PDA

View Full Version : Eee!!!

quinnten83
May 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM
So,
again,
we get stabbed in the back!
http://apcmag.com/windowsbased_eeepc_cheaper_than_linux_one.htm

After Linux makes them great, they turn around and promote windows.
See also the olpc project!

paul101
May 7th, 2008, 03:16 PM
just wait until they start the thing up, they'll be waiting and waiting and waiting...

and waiting :lolflag:

Wobedraggled
May 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
From the article "the XP model has just 12GB of storage, while the Linux version has 20GB"

It's the extra space that is the cause of the price difference.

Lod
May 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
From the article "the XP model has just 12GB of storage, while the Linux version has 20GB"

It's the extra space that is the cause of the price difference.Most people care more about their money than storage space :)

Ub1476
May 7th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I smell Microsoft's money has a hand in this..

However, I don't think those prices are worldwide. Quoted from eeeuser.com:

ASUS has confirmed that the new ASUS Eee PC 900 will begin to be sold in the United States on May 12. Two models will be released: a Windows XP version (12GB) and a Linux version (20GB). The price will be $549 for both models.

tyroeternal
May 7th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Of course microsoft money had a hand in it, they would be insane as a company if they did not push their own product... and as far as the ultramobiles are concerned, that is about the only gun they have to use.

I really hope to be able to find an excuse this year to pick up one of these ultramobiles as all the different vendors start to flood the marked with competition. Its a really promising market for linux to hit the mainstream!

Baby steps to the desktop... baby steps.

noremac
May 7th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Reading this on my Eee right now. However I am definintely runnung eeeXubuntu and could not be happier with its performance. I wish they would support Xubuntu a bit more, but with all the online support, its easy enough to get help with it. They're just doing what makes them the most money, as any company would and should do.

If some average computer user reads that it just has Linux on it, they are going to be timid in buying it. Without having any experience in Linux, most dont want to try it. Of course we all know that it can be a fairly easy operating system to use, but they dont know that and are not really being told so.

At least they still offer the Linux version. And I can't imagine what the start up time is in XP. Xubuntu is just under a minute to a fully loaded Xfce. Not too bad.

Just my take,
Cameron

aysiu
May 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. For an $50 you get an easy-to-use point-and-click interface with a faster boot time, better productivity software (MS Works v. OpenOffice - no contest!), and 8 GB more of storage.

aysiu
May 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. For an $50 you get an easy-to-use point-and-click interface with a faster boot time, better productivity software (MS Works v. OpenOffice - no contest!), and 8 GB more of storage.

Ub1476
May 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM
At least they still offer the Linux version. And I can't imagine what the start up time is in XP. Xubuntu is just under a minute to a fully loaded Xfce. Not too bad.

Just my take,
Cameron

The booting time with XP is equal with Xandros. Performance otherwise is worse on XP of course.

noremac
May 7th, 2008, 06:07 PM
The booting time with XP is equal with Xandros. Performance otherwise is worse on XP of course.

Do you mean boot time with XP is par with Xubuntu? Surely it can't be as fast as the stock Xandros.

I could certainly agree with the fact its slower in all other regards.

phr0ze
May 7th, 2008, 06:12 PM
This makes me angry. They should offer the cheaper one with either windows or Linux and let the extra cost only relate to the extra storage.

phr0ze
May 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Hey everyone, give it a digg. Lets get this to the top.

http://digg.com/hardware/XP_based_Eee_PC_900_to_be_CHEAPER_than_Linux

seatex
May 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM
MS will start giving XP away, in markets where it feels threatened by Linux. They just write it off at this point and make up the cost from Vista and continuing XP sales in other markets.

gn2
May 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM
They're currently both advertised for sale at the same price in the UK.

Ub1476
May 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Do you mean boot time with XP is par with Xubuntu? Surely it can't be as fast as the stock Xandros.

I could certainly agree with the fact its slower in all other regards.

XP boots in 20-30 seconds, same as Xandros (but XP do become slower over time).

