PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Epson Stylus Photo 1200 not working

JayDeeAye
May 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
:confused:
When I use Kubuntu from the live CD the printer (both actually as I also have an Epson Stylus Photo R360) seems to function perfectly. Having installed 8.04 on a seperate hard drive and found that it seems to work as expected (not that I've tried everything yet, you understand), I find the following - this is a copy and paste from a recent e-mail to a friend
<
I think I think that I've established that the OS is perfectly capable of finding a printer. I proved this by removing the printer from the System Settings, closing Kubuntu down and unplugging the printer from its USB port then restarting. Sure enough and as expected, no printers (real ones that is) found. I then plugged the USB cable back in and the printer was found and identified within a few seconds.
So the computer sees the printer.

In the Properties on the dialog box for the printer I can set the required paper size etc. and this is reflected on the printer configuration page in System Settings.
So the printer sees the computer.
Having set it up how I want it, I hit the print button. The job is transferred to the job sheet and processed - and nothing else happens.
So the document is not being sent to the printer.
>
The job, indeed all jobs, remain in the job list but don't print.
As I indicated at the beginning.....:confused:

I hope somebody out there can help.
By the way in Linux terms I really AM an absolute beginner, so please don't ask me difficult questions.:)

Thanks (in anticipation)

John

candtalan
May 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Hi John!
Congratulations on using K/Ubuntu!

I recall (from other contact) that when you first installed kubuntu 8.04 as dual boot, both the printers worked ok (?)
Then, I think you said you used XP by rebooting and when you next tried kubuntu, the printers were not printing?

Printing works ok with the live CD but not (now) with your installed system. I wonder if somehow, a setting file has got screwed up (I do not know where though).

Anyone know where to look please?

JayDeeAye
May 8th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Hello Alan,
Yes, I do think that that is what happened. There is definitely some behind the scenes conflict going on with the printers (particularly the R360) between XP and Kubuntu. I needed to 'remind' XP about the R360 today - sorry, not a very professional terminology, but I didn't need to re;oad the driver or anything like that, although it may have been 'refreshed' (as it were).

John

stchman
May 8th, 2008, 11:34 PM
:confused:
When I use Kubuntu from the live CD the printer (both actually as I also have an Epson Stylus Photo R360) seems to function perfectly. Having installed 8.04 on a seperate hard drive and found that it seems to work as expected (not that I've tried everything yet, you understand), I find the following - this is a copy and paste from a recent e-mail to a friend
<
I think I think that I've established that the OS is perfectly capable of finding a printer. I proved this by removing the printer from the System Settings, closing Kubuntu down and unplugging the printer from its USB port then restarting. Sure enough and as expected, no printers (real ones that is) found. I then plugged the USB cable back in and the printer was found and identified within a few seconds.
So the computer sees the printer.

In the Properties on the dialog box for the printer I can set the required paper size etc. and this is reflected on the printer configuration page in System Settings.
So the printer sees the computer.
Having set it up how I want it, I hit the print button. The job is transferred to the job sheet and processed - and nothing else happens.
So the document is not being sent to the printer.
>
The job, indeed all jobs, remain in the job list but don't print.
As I indicated at the beginning.....:confused:

I hope somebody out there can help.
By the way in Linux terms I really AM an absolute beginner, so please don't ask me difficult questions.:)

Thanks (in anticipation)

John

According to www.linuxprinting.org that printer works perfectly.

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Photo_1200

JayDeeAye
May 9th, 2008, 09:29 AM
According to www.linuxprinting.org that printer works perfectly.

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Photo_1200

Thanks for responding.
I was very happy with the way the printer worked whilst running off the live disc.
It's only now that I'm running from the installed setup that the printer won't do the jobs.

:(Not so happy with the listing for my R360 - a "paperweight"??:( Damn!

candtalan
May 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM
The printer *does* or work perfectly - even from a live CD! and did work perfectly from an install, but: it was only after some event happened after reboot into xp that things went screwed.

So - while trying to avoid a complete re install of the OS for the sake of getting the printer configuration files cleaned out - what can be done to force a clean printer config start here?

tia