Ubuntu has simply facilitated FOSS software elegantly for the end desktop. Mandriva could have facilitated the end-user desktop, but it didn't facilitate community to the best of it's ability. When you facilitate community, mind-share is possible.

Some may feel that mind-share is an inaccurate measure of popularity, but if you look at very techie-niche distros, they rarely brag about being 'the end-desktop' for Linux. In the Ubuntu community, we know we can brag, because with making the end-desktop, we're determined to get there. We have already gotten somewhere in some capacity being, most likely, the most adopted Linux distro.

We are in every right allowed to brag (in a certain capacity). Although I don't believe fanboyism is the best showing of the competency of the distro.

aysiu
May 7th, 2008, 09:09 PM
If I can leave without worrying about being killed or silenced, I think it's probably not a cult, but I voted the last option just because it was funny.

kirsis
May 7th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I'll just mention that having an option such as

"I don't think it is"

in a poll that also has the option

"It is"

gives off the wrong vibe (the wording). The connotation here is that the people who choose the first option (presented as opinion) are 'wrong' and that the other option (presented as fact) is right.

Having said that, no, Ubuntu is not a cult any more than any other distribution. The free software movement is a cult though.

Nano Geek
May 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Sure we're a cult. We even have a social pyramid system.

First there's us low class users who bug the upper-classes with our problems.

Second there's the forum staff who try to keep us low-life users in line.

Third are the wise developers who with their wisdom try to please our selfishness.

And finally, there's Mark Shuttleworth.

:guitar:

imT
May 7th, 2008, 09:21 PM
if freedom is a cult i wish to be part of that, ubuntu on the other hand is just a GNU/Linux distro with a wonderful forum.

SuperSon!c
May 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM
a cult? tell your friend he's on crack.

SirThom
May 7th, 2008, 09:25 PM
It's a strong community that could be jokingly called a cult. Sort of like Macintosh or Star Trek fans.

SirThom
May 7th, 2008, 09:28 PM
If I can leave without worrying about being killed or silenced, I think it's probably not a cult, but I voted the last option just because it was funny.

Good point. Or without feeling an emotional obligation to stay either.

I actually have very real first-had experience with cults.

smoker
May 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM
if it is, do we get hooded robes from shipit?

**won't say anything about 'maidens' and altars!**

:-)

thisiam
May 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't call it a cult as we don't have a ubuntu church, yet. although the forums are addicting.
I'm at work right now and i really should be doing something more productive but thats not going to happen. hahaha

SuperSon!c
May 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM
It's a strong community that could be jokingly called a cult. Sort of like Macintosh or Star Trek fans.

except that they got into an argument over it = no joke.

ubuntu-freak
May 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM
A friend (die hard Mandrake user) and I have an on going argument about Ubuntu, and his only knock against Ubuntu is in his words "Ubuntu is a cult". Personally I think of Ubuntu as more of a community with a very powerful word of mouth advertising campaign (not hard to do when the OS <snip>).

Your friend seems to be a silly cult. Oops I mean.... ;-)

Nathan

-gabe-noob-
May 7th, 2008, 09:56 PM
May the Ubu father and mother grace you young one

(lol reminds me of dark brother hood in oblivion)

sloggerkhan
May 7th, 2008, 10:05 PM
The Ubuntu is mother... The Ubuntu is father...

I'm not sure I'd relate Ubuntu to psicore so far as cults go... I'm not even sure I consider psicore a cult in the traditional sense.

tbrminsanity
May 7th, 2008, 10:15 PM

Funny thing is my friend is an avid FSF member.

k99goran
May 7th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Any cult worth its title must be able to assert some level of control over its subjects. Kind of difficult to do that over a message board.

tbrminsanity
May 7th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure I'd relate Ubuntu to psicore so far as cults go... I'm not even sure I consider psicore a cult in the traditional sense.

So that is where that came from. I got the quote from Munchkin D20. Kamikaze Kobalt ("The Kobalt is mother... the Kobalt is father...")

bigbrovar
May 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
How can something that strive on openness be a cult .. cults are closed social groups made up of fanatics.and which the outside word has little or no knowledge of what goes on inside .. Ubuntu on the other hand is open and free and friendly ..u dont have to sell ur soul to any EULA just to use Ubuntu..

Icehuck
May 7th, 2008, 10:35 PM
How can something that strive on openness be a cult .. cults are closed social groups made up of fanatics.and which the outside word has little or no knowledge of what goes on inside ..

Honestly, there are a lot of Linux distributions/communities just like that.

Koori23
May 7th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I'll agree with that if you'll tell me how on earth you remember your username..

Sure we're a cult. We even have a social pyramid system.

First there's us low class users who bug the upper-classes with our problems.

