PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble with Nvidia Accelerated Graphics Driver

Great Blue Heron
May 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Hi,

I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64 as dual boot with Windows XP. I am new to linux.

My problem is with the Nvidia Accelerated Graphics Driver that is under Hardware Drivers. I selected the check mark to enable the driver. It installed itself and then said I needed to restart my computer. When the computer restarted, the screen when blank after the Ubuntu flash screen. I could here the drums playing in the background but I could not see anything.

I booted into Widows XP and did a Google search and found that I need to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and then type in:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

That worked and I was able to see the Ubuntu login screen and log in successfully. Under Hardwar Drivers it shows that the Nvidia Accelerated Graphics Driver is not selected.

I have dual monitors that I would like to set to Span Mode and I would also like to enable Visual Effects. I don't know where to go from here. Please Help!

System Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe Wifi
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
Video Card: Nvidia EVGA 8800 GT Superclocked
Hard Drive: 500 GB Samsung
RAM: 4 GB

philinux
May 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
If the default install failed then I'd use envy.

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Great Blue Heron
May 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Philinux,

No luck. I let EnvyNG automatically select the driver and it did the same as before. The screen went blank right after the Ubuntu splash screen.

I looked at the instructions in the FAQ to get back to open source drivers. I had to press Crtl+Alt+F1 and type in:
envyng --uninstall-all

Now I'm back to where I was before.

Got anymore ideas?

philinux
May 7th, 2008, 08:17 PM
What have you got under system>admin>Hardware Drivers

Great Blue Heron
May 8th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hey Phil,

I attached a screenshot of Hardware Drivers.