PDA

View Full Version : Is FreeBSD for me?

bakechad
May 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I am currently running Ubuntu 7.10, it was working great for about 3 months. Now I am experiencing complete system lockups. I have 10+ years Linux server experience, but this is my first desktop. I have gone through all the standard troubleshooting, tested hardware, explored forums, etc. with no resolution. 8.04 looks like a train wreck, I don’t even want to try it.

I want something rock solid stable, which is why I am considering FreeBSD. I was hoping to solicit some opinions on whether or not my hardware and applications will work well with Freebsd or if I should consider something else.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M2A-VM AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
DVD: ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) X 2 (4GB total)
Video: EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Peripherals:
HP Laserjet 1012
Canon Canoscan LIDE 25 USB scanner
Wacom USB tablet

Applications (In the order of importance):
Firefox
Openoffice 2.4
Scan2pdf
Gimp
Oolite
Celestia
Flightgear
Gramps
Promash (homebrewing software) via Wine

Thanks

Chad

Iandefor
May 9th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I couldn't tell you about the peripherals (you should be able to get a sense by googling for the device name with "freebsd"), but I get the impression that most of the stuff in your box should be fine.

Firefox, OO.o, and GIMP I use on my FreeBSD install on a regular basis; the rest seem to be available at the least through ports (and my experience with FreeBSD binary packages is that if it's in ports it's probably available as a binary package). You can nose around the ports repository here (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi).