PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Amarok on ubuntu

3dgimp
May 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Sorry if this is a silly question. People talk about this being KDE-based. So I assume it's on kubuntu. Is it possible to have Amarok on ubuntu which is GNOME?

If not, what's a good alternative audio player for ubuntu?

Monicker
May 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Sorry if this is a silly question. People talk about this being KDE-based. So I assume it's on kubuntu. Is it possible to have Amarok on ubuntu which is GNOME?

If not, what's a good alternative audio player for ubuntu?

Yes, you can run Amarok in gnome.

shifty_powers
May 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM
it is kde based, but it will just install the necessary kde libs for it to work. you don't need to install the full kde desktop to use amarok ;)

just go into synaptic and it will do all the dirty work for you. enjoy :D

3dgimp
May 7th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Awesome! Nice one. I did wonder why it showed up in the synaptic manager.

Freddy
May 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
it is kde based, but it will just install the necessary kde libs for it to work. you don't need to install the full kde desktop to use amarok ;)

just go into synaptic and it will do all the dirty work for you. enjoy :D
You might want to install 'KControl' to or you new shiny amaroK won't shine at all :).

shifty_powers
May 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
You might want to install 'KControl' to or you new shiny amaroK won't shine at all :).

how come? i've got amaraok installed fine wihtout it. why do you need the kde control centre to use amarok?

Freddy
May 7th, 2008, 05:14 PM
how come? i've got amaraok installed fine wihtout it. why do you need the kde control centre to use amarok?
No. of course you don't need Kcontrol to run amaroK. Stuiped of me to write like that.

You need KControl to theme amaroK, which I simply have to. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Monicker
May 7th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I'm curious too. I haven't had any problems running amarok with gnome on my laptop. I don't have kcontrol installed either.

EDIT: guess my previous message was a bit slow. :P

shifty_powers
May 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM
No. of course you don't need Kcontrol to run amaroK. Stuiped of me to write like that.

You need KControl to theme amaroK, which I simply have to. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

heh, ah i see. i'm a bit like that. but amarol fits in nicely with my desktop theme anyways ;)