PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printer (Canon S800) console?

H.Callahan
May 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I am not even sure this is a question that I should be asking as Canon appears to not supply any Linux drivers for its printers -- but I will forge ahead anyway.

I have a Canon S800 printer hooked up to my 7.10 install. The printer works fine and I can even print to it from other (Windows) machines on the network. However, one problem that has come up is that the printer driver, under Windows, has a console that allows you to look at the status of the printer and tells you things like low ink levels in the cartridges. I don't see anything like that in Ubuntu. Is that something that I should be pursuing a solution to, or is that just life with a non-manufacturer supported printer on Linux?

GoCool
May 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
... I don't see anything like that in Ubuntu. Is that something that I should be pursuing a solution to, or is that just life with a non-manufacturer supported printer on Linux?

Yep, you are out of luck. I would still recommend trying the closeset varient of canon drivers available for linux. You never know. And if it doest work, you can just uninstall it. It's not like windows where it leaves orphan registry entries or so in linux.

H.Callahan
May 7th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Piffle!

Well, I guess I can always drag down a Windows laptop and hook it up momentarily to check on ink levels...

Thanks!