I find Windows to be much faster in booting than Linux on fresh install.. I guess we do have the technologies, but don't use them yet:(

Just look at Youtube.

phr0ze
May 7th, 2008, 08:20 PM
There is no way XP is booting faster than the defualt Xandros on the EEE. I think Xandros was clocked at booting in 9 seconds on the EEE. Check youtube.

aysiu
May 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM
There is no way XP is booting faster than the defualt Xandros on the EEE. I think Xandros was clocked at booting in 9 seconds on the EEE. Check youtube.
Reports vary, and I don't know why (since the hardware and OS are the same for all Linux Eees to this point).

I'd seen videos of it booting in 12 seconds or 20 seconds. Mine tends to boot in about 30 seconds (and by boot, I mean from the time I press the power button to the time when wireless is connected).

lespaul_rentals
May 7th, 2008, 08:43 PM
How does everyone like their EeePCs? I want to buy one just for the novelty, if nothing else.

noremac
May 7th, 2008, 10:03 PM
How does everyone like their EeePCs? I want to buy one just for the novelty, if nothing else.

You won't end up having just for the novelty. Its actually VERY useful!! I can do probably 90% on it, of what I do on my large desktop. Sure its not that fast, but its fast enough. And so ridiculously small. I can put it inside its included sleeve (the 4G version that comes with one anyhow) and then also inside of a padded Case Logic case I got for it, then inside my backpack for school, and it is still smaller than most peoples laptops and can do just as much. You will have to decide if you can deal with the default OS, unless you opt to go with XP. I wanted something more similiar to what I had on my desktop so I installed Xubuntu on it.

The keyboard takes some time getting used to, but its not terrible. I am more unhappy with the size of the trackpad than I am of the keyboard. A lot of people claim they can get rid of all their computers and just use it...Nah, I can't anyhow. Its just what I needed (and wanted for that matter) as far as a portable laptop.

-Cameron

klange
May 7th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I'm probably going to get either a 2G (the lowest) or the 4G (the best of the original models...). Depends on whether the decision comes down to money or features. Rather spend $100 and get 512MB more RAM, a faster processor, better battery life and a crappy webcam, personally...
I'm not wasting $500+ on one of the new ones.

sixdrift
May 7th, 2008, 10:25 PM
If you count "boot time" to include "connected to wireless", then boot times will definitely vary depending on the local RF noise, AP, and other wifi issues.

There needs to be a consistent boot point to determine "booted" that does not include the variables of a wireless connection in order to make a valid comparison.

Otherwise I don't mind if they offer XP in addition to Linux. They could offer some other OS as well for that matter. I just don't want them to drop Linux support.

I just see a potential where Asus will bend to the might of MS and drop the Linux support entirely citing some "market response" blather as the excuse.

zmjjmz
May 7th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Are they running XP with an antivirus?
That's a _huge_ drain.

gameryoshi600
May 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hey everyone, give it a digg. Lets get this to the top.

http://digg.com/hardware/XP_based_Eee_PC_900_to_be_CHEAPER_than_Linux

Dugg.
Microsoft must be paying them to make the Windows EeePC cheaper

noremac
May 7th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I'm probably going to get either a 2G (the lowest) or the 4G (the best of the original models...). Depends on whether the decision comes down to money or features. Rather spend $100 and get 512MB more RAM, a faster processor, better battery life and a crappy webcam, personally...
I'm not wasting $500+ on one of the new ones.

I'd recommend the 4G. The 4GB is just enough for all the programs and OS I want. The OS and current programs I have, which isnt a lot, uses 1.9GB. I would not want to cut it that close. Sure you can stick in a SD card, but meh. I dont want to use the SD card for anything but media personally.
Then the decrease in battery life. RAM aint a huge problem since its so easily and cheaply upgradeable. But the others would keep myself away from the 2G.

-Cameron

Lod
May 8th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Although this topic isn't about the specs of the eee still a question about it: how long can you work on the battery?
And furthermore, can you install Ubuntu on it ;)

akiratheoni
May 8th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Although this topic isn't about the specs of the eee still a question about it: how long can you work on the battery?

From what I understand, it would be eeeXubuntu, not Ubuntu. Compiz-Fusion may work but I haven't seen enough of it to confirm. I don't own an eee myself but I was planning to get the newer version next week when they come out here in the States.

