PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD Drive Issues, DVD's Not Mounting... My Solution

Therion
May 7th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Posting this in hopes that it might help someone else so they don't have to go through as much as I did to find a solution. First, here are the basics of what I did and what I was experiencing when trying to install Hardy Heron (64 bit):

I had a good burn of Hardy Heron 64-bit on known-good media. MD5Sum confirmed... We're good to go. The LiveCD spins up at boot and gives me the preliminary menu just like it should. I hit Enter a couple times to accept English, American keyboard and so forth. The CD spins up for a bit and then, suddenly, everything just stops... No error messages, everything just sort of seems to quit working.

I reboot. This time I remove "quiet" and kill off the splash-screen using F6 at the preliminary menu so I can see what's going on. I find the following error -- which repeats itself about 100 times before dumping me out to BusyBox/Intramfs prompt:

Ultra-DMA 32
End request I/O Error, dev SR0, sec 128
Logical Unit communications CRC error.

The syntax of the error may not be exact, but it's pretty darn close.

Switching DVD-RW drives does NOT help. Both drives are KNOWN good-performers.

Partial Solution #1:

I removed my DVD-RW and replaced it with a DVD-ROM drive. Now I could install from the LiveCD but have NO optical drive support: I can't even READ factory DVD's; the drive is pretty much "dead" even though I see it listed in Places/Computer.

Partial Solution #2

Add all_generic_ide to the end of the kernel line after using F6. This gets my DVD burner recognized and I can run the LiveCD normally. This was a big improvement.

Final Solution:

I replaced the "old school" 40 connector/40 Pin cable with an 80 Connector/40 Pin cable.

All problems resolved immediately after doing so.

Hardy Heron booted off the LiveCD like a champ, installed flawlessly, recognizes the DVD-RW drive properly and plays & burns all optical media just as it should. The cable cost me $5 at my local electronics warehouse.

For the more tech-challenged among us, here's what an 80C/40P ATA cable (http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/img/atacable.gif) looks like. Not so different. Twice as many wires across the cable, but with the same number of pins as your old cable.

Why this solution works (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html), I guess... I really don't know. But here's hoping this information helps someone else.

lemming465
May 11th, 2008, 04:43 AM
The extra grounding wires reduce the electromagnetic noise from the rest of the system leaking onto the data lines of the cable. Less noise means fewer data transfer errors.