PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Guidance on Upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy

jojothehobo
May 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Hi:
I'm presently very happy using Ubuntu 7.1. I installed it on a system that formerly had Windows XP SP2 installed. I've installed a bunch of additional programs using Synaptic and the repositories and they all worked well. The System couldn't get the components for a couple of them so it held them back so I wouldn't have a problem. Thanks System. Automatic updates works great. I have about 12GB installed on an 80GB hard drive, so no problems. The Mythbuntu system works better than it's Windows counterpart. I was an experienced Windows user and now am using Ubuntu more than Windows. So what is my problem?

My automatic update function keeps asking me if I would like to install Ubuntu 8- Hardy Heron. I'm tempted but scared in the sense of fixing something that isn't broken. I read some horror stories on the forum but realize that, while the comments are significant, the feedback in the media is positive and that, statistically, most users that installed Hardy have had a good experience. Yet my installation is more "stressed" because of the added packages so it will be more prone to errors.

So my question is an attempt to get feedback and perhaps recommendations on upgrading to Hardy from users and moderators who have well decked out Ubuntu 7.1 systems. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. :wink::wink::-\":-\"):P):P:?::?:

wpshooter
May 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't consider my systems as "well decked out" but from my experience with Hardy "so far", I would say don't do it unless you have a lot of Linux fixing abilities and unless you have a good bit of time to figure out what has going wrong and then fix them.

Good luck.

prshah
May 7th, 2008, 09:15 PM
So my question is an attempt to get feedback and perhaps recommendations on upgrading to Hardy from users and moderators who have well decked out Ubuntu 7.1 systems. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04 on 10+ systems now, without problems except for power failure in one machine during the upgrade. Even that was fixed with a few simple commands (if interested, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=780531&highlight=hardy+wonderful).

I use compiz, awn, screenlets and every other possible bit of eyecandy. I also use xubuntu+compiz on a low end-ish (Celeron 2.2Ghz/256Mb) system. I also use a Fujitsu LifeBook P 5010 ultraportable.

In every case, the upgrade has been painless and has release a whole bunch of new functionality.

However, one important point: I have _only_ intel integrated graphics on _all_ the machines. So if you have an ATI/Nvidia/SiS/Other card and/or dual-head/dual-monitor, I can't really predict your installation experience.

Hope this will help you in making a decision.

jojothehobo
May 7th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I thankn WPShooter and PRShah for their timely and on-topic responses. When I read the Shooter response I shook my head and said that maybe I need to wait a while longer while bugs are worked out. After all, the Hardy distro will be supported for three years, so waiting 6mos to a year will still leave a well supported distro, especially if I'm not having problems with Gutsy, which I think will still be supported for a while longer.

PRShah's reply was an outstanding endorsement of upgrading to Hardy. He clearly has detailed knowledge of which he speaks. After checking on my video card, it seems I have a Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller. I'm running a Compaq nc6220 laptop that is a couple of years old. I'm concluding that I also have an Intel on board graphics processor, but I'll check that.

So right now I'm leaning to checking my video card and following the forum to see when the upgrading "issues" seem to die down. If there are any other responses I'd be appreciated. Thanks again