But having the Windows version less expensive than the Linux one... it just gives a lower reason to get the Linux one over the Windows one for non-Linux users. I was hoping that the eee pc would help bring at least awareness of Linux but I don't see that happening now, if the price differences are true.

wana10
May 8th, 2008, 07:01 AM
ahhhh, the sweet smell of frightened linux fanboys in the morning.(and fangirls...have to be pc)
the price difference is, thus far, only in the australian market. in europe they cost the same for xp/linux. in hong kong they cost the same for xp/linux. the projected price for the usa has them costing the same for xp/linux.
so why don't all of you just take a moment and calm down...thank you.

akiratheoni
May 8th, 2008, 07:06 AM
But why would there be a difference in Australia but not anywhere else? It confuzzles me :(

popch
May 8th, 2008, 07:12 AM
In europe they cost the same for xp/linux. in hong kong they cost the same for xp/linux. the projected price for the usa has them costing the same for xp/linux.

If it is true that the identical machine costs the same with Windows and Linux, and it is true that Linux comes with a cost of zero per unit sold, then Windows comes with a cost of zero per unit sold, too.

In which case all customers of computers other than the EEE are being had because they pay for something which does not contribute to the cost of the product, or someone is dumping Windows.

Both are measures intended to distort the market. There are several parts in the world where you can be prosecuted for such behavior.

gn2
May 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM

There are two different batteries for the Eee 701 and buying an additional battery is not cost prohibitive, they are fairly inexpensive (in the UK)

The Eee can run Ubuntu but EeeXubuntu would be a better option.

Saint Angeles
May 8th, 2008, 09:29 AM
ahhhh, the sweet smell of frightened linux fanboys in the morning.(and fangirls...have to be pc)
the price difference is, thus far, only in the australian market. in europe they cost the same for xp/linux. in hong kong they cost the same for xp/linux. the projected price for the usa has them costing the same for xp/linux.
how do you dismount from such a high horse?

Tux Aubrey
May 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
the price difference is, thus far, only in the australian market.

Yes indeed. We are MS's testing ground for "innovative" business practices, particularly pricing standover tactics. Dell have even decided not to sell their Ubuntu range here and HP will only release the Vista version of their miniNote (no OpenSUSE for us). We even allow the US to prosecute (on behalf of MS) "software pirates" from Australia who have broken no Australian laws.

It looks like a duck to me.

noremac
May 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM

I can work ~3 hours with wifi and all on. Thats acceptable in my opinion. Plus the power plug for it is so much smaller than the average laptop plug, so I don't mind carrying it with me everywhere.

Many have installed regular Ubuntu on it and have had little problems. However there is a special version of Xubuntu, called eeeXubuntu which someone mentioned and has all the drivers for wifi and keyboard ready to go in it.

lespaul_rentals
May 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM
You won't end up having just for the novelty. Its actually VERY useful!! I can do probably 90% on it, of what I do on my large desktop. Sure its not that fast, but its fast enough. And so ridiculously small. I can put it inside its included sleeve (the 4G version that comes with one anyhow) and then also inside of a padded Case Logic case I got for it, then inside my backpack for school, and it is still smaller than most peoples laptops and can do just as much. You will have to decide if you can deal with the default OS, unless you opt to go with XP. I wanted something more similiar to what I had on my desktop so I installed Xubuntu on it.

The keyboard takes some time getting used to, but its not terrible. I am more unhappy with the size of the trackpad than I am of the keyboard. A lot of people claim they can get rid of all their computers and just use it...Nah, I can't anyhow. Its just what I needed (and wanted for that matter) as far as a portable laptop.

-Cameron

Thanks!

But why would there be a difference in Australia but not anywhere else? It confuzzles me :(

Maybe Microsoft is trying to penetrate the Australian market?

maniacmusician
May 8th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Yes indeed. We are MS's testing ground for "innovative" business practices, particularly pricing standover tactics. Dell have even decided not to sell their Ubuntu range here and HP will only release the Vista version of their miniNote (no OpenSUSE for us). We even allow the US to prosecute (on behalf of MS) "software pirates" from Australia who have broken no Australian laws.

It looks like a duck to me.
Australian politics make me hella sad, TM.

I have a few friends living there, and it's really quite surprising how much goes on there that the rest of the world doesn't acknowledge.