Second there's the forum staff who try to keep us low-life users in line.

Third are the wise developers who with their wisdom try to please our selfishness.

And finally, there's Mark Shuttleworth.

:guitar:

Nano Geek
May 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'll agree with that if you'll tell me how on earth you remember your username..Easy: Firefox password manager. :)

koenn
May 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I think it's quite usual for members of a cult to deny that the thing they're member of is actually a cult. The poll is at 51% No/Definitely No now. :-)

It would very much depend on how you define "cult", of course, but I'd say there are some few cult like characteristics : adoration/fanboyism, a strong sense of identification (see posts of people that take any critisism of anything Ubuntu as a personal offense), the "we" against the "evil" oustide world (in turns : Microsoft, an other distro that got more popular on distrowatch, FSF, ...), the disdain for the "sheep" that are using Windows in contrast to "we who have seen the light", the need to enlighten others to the one true way ...

RiceMonster
May 7th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I voted the last option because it was funny. I also agree about FSF being a cult, and I actually think FSF is rather ridiculous. Don't they think there's much more important issues out there, such as poverty, than freedom for computer users?

NightwishFan
May 7th, 2008, 11:34 PM
This is a cult. OBEY ME.

Nxion
May 7th, 2008, 11:36 PM
No .. OBEY ME! :lolflag:

vexorian
May 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Honestly, there are a lot of Linux distributions/communities just like that.
Honestly, you don't know what you are talking about.

The Free Software movement imo is with out doubt a 100% cult, and RMS is there God
I've seen this unjustified smear in the past, and have always been wondering why would anyone fall as low as getting to the point in which this form of smear is used. My conclusion was that people who insist on doing so feel threatened somehow by free software's ideal. Something that really makes no sense to me.

miwaypet
May 8th, 2008, 12:08 AM
May the Ubuntu be with you.

The highway to freedom is now open for everyone. Many are called, but few are chosen, for the way is narrow and the bugs are many, and few they are who persevere unto the end.

(from the Holy Ubuntu, Book of Mark, ch.8, v04)

RiceMonster
May 8th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I've seen this unjustified smear in the past, and have always been wondering why would anyone fall as low as getting to the point in which this form of smear is used. My conclusion was that people who insist on doing so feel threatened somehow by free software's ideal. Something that really makes no sense to me.

I actually agree with a lot of what RMS has to say, but I just don't see why it should be seen as such an issue. There's more important world issue to worry about.

koenn
May 8th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I actually agree with a lot of what RMS has to say, but I just don't see why it should be seen as such an issue. There's more important world issue to worry about.
Software (creation, distribition, ...) is something RMS feels/is competent in. Se he decided that if he's gonna strive for something, it better be in a field he's competent in and can actively contribute to, rather than a field he knows nothing about. It doesn't mean he thinks other problems/world issues are less important or deserve less attention. He just expects other people (who are more competent in those fields) to work on them.
You can find words to that effect in rms's writings/interviews.

Xzallion
May 8th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Ubuntu is not a cult.

Ubuntu is a product shipped by the company known as Canonical. Ubuntu does not meet any definition of a cult, and neither does its marketing tactics.

A cult is a religion where once you join you can no longer leave without harsh consequences. Once your in, your in for life. The cult goes after your family, friends, and tries to control all aspects of your life, turning you into what they want, and not allowing differing views or personal opinion.

The Free Software Movement is a philosophy, not a religion. This means the Free Software Movement is not a cult. Some followers of this mindset apply cult like aspects, but it still isn't a cult.

I live in Missouri, USA. We unfortunately have had a lot of small cults over the years, and then theres the ones in Texas just south of here. I'm familiar with the way they work, and while I won't claim to be an expert, I do have some experience with them.

original_jamingrit
May 8th, 2008, 01:19 AM
you could argue that copyrighted software users make up a cult.

Ubuntu's just a distro, an operating system like any other. There might be an excess of fanboy/girl-ism around here, but oh well.

Didn't vote.

Flying caveman
May 8th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Whenever I see a stupid poll, I pick the stupidest answer.

schtufbox
May 8th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Speaking of cults, I recieved a survey in the post from the 'church' of scientology. I just filled it in with a bogus name and address, crossed out the word Church and wrote Cult instead, then posted it back to them.

After all, they aren't a recognised religion here in the UK, we had more sense..so a cult they are..just informing them of the truth.

As for Ubuntu..yes, yes, of course it's a cult!!!!! :D

Kingsley
May 8th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Whenever I see a stupid poll, I pick the stupidest answer.
I think I'll do that from now on. :)

vexorian
May 8th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I actually agree with a lot of what RMS has to say, but I just don't see why it should be seen as such an issue. There's more important world issue to worry about.You may be right.

