PDA

View Full Version : And You Thought Having Closed Source Video Drivers Was Bad News... LMAO

newbie2
October 18th, 2005, 08:19 PM
"Drunk drivers in Seminole County in Florida have come up with a simple method of getting out of being convicted for a DUI: Ask how the underlying code of the breathalyzer software works. Seminole County's criminal judges decided a while back that if a defendant is denied information on how the breathalyzer works, the breath test has to be rejected. The conviction rate for DUIs in Seminole County has gone down to about 50%, but it's likely that new laws will be introduced to give the courts more power to convict drunk drivers. Being naked, holding a bottle of Southern Comfort and only being able to say "Gggglllhggghhhh" in response to a Police Officer's questions may become the new standard in being able to convict. Read more at TampaTrib.com."
http://www.communitymx.com/newsletter/06092005.cfm
:razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

macgyver2
October 18th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I would think the same thing would apply to radar and laser detectors, too, though that's not mentioned in the article.

Lovechild
October 18th, 2005, 08:51 PM
So basically we can now make a business out of creating "OpenBreathalizer"..

What's next, OpenPregancyTest... man I hope that one doesn't have a bug.

gray-squirrel
October 18th, 2005, 10:31 PM
I would think the same thing would apply to radar and laser detectors, too, though that's not mentioned in the article.

I forgot about the radar/laser detector detectors. (What a name!)

And the same principle alone should be enough to remove those silly red light and speed cameras in D.C. (or any other city, for that matter). If we knew how the code work, we would know once and for all whether these things are really being used for law enforcement or just as another stream of revenue. I could easily see how those things could be rigged to get people who were indeed obeying the letter and the spirit of the law (an issue discussed on a local talk radio show about two weeks ago).

You know, it could get really easy to put the brakes on the "big brother" concept which the book 1984 was promoting. :D