I think it is not much of an issue in the short term, but proprietary stuff is known to come back and byte you eventually.

I just wanted to say... it is fun that the free software movement is blamed to be a cult or a bunch of religious fanatics, when the people that are fine with proprietary stuff seem to be actually the ones which keep blind faith on certain things, I wish I could have such supernatural faith on certain corporations that distribute proprietary software and believe so hard that they are harmless and will stay harmless forever.

SirThom
May 8th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Honestly, you don't know what you are talking about.

well I know SOMEBODY who is in a cult. A bit sensitive, are we?

tbroderick
May 8th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Ubuntu does not meet any definition of a cult, and neither does its marketing tactics.

That's not true. Cult means more then a religious group. It's also used in reference to devoted attachment to something.

SirThom
May 8th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Speaking of cults, I recieved a survey in the post from the 'church' of scientology. I just filled it in with a bogus name and address, crossed out the word Church and wrote Cult instead, then posted it back to them.

After all, they aren't a recognised religion here in the UK, we had more sense..so a cult they are..just informing them of the truth.

As for Ubuntu..yes, yes, of course it's a cult!!!!! :D

Put down information for somebody that you dislike.

Also, fill out magazine subscription cards for them and tic the box that says 'bill me.'

Make them really embarrassing and use their work address.

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolf lag:

Metaleks
May 8th, 2008, 02:15 AM
More than half of the replies in this thread are blasphemous. Ubuntu is mother to us all.

mmb1
May 8th, 2008, 02:31 AM
You use "cult" like its such a bad word. haha.

schtufbox
May 8th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Put down information for somebody that you dislike.

Also, fill out magazine subscription cards for them and tic the box that says 'bill me.'

Make them really embarrassing and use their work address.

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolf lag:
I have to admit, I WAS tempted.

LaRoza
May 8th, 2008, 03:10 AM
A friend (die hard Mandrake user) and I have an on going argument about Ubuntu, and his only knock against Ubuntu is in his words "Ubuntu is a cult". Personally I think of Ubuntu as more of a community with a very powerful word of mouth advertising campaign (not hard to do when the OS is awesome).

I knew someone with a negative opinion of Ubuntu as well. He was entirely new to Linux, and was reading before chosing a distro. Somehow, he got this weird image of Ubuntu, and this very "1337" opinion on Debian. I like Debian, but he was a new user with a new laptop as the computer to get Linux. I had nothing against Debian in this matter, but I did try to emphasize that Ubuntu was probably a better choice for the laptop for technical reasons (he was going with Debian stable). He said a few minor offensive things and was somewhat demeaning, as if I cared what someone with less knowledge said!

In the end, he was praising Ubuntu and recognized I was right. Debian wouldn't have worked on his computer anyway he later found out.

As for being a cult, I can say yes we are. Everyone will be assimilated, and contrary to what was said on this thread, betrayers are usually "disposed" after a set amount of time away from Ubuntu usage.

eljoeb
May 8th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I voted that it's a cult, though I really don't think so. I can see where they're coming from though.

It isn't a cult, it just has a huge number of very vocal fanboys. At times the average age of the user affects this as well. Certain parts of the community seem more like personality cults, I could understand that usage. But cult? Nah...

tbrminsanity
May 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
The funny thing is that I suggest that he try the LiveCD and he would have none of it, but he instantly was interested in my opinion when I said I used the Mandriva LiveCD.

Saint Angeles
May 8th, 2008, 08:17 PM
ummm a cult = a group of people

christianity is a cult, gangs are cults... so yes, this community is a cult just as any other is.

i think you mean pseudo-religious cult?

Steel Lord
May 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Absolutely.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Ubuntu R'linux wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Ubuntu fhtagn!

solitaire
May 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Is Ubuntu a cult...

NO!

Now go away and stop interupting my ritual scarafice of a vestil virgin to the almighty Ubuntu!

:D:D

LaRoza
May 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Absolutely.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Ubuntu R'linux wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Ubuntu fhtagn!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Now go away and stop interupting my ritual scarafice of a vestil virgin to the almighty Ubuntu!

:D:D

I don't think you know what a vestal virgin was. They were priest(ess)es.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestal_Virgin

(I won't even touch on "scarafice", is it like "Scarface" and "sacrifice"?

solitaire
May 8th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Damm spell checker!!
it's the work of the evil Microsoft! i tell ya!!

And Vestil Virgins IS correct in this contect :P

Sacrifice to the Ubuntu of a symbol of an evil pagan cult :P lol

NightwishFan
May 8th, 2008, 09:04 PM
LaRoza that was mean. :lolflag:

Moolaraam soolaraam, moolaraam soolaraam.

justin whitaker
May 8th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Explain that to Rav Tux.

Just saying. :)